3 Oaks or Wilderness? What do you suggest?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psmith

Reaction score
Hello all!

My first post here on this fine forum. I've certainly consulted this site before making many tobacco purchases. Many thanks to those who take the time to share views on various tobaccos.

Well I'm going to begin by asking the masses about their opinions concerning Mclellands 3 Oaks vs. Wilderness. I am really lucky here in Seoul in that there is a great tobacco shop that sells a fine assortment of SG, Mclelland, Rattray, Peterson and Macbaren tobaccos. Davidoff too but its a bit out of my price range...those flake medallions will clean my pocket one day for sure.

Well in a couple of weeks I'm going to make another visit to the shop to purchase either 3 Oaks Syrian or Fred Hana's Wilderness. I really want to experience the Syrian Latakia. Can anyone here help me make a decision? Which one is superior between the two?

Cheers!
Psmith

"Superior" is a heck of a word, not one worth really considering in the long run, or one that's up to you.

3 Oaks was a great way to experience Cyprian and Syrian Latakia independent of each other, as there are both kinds available.

I don't smoke them often, but I really appreciate having them around to keep "tuned" to Latakia. I suggest 3 Oaks for simplicity, as I asked the same question some time ago, and the two variants cleared up my questions in palate quite well.

There are better Latakia mixtures, by far, but 3 Oaks also ain't gonna lie to you.

8)

I think 3 Oaks Syrian is one of the best latakia mixtures I've ever smoked, but I don't care for lat bombs. I've never smoked Wilderness.

I have smoked both and I enjoy both quite a bit. I think it's a bit tough to compare the two however. Wilderness has a bit of Cyprian Lat in it. I noticed it right away when I tried it for the first time. McClelland claims it's just a smidgen of Cyprian, but I think it's enough to make it different from 3 Oaks. To me 3 Oaks S. is a bit more delicate, and to my taster it's Syrian through & through.

While I appreciate both, smoking 3 Oaks taught me I'm actually a smidgen more partial to Cyprian than Syrian Latakia (that was after alternating between one tin of each until they were done). Cyprian I think is more of a challenge to mix just right, and not every blender can do it. It's not a plug-in replacement for Syrian by any stretch, but when done right, can (to me, anyway) go beyond Syrian in many ways. Syrian is almost too easy to get right, because it's so mellow and laid-back. Cyprian can do tricks, or be a total rebellious (monosyllable), but when trained, is amazing.

*shrug*

The other lads have already laid out any and all particulars far better than I ever could, so all I can add is my personal taste on the matter: I've found Three Oaks Syrian to be much tastier than Wilderness; 30S is perhaps less complex, sure, but better executed, maybe? I thought Wilderness was really good, but not one I needed to stock up on, whereas I always want to have a tin of the Three Oaks S on hand. Of note: I've yet to try the Cyprian version of Three Oaks, as I tend to prefer Syrians, but will have to check it out some day...

none of the McC Lat blends are world class if Lat blends are your thing, but the only surviving tobacco that really gives you a good showcase for Syrian is 3 Oaks Syrian. Enjoy the McC Syrian blends while they last, once they're gone you'll never see Syrian Latakia again.

ps.
if you can get your hands on an old tin of GLP Raven's Wing, do. Seriously, just do it no matter the cost.

Thank you very much for your opinions guys. I'm leaning towards the 3 Oaks Syrian. When I get it and give it a go I will be sure to post my views on it. Happy smoking guys!

Personally, I like Wilderness more than 3 Oaks Syrian. But, if you're wanting to see what Syrian latakia is all about, I'd recommend 3 Oaks even though I believe that Wilderness is a more complex, more flavorful, and all around nicer blend. 3 Oaks is blended to showcase the Syrian leaf, while Wilderness is all about balance. Interestingly enough, I think Wilderness actually has more Syrian leaf in it (nearly a third) but the other orientals are powerful enough to make it seem like less than it actually is (it's well balanced, in other words).
Either way you go, though, I think you'll enjoy your purchase. They are both 4-star mixtures, in my book.