2012 throwdown

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is great news. We got some awesome blends from last year's competition and I hope this year's will be just as fruitful. I've never tried that John Cotton's blend, though...

For anyone who has smoked the original John Cotton blends, what are they like? I never had the pleasure of smoking them.

Smokey

This "Throw Down" competition is an interesting concept, considering those trying to re-create the aspects of the old original blends have some VERY AGED tobacco's to work from. From my personal experience with some 20+ yo English tobacco's that I am able to smoke, they have CHANGED considerably from what my memory tells me they WERE. They still are good and do have many of the traits of the original blend but they ARE NOT what the blends used to be when we smoked them " fresh off the shelf " as we did "back in the day". It is an interesting concept for sure :p

That was 50 years ago. I did settle on the 1 & 2 medium as a favorite. A va lat blend. It was mild on the mouth and a round flavor. The Virginia was sweet and up front with probably Syrian latakia that was smooth.

I had a friend who liked the John Cotton Smyrna that was black and strong. Those were the days when you could smoke in college class lecture halls (man have things changed). He cleaned out the seats for 15 ft around him. Berkeley is a smoke free campus now. :(