A bowl and a beverage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortcircuit

Reaction score
I just finished a bowl of the Tobacco Barn's (a local pipe shop) Ebony Gold and I was sipping on a Dr. Pepper when I realized that the Dr. Pepper seemed to bring out the vanilla flavoring in the blend. It was rather pleasant. So, do you have a preferred drink with certain blends? Water, beer, soda, iced tea, scotch, whiskey?

I like black coffee with just about everything. But lately I've taken a pointer from SP snuffs and drink Earl Grey tea with Virginia-heavy tobaccos.

Mississippi Mud and Killians Red put the stars in proper alignment with the moon.

Key Largo or Robusto and a fresh cup of joe start the morning off right.

A piping hot cuppa Earl Gray with Dunhill EMP is perfect for starting the day. Ending the day I prefer Frog Morton paired up with a smooth scotch or Irish Whiskey.

Peterson luxury blend and rum w/twist
HOW and Bourbon on ice
CH and coffee

Thick black coffee or strong tea in the a.m.; IPA, porter, stout or single malt in the p.m. Tobacco depends on what I have open at the time!! FTRPLT

Cooincidental you bring up this topic as I had planned to post about a wonderful new combination I found last night and wanted to know about other people's favorite combo. Thanks!

Anyway, the "new" found combo I had last night was a Manhattan (on the rocks) with a mixture of 1/3 each of MC 2015, MC 5100, and Marlin Flake. This combo really seemed to bring out the flavor of both the tobacco and drink.

Jim

Coffee w/ cream and sugar when I'm smoking aromatics
Earl Gray with Virginia's and Green Tea when I'm smoking English
I don't drink alcohol except for wine and I happened to find that a Pinot Noir works really well when I'm smoking Pembroke. Makes the smoke more flavorful.

Ol'Dawg":qrx6tizj said:
Cooincidental you bring up this topic as I had planned to post about a wonderful new combination I found last night and wanted to know about other people's favorite combo. Thanks!

Anyway, the "new" found combo I had last night was a Manhattan (on the rocks) with a mixture of 1/3 each of MC 2015, MC 5100, and Marlin Flake. This combo really seemed to bring out the flavor of both the tobacco and drink.

Jim
I have my, “my own blend” 1/3 latakia, 2/3 no-name cheap bulk Vaper flake with some extra oriental leaf thrown in. It has been jarred for about 6 months now and has married nicely. It is sort of a hammer of a blend, but with a good Gin martini (extra dry, and really just cold gin in a glass) accompanying it…well, those two jokers are wild. The spiciness of the smoke works with the gin, and brings out the sweetness of both. Like a camp fire in a pipe forest.

It's good to know tea works well with a lot of blends. I've got loads of it and need a reason to drink it all.

Long Golden Flake with Dong Ding Oolong tea prepared gong fu style.

Columbian dark roasted coffee (unsweetened) with FVF, Bourbon with Carter Hall Burley and GLP Odyssey and Tea with everything.

I found coffee with cream (half n half) went well with GLP Key Largo.
Scotch with Squadron Leader. I havent hit on any more matches yet.

I'm not sure if you meant spirits. But if you did, I find scotch brings out the flavor of latakia.

I like bourbon with VA. Or just plain beer.

I too will enjoy a cup of coffee with pipes, but I'm more of a tea drinker.

Nice English breakfast (or Irish breakfast) I like with VAs and burleys.

I tend to drink more green, white, or oolong with English and latakia blends.

Sometimes, a big ole glass of cool sometimes hits the spot with a bowl of tobacco.

For cigars, I like beer, any kind: lager, ale, wheat...

Earl Gray tea works with just about ay English/Balkan concoction out there for me, something about the interplay of bergamont and Orientals/Latakia just works for me.

With Virginia based mixtures VA Flakes, Vapers and such I prefer strong black coffee ( Cafe Du Monde being a standby for me) I find the flavors complimentary to each other, when the coffee itself isn't sweet this seems to enhance the sweetness of the Virginia, while to tobacco enhances more caramel flavors from the coffee.

The rest of the time you will find me with a mason jar full of slightly sweetened iced tea, which is fairly neutral in flavor.

I no longer drink 'adult beverages' as I exceeded my life's quota several years ago.

Back in the day though you would find me with John Powers, Jamesons or a fine single malt when smoking just about anything. I also found that a good Bourbon (Makers Mark or something similar) goes very well with Burley based mixtures.

Captain Black and RC Cola is another one. Usually during lunch break at work or driving down the highway. Neither require much tending to.

Perhaps a bit unoriginal on my part, but a bowl of Peterson's Old Dublin and a glass of Guinness is taking one's ease epitomized.

Early morning cup of coffe and a pipe full of John Middleton Walnut is just about as good as it gets!!!