Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypipester

Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask if anybody's tried McClelland's replacement for 965. I haven't heard much of anything about it and was wondering if it compares very well. Are there any others you would recommend as a replacement (hopefully it'll eventually come back, but who knows)?

Haven't tried the McClelland ("9 to 5") but the Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club's "Great Hiatus" is wonderful, and it's supposed to be a (pre-outsource) 965 tribute. I never had the classic version of 965, but GH stands on its own as really quite good. (Somewhere in the Reviews area I blather on about it at length... :roll: )

Doc Manhattan":5cvar4xx said:
Haven't tried the McClelland ("9 to 5") but the Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club's "Great Hiatus" is wonderful, and it's supposed to be a (pre-outsource) 965 tribute. I never had the classic version of 965, but GH stands on its own as really quite good. (Somewhere in the Reviews area I blather on about it at length... :roll: )
Wonderful. I just bought a tin of GH. Now I'm looking forward to trying it even more.

Thanks for the recommendation! I ordered a tin of it which shipped out today (along w some more Frog Morton to replenish my stocks, and some And So To Bed, which I also look forward to trying), so I should hopefully get it on Wednesday, which I have off work :)

I foresee a smoke-filled day in my mancave (it's m' basement,and not the most aesthetically pleasing, but it has great heating, and I can smoke in peace, so how can I complain?)...

I'll give my initial thoughts on it once I give it a try.

Doc,

Unfortunately, my tin of GH didn't come till yesterday, but better late than never :) I have to say that this seems like a really great blend even from just one bowl of it. It seems, at the least, to share several characteristics with the 965 I've tried. Wonderful consistency and balance is what I liked so much about 965, and is also what I like abt this blend.

Your review did a wonderful job of expressing this baccy, so I won't go further into detail, and I agree w it 100%.

I think I will buy many more tins of this...