A Caution About Shipping Charges

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiltjlp

Reaction score
Byron Oost sells tobacco and pipes at very good prices, but a recent order I received from him raises suspicion about his shipping charges. When I received my latest order from Byron, I noticed that the Priority Mail charge was $5.95, but that Byron had charged my credit card $10.95. an extra $5.00. I of course e-mailed Byron complaining about being overcharged for shipping, and within minutes got a phone call from him.

He claimed that he had guesstimated the shipping, only to have it be less when he went to the post office. He offered to either give me credit on my next order, or to refund my credit card, which is what I requested. Of course ny credit card and bank don’t show refund this quickly. When I told him he could check USPS rates online, Byron said he didn’t have a computer at work. But how was he able to check his e-mail so quickly?

So, my suggestion is that if you deal with Byron Oost, be sure to check your invoice against the postage marked on your package. Yes, I’ll probably get my $5.00 overcharge back, but I’m sure I wouldn’t have if I hadn’t noticed it and complained. Just a friendly Heads Up folks.

PS: I just noticed an e-mail from Byon claiming he phoned me before he read my e-mail, but I don’t buy that. Seems odd he would just happen to call me five minutes after I sent him an e-mail. I still have to wonder about anyone who simply guesses at shipping costs rather than checking to make sure what they are.

I can't speak to this transaction one way or another, but I can say that it is VERY easy to be surprised on shipping charges. They're all over the place and trying to do accurate calculations in advance is a waste of time in many cases. Something a state away might cost $5 but the same box going to CA might be $9, plus there is the question of different types of mail people prefer, not to mention the costs of boxes, packing materials, and working time spent boxing and taking the packages to the PO. Really, $5 more than the postage price probably doesn't cover his working time expended in the shipping process - That's why it's calling "Shipping AND Handling". I know we routinely add in a few extra bucks to shipping charges to cover these costs, because boxes and packing aren't free and trips to the PO are lost working time. If this fellow is trying to get rich by being a cheat, he'd do much better on Wall Street than by banking on $5 overcharges snuck into the occasional pipe shipment.

I have only ordered from Byron once and had a good experience. Shipping was very reasonable for 3 12 packs of 5 brothers. Sorry you had a bad experience.

TreverT":mw86o5vz said:
I can't speak to this transaction one way or another, but I can say that it is VERY easy to be surprised on shipping charges. They're all over the place and trying to do accurate calculations in advance is a waste of time in many cases. Something a state away might cost $5 but the same box going to CA might be $9, plus there is the question of different types of mail people prefer, not to mention the costs of boxes, packing materials, and working time spent boxing and taking the packages to the PO. Really, $5 more than the postage price probably doesn't cover his working time expended in the shipping process - That's why it's calling "Shipping AND Handling". I know we routinely add in a few extra bucks to shipping charges to cover these costs, because boxes and packing aren't free and trips to the PO are lost working time. If this fellow is trying to get rich by being a cheat, he'd do much better on Wall Street than by banking on $5 overcharges snuck into the occasional pipe shipment.
I never called Byron a cheat. All I said was that he overcharged me on shipping, since he only charges actual shipping, and using Priorty Mail makes it fairly easy to know what the charges are ahead of time. I've never known of a problem with Byron in the past so all I was doing was remineding people to check their invoices against what they were charged.

I have done business with Byron on several occasions and he has helped me out on several occasions. He was very accommodating when I messed up on paying for an order. Maybe a better title for the post would have been "Watch your postage charges and on-line charges when ordering online". It sounds like he tried to handle the situation in a pretty fast manner. I am a little surprised that he doesn't have computer/internet/web access at work. I do know of some B&M shops that don't have a clue how to use the USPS site when figuring out postage, etc.

I think perhaps your posting was misinterpreted. It does, however, leave the impression that you suspect the merchant of trying to cheat you and you essentially indicate that he lied about his access to the internet.
I have not dealt with the merchant in question, but have only heard good things about him, his business practices and his prices. I know that I have noticed in all of his offers that I have viewed he states that he does not have access to the internet at his shop and to call the shop for faster service.
As I said in the beginning, I think your original post was, perhaps, misunderstood and is possibly a good example of the foibles encountered by us all, from time to time, when trying to communicate over the 'net.
I know that I personally appreciate feedback on the various vendors encountered on line, but it sounds as though this particular encounter consisted of a flurry of activity, with some misunderstandings involved that would have resolved themselves given a bit more time.
I do a bit of business on-line, particularly in regards to my pipe and tobacco hobby and find that by and large most of the merchants are honest and more than accommodating, but given the nature of the medium, it is possible to encounter small bumps in the road that one doesn't have when dealing face to face.

I don't know either party in question, but I can offer up this bit of wisdom..
If this board has taught me anything it is that communication without physical presence will go bad. Not from ill will by either party but by sheer lack of physical gestures, facial expression, lack of reading skill and/or understanding, etc.

Personally I don't like 'run to the boards and report' mentality, but it happens everywhere.. We get one partys interpretation of the event and the other party has no clue they are being questioned. Hardly fair.
In any case this incident was handled in a quick manner with Byron making the matter right. We are all human, as long as Byron made it right I call no harm no foul..
I've had mix ups happen from 4Noggins, SP.com, Cup O Joes, etc etc etc etc etc Shit happened, it was made right, case closed.(in my book anyway)

I have changed the thread title, and do agree I could have handled the whole thing better. My intent wasn't to bash Byron, but to suggest we all keep a closer watch on what we're charged. But in this economy, and being on a fixed income, being overcharged $5.00 on shipping isn't something I take lightly, even if it's eventually refunded.

Nothing but A+ service and prices from Byron by my experience. It's always a good idea to verify any charges for online purchases, but it sounds like Byron made it right. I love my Stanwell from him and will buy another when I'm ready for another purchase. He always seems to list sales prices on styles that I like.