A 'Brog' and the 'alternatives'??

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefBull

Reaction score
Looking on line and seeing 'Mr. Brog'
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm? very interesting, some shapes pleasing to the eye,
and some?....well I guess we each have our own senses of the esthetic...
So what is Mr. Brog like, give me the ups and downs?
Is 'Pear wood' root a reasonable briar alternative?
The 'Pear' is a naturally sugar laden fruit, would this nature predispose the tissue of the root to lend a sweet character to a smoke with this type of bowl?
I have noticed also in my favorite Pipeshop, [not 'flacking' here but I'm 'flacking'] FireHouse Smokeshop Fall River, Mass. good folks has a bargains bowl so to speak.
Went through and found a full bent "apple bowl" that I liked very much. Finished a deep mahogany. Was very much pleased with my choice; broke it in on a 'cube cut burley' and it was as gentle on the tongue as ever.
The pipe is stamped with 'Czech'; so, I shall assume here that it is Czech made. Well and good.
Went through the bowl and they are all 'Czech'. Soooo? Do the Czechs dominate? in this region what with the Euro market market situation?
Bought a saddle bit long billiard with something of a broad fish tail at the bit's end but very comfortable and it smoked with no quirks.
Interest pricked and perked as it were, I bought a fat Rhodesian looked as if it could have been a GBD beautiful sandblasted relief grain, again 'Czech', that is absolutely sensational. First firing was with Peterson 'Nutty Cut' and was very pleased.
So what is the story with the Czechs? Asked Jack the owner about it. He thinks? they are briar, not that it makes a 'heap of Burley' to me. Can anybody without laughing help here? I am pleasantly pleased with these Pipes and am well past the stage in my life, where it really isn't that important to be seen with the best.
Also!!! Rattray's Piper's Blend anyone has an idea what this is like?

regards
tiocfaidh A`rL'a
ChiefBull

E776D2A8-7C69-46B7-AD78-98E32B2F7DAF_zpsfpaerbyc.jpg

Just got my second Mr Brog today, I really like these pipes. I find them to be a great value and great smoking pipes.

Damn, and your puss with a Corncob two?
Ya' like Burley and Balkan blends?
Musta' read my book, huh?.
I've always been a bit chary of a shirt stemmed Pipe; this Brog isn't a tongue burner is it?
Think eye'll take a look and settle on one.
One of the reasons I've been partial to Churchwardens is because of their long draw.
Have two of the "Czechs" that 'she who must be obeyed'[Wife] calls my "Hobbit Pipes.
Incredibly smooth and cool draws. When I'm in a reflective mood and not trying to save the world I smoke one.
Good talkin' twoya'

Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

First smoke was really good in it.
I am now smoking a bowl of Gaslight in a Brog #14 Churchwarden, another fine pipe.
I don't think you will be disappointed with a Brog

And did it
Ordered an 'Old Army' full bent with the 'Kaiser Cap' and a full bent Army
We'll see what we'll see; the 'Old Army' looks like a really good work Pipe.
I think the cube cut burley [what I generally smoke] will match it well, initially.
Ya' ever smoked a Brog with an English blend like Presbyterian?
If these bad boys smoke! I think that that Viking is very pretty.

regards
Anchor'sAweigh/SemperFi
ChiefBull

I've had my MrB #52 Scoot for a few days now and I am quite impressed. It is surprisingly large, it holds more tobacco than any of my other, small, collection of pipes. Because of the thickness of the bowl it is cool to hold. It is well drilled and the draft hole is dead centre bottom of the bowl. I cannot pass a pipe cleaner from button to heel because the stem is designed to hold a filter, and this void space prevents the cleaner finding the hole in the shank. No drama tho: this pipe is sturdy and cheap enough to break apart when in use.

Because of its thickness, and the shortness of the stem, this is a good travel or work pipe. It fits into a pocket easy enough and there are no fine parts to snap.

It is an easy smoker, and the draft diameter is ideal for me. Only slightly larger than old British and European drafts. (This could be that my older pipes have narrowed slightly)

Mine arrived with dents already evident on the pear wood. I assume this is from normal handling and that it indicates the wood is much softer than briar. The stain is sparse in parts and I expect that unless this wood darkens the way briar does, then it will start to look shaggy before long.

This is my new beater pipe.