4noggins, anybody?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldstogie

Reaction score
Their tobaccos are the best I have found so far. They have their own website, 4noggins.com, and their English blends Owl's Head and Bald Headed Teacher have a perfect amount of Virginias and Latakia to make them interesting, enjoyable, yet mild enough to smoke all day without TB. They also have pleasant room notes and pass the WIFE test! Their Chipman Hill and Lord Methley's are both good choices for mild aromatics and neither offend the smokers palate nor the audiences olfactory senses.

I can heartily recommend a blend you can only find there called Storm Front, under their bulk section blended by a resident BoB'er named John Patton...INCREDIBLE cigar leaf blend!

I have bought a lot of tinned tobacco from them, very good customer service and ship quickly and packaged good.
Will have to try their bulk tobacco based on what u say about them here.
Have not had a single bad experience with the guys over there yet, even thoug i live in Norway the packages arrive quickly and safely.

Olle0047":n5ikdscq said:
I have bought a lot of tinned tobacco from them, very good customer service and ship quickly and packaged good.
Will have to try their bulk tobacco based on what u say about them here.
Have not had a single bad experience with the guys over there yet, even thoug i live in Norway the packages arrive quickly and safely.
I agree!
4Noggins is a top notch operation. Their service really can't be beaten.

I asked many shops and 4noggins probably is the only one online-shop that ships to Italy, so big up to to Rich Gottlieb! :cheers:
In addition his blends are really really good! :albino:

I order most of my tinned tobacco from 4noggins, great service and excellent shipping prices.

I have only had a handful of Rich's house blends but they have all been aromatics. The funny thing is, (and perhaps this speaks to Rich's sense of humor, or more likely the person in his shipping department) I have never ordered an aromatic from them and typically I almost never smoke them. In my last 3 orders I got a sample of Double Fantasy with my 660 Silver Flake, Otter Creek with my order of Wilderness & Gordon Pym, and a blend with deer tongue in it called Mojo with my order of GLP Sextant. I now look forward just as much to these totally off beat samples as the tobacco I paid for.

I'm expecting an order from the noggins man today. Forth or fifth time ordering from them. Always good service with fast shipping of a good product.

They don't claim to have something on hand and then call you several days later and tell you they were out of stock when you placed your order and that it will be weeks before they get your order in. I recently stopped buying from a company because of that practice.

Rich and his crew are good.

Ill have to give them a try. I've looked at their tinned and bulk stuff but never at their house stuff. Also they're the only place in the states you can get Tambolaka too I believe.

+1 on the Tambo thing. Maybe a year of so ago a group here went in on a group buy and the wait was long and tedious. I'm very surprised and pleased that a major vendor here picked up this interesting and powerfull line.

In addition, and I just found this out a few days ago (again here...what a great place this is) that Rick will make up any of the blends of John Patton that are not now produced regularly...in half pound amounts. So if you have a yen for what are arguably blends from the blender with the most significant skills and greatest subtlty (or perhaps in your face flavor, depending on th blend) out there...hop on over to the review site and take a look at the descriptions.

John (a regular poster here) is easily on a par with the top blenders such as Cornell and Diehl, Greg Peace, Carol over at Pipeworks and Wilke, Russ Oulette out of Pipes & Cigars, etc., etc., etc. The only man alive that I would class as his equal or even superior in some ways (and not all, mind you) is Steve Books of the House of Calabash...formerly of Rich's. It's people like these that have aroused the world we live in (meaning WE, the BoB) with exceptionally fine and exciting blends...revitalizing the world of pipe blends like no other time in history. We live in a rich world.

Just made a purchase today for 4oz of Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard, recommended to me in another thread. 4noggins is the only supplier of this highly rated blend. Best thing for me living in CA is that Rich's shipping costs are extremely reasonable. I can think of one particular online vendor that will remain nameless, that gouges big time on shipping to CA.

Blackhorse":2hxg1h4f said:
+1 on the Tambo thing. Maybe a year of so ago a group here went in on a group buy and the wait was long and tedious. I'm very surprised and pleased that a major vendor here picked up this interesting and powerfull line.

In addition, and I just found this out a few days ago (again here...what a great place this is) that Rick will make up any of the blends of John Patton that are not now produced regularly...in half pound amounts. So if you have a yen for what are arguably blends from the blender with the most significant skills and greatest subtlty (or perhaps in your face flavor, depending on th blend) out there...hop on over to the review site and take a look at the descriptions.

John (a regular poster here) is easily on a par with the top blenders such as Cornell and Diehl, Greg Peace, Carol over at Pipeworks and Wilke, Russ Oulette out of Pipes & Cigars, etc., etc., etc. The only man alive that I would class as his equal or even superior in some ways (and not all, mind you) is Steve Books of the House of Calabash...formerly of Rich's. It's people like these that have aroused the world we live in (meaning WE, the BoB) with exceptionally fine and exciting blends...revitalizing the world of pipe blends like no other time in history. We live in a rich world.
Interesting, Ill have to take a look. Any good recommendations for any of the John Patton stuff?

Any good recommendations for any of the John Patton stuff?
That would always depend on what you like. That's the starting point anyway. Now, take into account the fact that I don't smoke Latakia any longer...just don't like it any more. So my comments will bypass blends with that component.

Aside from that I'll say (as I have, long and loud) that StormFront is in a class by itself. Don't be put off by the cigar leaf content thing...cigar leaf blends, per se, do not taste like cigars...that's not the point of using it in the blend. Instead, it adds depth and roundness (as I call it) to the flavor profile. StormFront is made from 2 Burleys and the Cigar Leaf...simple, and yet astonishingly excellent. It's a testament to the fact that it's all about the balance of ingredients.

Aside from that...VA Squire and Quad VA are both very fine. I also like Cool Hand Fluke...a VA/Per that's very smooth, but very in your face...fun stuff and tasty.

Of the one's that are no longer regularly produced, since I've been on a VA/Per/Turkish kick...and also find Cigar Leaf blends very interesting...I think that Oriental Dusk and Crossroads sound very good.

But if you smoke Latakia and like it, then there are far more choices out there for you to pick from. As I said, read the reveiews and descriptions and ingredient list at the review site and come to your own conclusions.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand_detail.cfm?ALPHA=J&BID=332

DrumsAndBeer":k3yhdhdk said:
Just made a purchase today for 4oz of Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard, recommended to me in another thread. 4noggins is the only supplier of this highly rated blend. Best thing for me living in CA is that Rich's shipping costs are extremely reasonable. I can think of one particular online vendor that will remain nameless, that gouges big time on shipping to CA.
BOLB is excellent. You can also find it where it originated (B&B Tobacconists), but 4Noggins makes it real easy.

gravel":cletug96 said:
DrumsAndBeer":cletug96 said:
BOLB is excellent. You can also find it where it originated (B&B Tobacconists), but 4Noggins makes it real easy.
Thanks for the info. What a difference a URL makes. I searched for B&B tobacco on line. Big gap between bbtobacconists.com and bnbtobacco.com