a couple GBD refurbs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam a

Reaction score
i love picking up old crusty pipes and rescuing them from neglect... and i have a thing for old britwood... specifically silver halmarked GBDs. so i'm pretty happy today as i just finished spiffing up these two. the first is a 9242 dating to 1950 and the second is a 9465 from 1954.

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

and i've got a few more in the works that should keep me busy for a while :D

Beautiful you do good work!!! They look brand new. The silver bands give them a very classy upscale look and the fact they are British seems to add to that understated style IMHO.

Wow, where did you find the 9242? My favorite shape, bar none. Lovely job on the restoration as well. Both should be excellent smokers.

riff raff":goohixpa said:
Wow, where did you find the 9242? My favorite shape, bar none. Lovely job on the restoration as well. Both should be excellent smokers.
i snagged it on ebad about a year ago in filthy filthy filthy condition... and i just now finished restoring it :affraid: . they are super hard to find, but the hunt can be half the fun.

sam a":i15g1xxu said:
i snagged it on ebad about a year ago in filthy filthy filthy condition... and i just now finished restoring it :affraid: . they are super hard to find, but the hunt can be half the fun.
Absolutely, that looks worth the hunt! Any before pix?

i'll have to dig around and see if i snapped any shots.

Two of my favorite shapes made by GBD!! And you did an absolutly FANTASTIC job on their re-furbishment!! If you find either one is just not "you" PM me immediatly :p

riff raff":xwxiz0ax said:
sam a":xwxiz0ax said:
here ya go

IMG_0700.JPG

i wish i could have captured how gunked up the insides were. the stem was completely plugged... i had to straighten it and drill it open. and i couldn't even fit my pinky into the bowl, nothing some sandpaper, drill bits, activated carbon, etc plus patience couldn't handle though.

sam a":mhr5u1sf said:
riff raff":mhr5u1sf said:
sam a":mhr5u1sf said:
here ya go

IMG_0700.JPG

i wish i could have captured how gunked up the insides were. the stem was completely plugged... i had to straighten it and drill it open. and i couldn't even fit my pinky into the bowl, nothing some sandpaper, drill bits, activated carbon, etc plus patience couldn't handle though.
From THAT to what is shown in your first pic is ABSOLUTLY AMAZING !!! Guess I'll have to start looking at those "old, gunked-up" pipes differently now. I know who to send 'em to to come back to life!! Once again, ABSOLUTLY AMAZING :cheers:

Fantastic refurbish. I wish you had made a chronical of it. They both look brand new. I'm certain they smoke wonderfully!

I am in love with that Rhodesian. It absolutely beautiful. Fantastic work my friend. Simply Fantastic.