2nd attempt at a Bulldog

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
I recently finished this for a chap across the pond, I have to say that I personally find the Bulldog a particularly challenging shape to make but as this was my 2nd attempt at it I fully expect to get better at it in time.

Still haven't found an acceptable way of making the rings so for now I am not doing them, in time I dare say I'll figure something out.

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

Thanks for looking. :sunny:

Well now Kirk, I'd say you have the style well in hand. Very much like the execution of style, including and especially the diamond shank and stem transition. Quite elegant. And the stain makes the flame grain stand out.

I think you did a smashing job mate, and the chap who will be receiving it is a very lucky bloke indeed!

And I hasten to add, the lack of the rings does nothing to diminish the overall effect. Not all 'dogs have them from my casual observation.

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

Wonderful job Kirk, I would happily add that to my bulldog collection :)

Once again kirk, you prove your MASTERY at pipe making !! I don't think many folks realize you do all this with no lathe , just hand tools !! And don't worry about the absence of rings as everything WORKS on this one and they would really be superflorus here. Again another MASTERPIECE sir !! :twisted:

Brewdude":utgyzm91 said:
Well now Kirk, I'd say you have the style well in hand. Very much like the execution of style, including and especially the diamond shank and stem transition. Quite elegant. And the stain makes the flame grain stand out.

I think you did a smashing job mate, and the chap who will be receiving it is a very lucky bloke indeed!

And I hasten to add, the lack of the rings does nothing to diminish the overall effect. Not all 'dogs have them from my casual observation.

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR
Thank you Rande, the absence of the rings does play on me to be quite frank, they do go a long way to defining this particular style of pipe, I've read several suggestions of doing then and have tried a few but have had little success.

My biggest annoyance with this pipe was the stem I used, due to the lack of better tools to use I must resort to using preformed stem and these awful preformed Ebonite stems arrive in the most appalling condition. This one had a serious air bubble hole and some air bubble 'blotches' is the best I can think to describe them near the mortise face so I was forced to do a chair leg groove there, looks okay but this style really shouldn't have that done to the stem.

Meh, I'm not a man of means so must make the best of what I have to hand.

Hiram-2011":n0j1658f said:
Wonderful job Kirk, I would happily add that to my bulldog collection :)
Thank you kindly Shane, once I have found a suitable method of making the rings perhaps we can look at making you a nicer one for your collection, as much as I love the one I made for you already after making this second one I understand how to make this shape a lot better than I did when I made yours, a few more attempts at it and I reckon I'll have a much stronger grasp of it.

monbla256":n76vpljm said:
Once again kirk, you prove your MASTERY at pipe making !! I don't think many folks realize you do all this with no lathe , just hand tools !! And don't worry about the absence of rings as everything WORKS on this one and they would really be superflorus here. Again another MASTERPIECE sir !! :twisted:
So kind of you to say as much Michael, thank you so very much, yes, as much as I would dearly love some machinery to take away the bulk of the workload one must make do with what one has to hand. Been pretty cold out in the shed of late making my hands pretty stiff and numb, so looking forward to the warmer weather so all the filing becomes less difficult and less uncomfortable. I am deeply moved by your very kind compliments my friend, thank you.

Feazelle-n-it":4t0eso6i said:
Great job!! I think the rings wouldn't make it look any better.
Thank you for saying as much, appreciate it very much.

Very nice.

It seems to have just a weeeeee bit more bend, which I really like.

Kirk, it always makes me smile knowing that you've been in your shed again working on another piece. It's what you're meant to do. It's especially impressive knowing the limited resources that you have at your disposal and the pain you experience in your hands. This latest piece of Kirk magic just confirms your ability as a pipesmith. Well done old chap. Seeing this post had made my day.

DireWolf":zik36nbt said:
Very nice.

It seems to have just a weeeeee bit more bend, which I really like.
Appreciate the kindness, thank you.

Yes, I wanted the shank to have a slightly greater incline than is traditionally found in this shape, just one of my quirky idiosyncrasies I guess.

Stick":6bh3q3kc said:
Kirk, it always makes me smile knowing that you've been in your shed again working on another piece.  It's what you're meant to do. It's especially impressive knowing the limited resources that you have at your disposal and the pain you experience in your hands. This latest piece of Kirk magic just confirms your ability as a pipesmith. Well done old chap. Seeing this post had made my day.
What an absolutely charming thing to say old boy, very much appreciated I'm sure, hope you're not getting too cold over there in all that snow.

Great job Kirk! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Truth be told, there are so many variations on the same shape, I don't think the rings really matter.

I suppose you could call this one the "divorced bulldog." :lol:

Briar Spirit":bhiayv7e said:
I recently finished this for a chap across the pond, I have to say that I personally find the Bulldog a particularly challenging shape to make but as this was my 2nd attempt at it I fully expect to get better at it in time.

Still haven't found an acceptable way of making the rings so for now I am not doing them, in time I dare say I'll figure something out.

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

Thanks for looking. :sunny:
After giving this pipe a looong second look it once again is evident that you have an inherent ability to "read" the block you are using and give it THE shape it needs !! And from the grain and it's direction this was THE shape to do !! The "ring" you gave the bit more than makes up for any you might put on the bowl !! As i said before, another MASTERPIECE Kirk !! :twisted:

Dutch":zma23yoq said:
Great job Kirk! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Truth be told, there are so many variations on the same shape, I don't think the rings really matter.

I suppose you could call this one the "divorced bulldog." :lol:
Many thanks for the compliment Buddy.

I reckon the rings could be done okay'ish with a keen needle file set, something I need to look into buying when finances allow.

Like the naming for it Bud, Divorced Bulldog, most amusing play on words there too, like it. :cheers:

monbla256":6pqe9yfx said:
After giving this pipe a looong second look it once again is evident that you have an inherent ability to "read" the block you are using and give it THE shape it needs !! And from the grain and it's direction this was THE shape to do !! The "ring" you gave the bit more than makes up for any you might put on the bowl !! As i said before, another MASTERPIECE Kirk !! :twisted:
So very kind of you Michael, it is not easy to get a nice enough looking pipe out of basic Ebauchons, it would be nice if I were able to afford luxury Briar to readily attain nicely grained pipes but one must make do with what one has to hand in this world. :sunny:

Good to see the magic is still there...another masterpiece, Bro.