$500 GBD?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ftrplt":1ij79m6p said:
Do some research. The price is high, but not completely out of line.

AFTRPLT
That was my problem, research yield almost no information, which in hindsight should have been the proverbial clue-phone ringing.....

That was my problem, research yield almost no information, which in hindsight should have been the proverbial clue-phone ringing..... [/quote]

Whoops!! Not my quote!! That was from GLP!!!! My reply was only the last two sentences!!!!!! FTRPLT

ftrplt":n183c74h said:

That was my problem, research yield almost no information, which in hindsight should have been the proverbial clue-phone ringing.....
Whoops!! Not my quote!! That was from GLP!!!! My reply was only the last two sentences!!!!!! FTRPLT[/quote]

Gotcha!

I was watching this French made Speciale 9438 on Ebay last night.  Given the condition, I was surprised how high it went:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GBD-Speciale-No-9438-/251425726779?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Then, I remembered this thread.  I also find a Speciale 9438 on Greg's GBD page.  Like the Originale in this thread, I don't recall seeing a Speciale 9438 on Ebay.  

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

Al,
Personally I thought the pipe would bring more than it did. It has become one of the most collected shapes probably for two reasons. YOU and Neill Roan. LOL
Yes, there are many other collectors out there that cherish that shape in a pipe, but it's get a lot of attention from a few collectors that blog and spend a lot of time advertising the attachment they have to that shape. Even going to the pipe shows, that shape of Rhodesian gets scooped up even before she show opens to the public. In the past year I have sold two Rhodesian pipes to the tune of $1,000. and I wish I had more of them because they'd be on the auction block.
Just my opinions voiced here of course but I think many will agree with me. Collectors have a big impact on the collectibility of pipe shapes and makers.
One individual that I personally acknowledge is Rick Newcombe who probably had the biggest impact on the prices and collectibility of Danish pipes in the USA. Rick is a devout collector/smoker of the finest Danish makers, has extensive knowledge about them, has published many articles and books, and is a gentleman that will give his opinion honestly and freely to anyone interested in those pipes. This creates a community of followers and collectors that make a brand or shape very desirable. And it increases the value immensely of a collection that one may accrue over time.

Another very talented individual that has done similar is Neil Roan. IMO he has done more for the collecting of Comoy's Blue Riband pipes than anyone ever. And is going to publish a book/catalog on the brand in the near future.
My opinion again, but I think it's great to have someone focus on their love for a particular pipe or maker and create interest in the collecting, history, and smoking qualities of these pipes and sharing their knowledge with others.
Enough rambling for now. LOL
Andy

You guys should have been around when I sold most of my collection in 2011. I sold about three dozen 9438 and 9242. One guy bought about 500 of my pipes and it seems like I got $100 a piece for those. Of course I could have gotten more selling one at a time, but when one person wants to buy it all....

I kept a couple dozen of them, including a couple real old ones made in France. Still seldom smoke them.

I have a very large GBD Virgin Colossus, which looks like a 9438 on steroids. It is probably 50% larger than a regular 9438. There is no shape number stamped on the pipe.

Mike

hagley":c8qd0fbs said:
You guys should have been around when I sold most of my collection in 2011.  Of course I could have gotten more selling one at a time, but when one person wants to buy it all....

Mike
I was around, and Rodrigo probably still has more of those to sell.

What I want to know is are you boasting? or complaining?  :lol!: :lol!: 

Doc:  I think you're giving me too much credit.  I agree on Neills influence!

Mike:  I also have a GBD Colossus Seventy-Six and it is stamped 9676.  Mike Glukler has a similar pipe for sale last year.  It is a oversized 9438, weighing 82 grams, most of my 9438's are right at 55 grams.

I grabbed my first French-made GBD last night. An "Originale 569M" listed by Smokers Haven. The top has some dings, but I'm hoping to lift some of those out. Thanks to GLP's comments, I felt confident enough info to make the buy.

Hey, I restored that pipe!  :mrgreen:

Premal at Smoker's Haven has a few more estate GBDs of a similar shape. I should know I restored those too.

Ocelot55":8fc6wgpu said:

Premal at Smoker's Haven has a few more estate GBDs of a similar shape. I should know I restored those too.
That is good news and bad news. I was hoping that I could lift out some of those dents on the bowl top, but I assume you already tried.

I also bought this Virgin straight Rhodesian, my first GBD with the "Hand Cut" stem stamp.

riff raff":o7t9b9op said:
Ocelot55":o7t9b9op said:

That is good news and bad news.  I was hoping that I could lift out some of those dents on the bowl top, but I assume you already tried.  

I also bought this Virgin straight Rhodesian, my first GBD with the "Hand Cut" stem stamp.
Ha, I restored that one too!

Because of the fixed cost associated with cleaning a pipe versus it's projected value a lot of things that could be done from a restoration standpoint are looked over. On a GBD like that we didn't expect the retail to be high so While I could have steamed or even refinished the rim I did not. We basically just thoroughly clean and buff the pipes. Exceptions are high value pipes.

I bet you could work on the rim a little bit to help get those dings out, but I don't think they can all be removed without altering the shape dramatically.

Those dents didn't come out, so I gave the stem a micromesh shine and she's ready to roll this morning. Even with the character marks, I'm pretty thrilled with this one (and the Originale, post to come later)