A bag of samples

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
Evening all.

I'm sat in my back garden watching a male blackbird play tug o war with a worm. I have a cob on the go with a bowl of C&D's Irish Blessing - an interesting looking blend, quite dark and chunky and a little dry out of the bag for my liking. It's quiet apart from the birds beckoning the night time shift, and the sky to the west is turning pastel pink. Everything seems right in the world.

I recently pointed my Uncle in the direction of a baccy vendor who'll be well known to most and in return he sent me a bunch of samples. In the order that I pull them out of the bag, here's what I've got:

4N's Double Fantasy
Lane 1 - Q
4N's Otter Creek
Capn Black, dark
4N's Killington
Capn Black, Gold
Lane Very Cherry
C&D Autumn Evening
Capn Black Royal
PS Nat Dutch Cavendish
4N's Thomas Blend
PS Mango
H&H Trout Stream
H&H Butternut Burley
Dunhill Sweet Toasted Cavendish
Sutliff Mark Twain
4N's Owl Head
Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish
4N's Imagine
C&D Irish Blessing

I've not trodden the aro path for a while now but with this little lot I have a new course set for the summer - I recon it'll take me that long to get thru it all with a few diversions along the way.

I'm going against the grain here in another way too. Ordinarily I'd invest time in researching a blend before trying but with this batch I'm just going to pack, smoke, and ponder.

Does anyone have any favourites in this list?

Only one I've tried is the H&H Butternut Burley. Not too shabby a smoke :D I found it to smoke well in a cob and a clay!! Never tried it in a briar for some reason. Let us know how your trip back into "aro land" worked out :lol: :cheers: FTRPLT

I see a couple of friends mentioned. Trout Stream is a favorite and I smoke it straight and sometimes I mix it with another blend. It really goes well with GLP's Jack Knife Plug and with McC 5100 RC. I mix them both 50/50. Warning: If you don't like a sweet tasting tobacco leave this alone. Killington is another blend I use to mix with other blends when I want to add just a small bit of sweetness. It's also a right fair smoke on its own. I've tried several of the other blends but they didn't make the grade with me. YMMV. :)

AJ

David me ol' mate, that's quite the sampler and no mistake!

Sorry tho, I've not have any of them so can't tell you anything about them. I'm not an aro guy anyroad, as you'll probably know.

Hope you'll find these interesting. Please report back.

Cheers,

RR

I have a bit of C&D Autumn Eve somewhere abouts.. I know I opened it, but I don't recall impressions.......

Wait a tic, I'll get back to you............

You've got quite a bit of sampling to do... I've only had the Lane 1-Q. I think it delivers, but it's been a while.

I came home tonight and despite a busy household out of nowhere came the notion that I had to stick my nose in the big bag of samples.

If heaven had a smell :cheers:

Lane 1-Q is a hi quality aro; I have a tin of Irish Blessing but have yet to open it....have too many tins open right now....enjoy! I don't consider myself an aromatic fan, but if you don't look for too much, and get a hi-quality tobacco (like 1-Q) that's not overly sweet, hey can be enjoyable, and don't drive away company.....

Sounds like you are in the land of aros now Stick. Nice allotment you got there, especially the 4noggins ones. Enjoy the journey. I find smoking as many kinds of tobacco is important to develop a palate. Well everyone does I suppose. But the funny thing is, I find, the more different tobaccos you try the harder it is to have favorites. As your palate develops your perceptions of favorites gets altered...replaced by new favorites.
What are you smoking all those aros in? Did you pick up some cobs or are you just going to blast them through your beloved briars?

I'm learning to like some aromatics. The appeal of most tends to fade after a few bowls. The worst among them are like smoking scented hot air. One that continues its appeal to me is Autumn Evening, which I now buy in 8 oz. cans, so I can vouch for that one. But you're not going to believe this: your tastes may differ! ;)

Psmith":yuhivcmy said:
Sounds like you are in the land of aros now Stick. Nice allotment you got there, especially the 4noggins ones. Enjoy the journey.  I find smoking as many kinds of tobacco is important to develop a palate. Well everyone does I suppose. But the funny thing is, I find, the more different tobaccos you try the harder it is to have favorites.  As your palate develops your perceptions of favorites gets altered...replaced by new favorites.
What are you smoking all those aros in?  Did you pick up some cobs or are you just going to blast them through your beloved briars?  
Evening Smudger,

Yup, I'm enjoying the 4 Nogs blends too. As for the pipe, as it happens I am using a cob but not to protect my briars. I'm just really enjoying my cobs at the moment. I'm not too particular about saving pipes for certain blends as my palate isn't developed enough to detect any ghosting.

I'll report back my findings when I get through a few.

Stick":rxsvtwll said:
Hey thanks Wiz. And do you like it?
It's wonderful with a nice Espresso, or cooler evenings. Yah, it's nice and comforting, though a bit light.

Cherry and tobacco should be a banned combination. Nasty, Nasty, Nasty.

Butternut Burley is some good stuff.

puros_bran":7jjpyasn said:
Cherry and tobacco should be a banned combination.  Nasty, Nasty, Nasty.
Especially Paladin's Black Cherry. It's the worst of the worst. :)

AJ