A cheap blend of my own

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesepfeife

Reaction score
While I was waiting for my first shipment of SG tobaccos and being generally ignorant I stopped a few B&M places, mostly Smoker's Friend type places, and bought some OTC type stuff. My wife wanted me to smoke organic tobaccos so one of these was a packet of the American Spirit red pouch. I tried them all individually and liked the Savinelli Cavendish quite well and the CBW seemed similar but not quite as good. All got good room note reviews from the family but the organic was my least favorite and seemed somewhat harsh and due to the fine cut burned up pretty fast. I subsequently bought a tin of Sillem's Black, which is also similar to the 2 previously mentioned aros and definitely superior.

Now that I have a nice selection of quality weed and not wanting to waste my previous purchases I decided to try my hand at some blending. I started with equal parts of the ASO and CBW. This was a success but still a bit harsh so I added in the Savinelli to make a 1:1:1 mix. The result of this was very successful. I wouldn't expect anybody to go out and buy these 3 specifically to make this blend but thought this might be of some interest, especially to some other noobs who might have purchased something they don't care for so much, and encourage them to experiment a bit.

Yep, my first batches I got were OTC "stuff" and I did a bit of experimenting. Even tossed some of the MacBaren vanilla loose cut (which is absolutely horrid) in with some cherry cavendish and honey and it was decent then. Experimenting is darn fun.

I did the same thing years ago with about 8lbs of various OTC's that were horrid on their own. Mixed in lots of Burley and frequently misted with quality rum. Alas I'm down to just over a pound of that now and there is no way to duplicate it. I didn't think to keep track of what I mixed. It has actually aged quite well too. I mixed that at least 15 years ago.

Best of luck with your experiments
Jim

I am going through a big phase now with blending my own ever since I entered the Fusion Lab contest. It seems that I tried almost every blend commercially available at one point or another, and I have a huge stock pile of all of my favorites. I sometimes feel as if I have come to a dead end. Now I am blending my own and I have come up with some interesting blends. I am beginning a new era in my pipe smoking adventure. :cheers: Keep experimenting!