5 months in...did you learn ANYTHING?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_68

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been at this since early July and I must admit..I think I'm getting better at smoking a pipe. Turns out, though, that the smoking part is only a fraction of the overall picture...I'd welcome other "newbs" (or anyone for that matter) that would like to add to this, but here are some of my findings thus far:

There are 3 main things to try and figure out as early as possible - tobacco moisture level, sipping the smoke(to me more like "coaxing") and packing pressure.
1. - Realize that different brands(as well as different cuts) ship their product at different moisture levels so you need to figure out the "press/release" method of determining moisture content. Remember too that moisture plays into tongue bite!
2. - Sipping the smoke instead of taking a "drag" is a good way to describe it, for me I've actually decided I'm just trying to coax smoke through the bit end versus dragging at all...seems to be a better mental note for me. Remember, how strong you drag plays into tongue bite!
3. - Pressure applied when packing your toby is critical, too much and you won't be able to get any smoke, too loose and you have air spaces within the tobacco which will get really HOT. Take time to get good at packing, maybe pack and repack a bowl every now and again to get some "feel" for it. Remember too that how you pack the bowl plays into tongue bite!

Knowing the above seems of utmost importance because taking them OUT of the equation puts me in a position to know if a certain pipe or tobacco isn't to my liking for something other than not knowing the above 3 things!

I'm also VERY glad for BoB....I've gathered more valuable info from a few hours searching/reading here than I could have hoped and I know it's making my journey much easier. Sure, I still make mistakes but at least I can learn from them and if I choose to post here, maybe help some others NOT making the mistakes I did.

Thanks for listening, any others that would like to add in please do! I'm just really enjoying my new hobby and the Brotherhood has been a big part of it!

Have a good day all! :afro:

Good thread to start, Mike. 8)

Personally, I guess I had a good handle on the pack/smoke routine, though I understand why it is important, it wasn't a struggle for me. Then again, I did smoke a pipe for about four years in my teens, and had someone teach me how to do it. My main thing is not to stress about it. If it's the inevitable packed-too-tight (or loose) bowl, test the air flow, unload and try again if needed. If you relight a few times, don't worry about it. I hardly ever noticed, even in the beginning. I guess if you get a good smoke, remember what you did, try and repeat that process.

My challenge is finding out what quality pipes and tobacco actually means, how to properly store them, clean them, and appreciate them. I'm still learning, but I can contribute my BoB University lessons to this end:

1.) Buy the best pipe your money can buy. Even if it's a cob, get the best damn cob you can. :)
2.) Don't use (and definitely DO remove) filters, metal or otherwise. They're trouble from the start. :)
3.) Follow your tongue and nose with tobacco. Don't be afraid if your taste changes, because it will. :)
4.) Keep everything simple. This is a project of meditation, your pipe is the tool. Relax. :)
5.) Keep a fund: PAD and TAD are wretched and wonderful little things, and must be respected. :lol:

BoB is awesome, and has helped me. Plus, they haven't kicked me out yet. :lol: 8)

For everything non-PG loaded. Moisture, moisture, moisture. I'll go against some of the grain here. Dry as a bone makes a smoke fall flat. If you can't fold over a ribbon without breaking it, it's too dry, IMHO. I know a lot of people dry. If it's a blend coming from C&D then the level in tin right at first openning I find is perfect.

ZeroContent":qepibohf said:
For everything non-PG loaded. Moisture, moisture, moisture. I'll go against some of the grain here. Dry as a bone makes a smoke fall flat. If you can't fold over a ribbon without breaking it, it's too dry, IMHO. I know a lot of people dry. If it's a blend coming from C&D then the level in tin right at first openning I find is perfect.
Heck no, I'm with ya: "Springy but not sticky." If I hear even the slightest sign of cracking, I'm concerned. Plus I have yet to experience the propylene glycol stuff. If I can help it.

Thanks for joining in guys...I've been really trying to learn/understand what is my "personal" optimum moisture level and as I've become better at knowing it by touch, it seems to be helping a great deal!

I like this thread, i think there are quite a few good tips here. Let's see if I can add anything...

1. Slow Down. Take Your Time. Pipe smoking is calming and relaxing. Do not get in a hurry.
2. Tobacco moisture levels depend upon the type/cut/blend and personal preference, find what works for you and stick with it.
3. A good pipe makes all the difference. Good doesn't have to mean expensive, as I have MM Cobs that smoke as well as any briar i've got. You don't have to spend $300 or more to get a good pipe.
4. Experiment with different blends and cuts. Don't get stuck in a routine where you only smoke 1 or 2 blends. Add a little variety.

BOB is great. Lots of good people here and a great knowledge base.

I definately like the "experiment" tip...I've really enjoyed trying flake and cube cut which I didn't even know existed...after trying them I've been lookin for more!

Good stuff!