9mm filters

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED_X

Reaction score
Can a pipe made to hold a 9mm filter be smoked without the filter? Are there any problems associated with not using a filter in a pipe designed for one?

Thanks
Ed

I have several 9mm filter pipes.. personally I just leave them out and smoke them as I normally would

you could make a plug, but its not really necessary... just make sure you clean it a little more often.. think of it as having a reverse calabash ;-)

there is really no issues with smoking without a filter.. personally I find the filters constricting in air flow, but I have not and do not use the filter/no filter as a decision point in pipe purchases

james

I agree with James. One of my very best smokers is a Savinelli Duca Carlo made for balsa filters. I don't like or use filters and don't have or use the insert that is supposed to be in a filters place and it smokes very well without.

I have a Baraccini natural briar pipe that would be one of my favorite pipes if the draw was not so un-restricted. It is very frustrating trying to smoke and constantly tamp down the tobacco to get a bit of restriction. In regards to my Peterson Dublin 9mm Filter Briar No.06 that I got from the UK, without the filter the restriction is even more less than the Baraccini. I could never even think of trying the Peterson with out a filter or adapter. It would probably drive me crazy. Just my two cents.

The draw on my Savinelli seems just right without the filter. I wonder if the rest of the airway is small enough that it compensates for the open gap where the filter is supposed to be. Or, will the draw only be as open as the most restricted part? I think it's the latter since a calabash doesn't necessarily have a draw that is too open. Makes me wonder if the airway on your Baraccini isn't too open throughout the airway. I dunno.

You can smoke it just fine without the filter. I was advised against using those adapters when I originally asked the same question about a year ago because they can get moisture up under them and cause a off flavor in your smoke. I have had no issues smoking without a filter.

If the open draw is causing a problem then cut a pipe cleaner in half, fold one of the cut pieces in half and stuff that in where the filter would normally go.

This will give you some restriction, like a filter would, and is inexpensive and easy to replace.