7th Annual Spring Forward Box Pass.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gandalfpc,
I love the photo pairigs of pipes / tobaccos
Nice touch and great report.

A great pleasure all around :)

Finished up today, packed up the box, trucked down to the local UPS store - and made the mistake of telling them what it was. No mailing tobacco from there :(

I will make a fresh and more clandestine attempt to mail it tomorrow..

---------

So here's how it wrapped up:

Final samplings:

Mt Marcy - more molehill than mountain, but not terrible :)
boxpass36.jpg

Uhle's Blend 300 - not my cup of tea, but also not bad.
boxpass37.jpg

4noggins Jessie's Own and Billy Budd - really liked the BB
boxpass38.jpg

A trio of orientals - the #1 was the best of the bunch
boxpass39.jpg

PS Navy Flake and McCrannies 9 to 5 - both nice blends
boxpass42.jpg

A few bowls each of some samples taken for trying later:

boxpass43.jpg

boxpass44.jpg

boxpass45.jpg

boxpass46.jpg

boxpass47.jpg

samples added:

G&H:
Ennerdale Flake
Coniston Cut Plug
Dark Birdseye
Kendal Dark
Glengarry Flake
Boson Cut Plug

Mac Baren Vanilla Flake

McClelland Club Blend - Ringlow Syrian

GL Pease Stratford 06

Boswells Christmas Cookie

Lancer Slices

SHPC VR Blend

boxpass48.jpg

boxpass49.jpg

Tins taken:

boxpass41.jpg

Tins added:

boxpass40.jpg

Depleted samples: (only a bowl left of each when they arrived, and thus, they are no more)

Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky

Uhle's Crushed White Burley

-----

and that's all she wrote :)

If you take it to a post office (not the UPS store) they will only ask you if there's anything flammable, perishable, etc in the package, and you simply reply "No". You don't have to declare the contents (but you can always just say that it's craft supplies). They are probably cheaper anyhow, and you'll get tracking #.

Thanks - my problem started when I packed the box - just a bit too much stuff jammed into the box to be sure the tins would arrive undamaged - I had hoped the UPS store could help me out with a box a size larger.

I will repack the stuff tonight into two boxes most likely to be sure everything is safe, and then it's off to the post office where mum is the word :)

Many thanks to all :)

Boxes in the mail - delivery confirms: 03091140000020126065 and 03091140000020126058

Better get your tongue ready Puff Daddy - mine is just starting to recover :)

Well, she is here 8). Smoking a bowl of the Greenfield and Winther white burley as I write this 8) . As the final contestant and divider of the loot, I am doing the sorting. Have a PB box going ( :) ) and a box for the troops being put together, and am setting aside stuff for myself to sample.

Reports to follow.

Old Joe Krantz - Almost gone, a bit dry, but a good solid burley smoke.

VR blend - A bit mild for my taste.

Exhausted Rooster - This smells and tastes like the same exact topping that McClelland uses on their 5115, but without the bite that 5115 has. Not bad at all. Different.

Walnut from the 70's - the Syrian comes through, but unfortunately that's about it. Too old I think, the stuff just gave up the ghost.

Glengarry flake - Good stuff! Smoking some as I write this in an Ashton Pebble Shell billiard. Excellent! Kind of mild, the Lakeland essence is quite subdued (which is how I like it).

Best Brown - The last of it. A good smoke but awfully mild.

Ringlow Syrian - Pretty good stuff. The Syrian is very lightly used, has less of a presence that MacBaren's HH Vintage, but the supporting tobaccos are better and the overall composition comes out nicer in the Ringlow. It starts out almost too mild, but builds nicely and by mid bowl cruises right along with a very fine flavor.

Savinelli Black Cavendish - Meh. Next?

Boswell Christmas Cookie - next please (just another good smelling aromatic on flavorless fluff).

Peterson Sweet Killarney - Let's just say, I'm done with these aro's, they all suck.

Shortcut to Mushrooms - OK, this is an Aro, just another relabeled thang that's got some underlying stewed latakia thing going on over a sweetened dark cavendish base. I've smoked this before, as a Tinderbox blend I believe, and it ain't half bad. Wouldn't buy it, but it wasn't half bad.

How about you quit dancing around and tell us how you really feel about these aros,,, :lol!: