A couple nice surprises.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
I forget what thread it was but we were discussing pipe lighters and I mentioned the Vector butane insert for Zippo lighters. I knew about them but didn't own one. I seldom use my Zippos because I find the standard Zippo fuel (taste, evaporation, poor char lights) unsatisfactory. So in the name of research I bought one of the butane inserts (the flint wheel model, not the piezo spark model). For a few pennies over $20 I got the insert and a large can of Zippo butane fluid. The insert fits perfectly into my brass Armored Zippo and I'm actually quite happy with the insert at this point. I've had it a couple weeks now and I use it just about every day and have only had to refill it once so far. The flame is adjustable and is just like a Bic flame, which is about all I ever used before this so I'm happy with that. The only negatives I've found so far are not unusual with adjustable butane lighters. When filled the flame can be a bit large which requires it to be turned down a day or so, at which point it needs to be turned back up to normal. When almost empty there was a little sputtering and the flame got really big just before going empty. I've experienced this with much more expensive lighters so I'm not at all bothered by it. Overall I'd say it's a good piece of equipment that performs well and is a bargain for the $13 they sell for on ebay. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over the long haul.

When smokingpipes lowered their minimum to $50 for free shipping I grabbed a few things I wanted, one of them being the Sutliff Edgeworth match. I never did get around to trying it. I'm not bashing Sutliff by saying this, but I just never got along with their tobaccos. I've tried several and they all came up short to my taste. I am happy to report that this Edgeworth match is quite wonderful! I plan on buying a couple pounds. It's really very good and smokes wonderfully in a cob.

Go figure :lol:

image18.jpg

Very nice! I keep thinking about a butane insert, just haven't pulled the trigger yet...

Good luck with yours. The same one I had lasted just over 6 months and developed a hairline crack in the tank and would not hold butane very long. Be careful not to drop on a hard surface in cold weather. That's what I did :affraid:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!