4th pipe...getting better

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PozzSka

Reaction score
So, I made one more pipe from kit (so I can't control the drilling, the draft hole is a little high).

This one looks better, and the stem/shank joint is better, the finish came out pretty nice, and the grain is great.  it's a freehand rhodesian kinda-thing, I don't know, call it whatever you want...

So, without further adieu...pics...

Dang, Nathan! That's pretty darn good for number four, plus the grain is killer. If it had a white spot on the stem it would be worth several grand.  ;) 

Thanks, guys!

I almost stained it too, but after I hit 500grit sandpaper and the grain popped out, I just couldn't do it.

The stem has some wobbly spots from the file (poor technique on my part), so I'm going to go back and even that out, thin out the bit a little, and then polish the stem back up.

Then, hopefully, I'll be purchasing some more wood and some tools and some supplies soon, and make a few more, just to see how it goes. My brother and his wife both requested churchwardens, and my other brother wants a full bent type pipe. So, those will probably be next.

Looks like one DAMN FINE straight Rhodie w/saddle bit!! And I like how you did the natural finish on it. It ALL works! Keep up the FINE work !!  :cheers:

Wow, looks good. You'd never guess you've only made 4 pipes. Nice work.  :cheers: :cheers: 

As said already, for a 4th pipe it looks great.
Take Mr.Coopers recommendation, Tyler has a great site and there's a lot of knowledge there that's
helped me extremely and I only carved one pipe.

Thanks everyone!

And, I have poked around a bit at the makers forum, but it isn't particularly active is it? Or can I not see certain things since I"m not a registered user? I have also read Tyler's open letter before as well. It's very good advice. Thanks for the reminder, I did read it again.

I don't know there's quite a bit of information there without asking.
You did click on FORUM in the upper left hand corner, right?
If you intend to continue carving pipes I would register, although you do have to wait for Tyler to
verify it for you it's well worth the wait.
Most of the member's work during the day so it doesn't really pick up until the weekends or afternoon.

Cartaphilus":ggs9hrdy said:
I don't know there's quite a bit of information there without asking.
You did click on FORUM in the upper left hand corner, right?
If you intend to continue carving pipes I would register, although you do have to wait for Tyler to
verify it for you it's well worth the wait.
Most of the member's work during the day so it doesn't really pick up until the weekends or afternoon.
I do read the rest of it and have learned yes, but the most recent post I saw was from 10 days ago. That's the only reason i commented.

Thanks.

Pipe makers forum has been strangely slow as of recent days. I guess everybody is in their respective shops crankin' instead of yappin'. I spend a lot of time going through the archives just reading everything I can. There is just a mountain of information on there. I had to bug Tyler a few times before I was registered.

Cheers,
Matt

Sweet pipe brother. Really like that shape and the stem to shank transition is really good for # 4.