A dire question!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gentleman!
While going through my pipes, I have recently found to my dismay very small fissures or cracks in the the bottom of my bowl. I am stunned...I use keystones which are supposed to help with coolness and moisture. Before using them I even put a little water on my finger and line the bowl before the first lighting.
Are those cracks completely detrimental to the pipe?? Info and tips would be greatly appreciated.

SirBriar

i once bought an apple-shape from ebay. when i received it, i noticed the inside was scarred with these vertical cracks. someone must have smoked the devil out it... But after smoking it for a while the cracks filled in with the cake and now it's a great smoker.

I'm wondering if it's some finish that may have gotten down in the bowl and then cracked from the heat. You know when a car bumps another with no dents or anything but the paint starts to chip away? Kind of like that. Though I could be wrong, all I know is that's happened to one of my pipes and they called that spiderwebbing. If that's the case, not to worry, it's the residual finish, not the actual briar that has cracked but as usual pictures are always helpful if you can.

SirBriarMcpiperson":zl03kmnu said:
Gentleman!
While going through my pipes, I have recently found to my dismay very small fissures or cracks in the the bottom of my bowl. I am stunned...I use keystones which are supposed to help with coolness and moisture. Before using them I even put a little water on my finger and line the bowl before the first lighting.
Are those cracks completely detrimental to the pipe?? Info and tips would be greatly appreciated.

SirBriar
You did not say whether these were new pipes you were breaking in or much older, caked, well smoked ones. I have never used "keystones" in my years of smoking so could not say if these might be the cause of your "... fissures or cracks in the bottom of the bowl". I've had some of these occur at times in my pipes when I have smoked one quite a bit and then put it up for a long time and the cake sort of "cracks" as it dries. I just give 'em a ream and put 'em back in rotation and smoke 'em ! Unless you are getting an extremely hot spot on the outside of your pipe when smoked, I would not worry JMHO :p

It's possible the briar may have had those cracks naturally. Search around for how to make "pipe mud," or let the bowl cake naturally. Provided they don't widen suddenly or go through to the other side, you should be alright.

I know a lot of Brits and Euro-folk that love those "pipe stone" thingamabobs. Others that say they're a pain in the arse. I smoke relatively wet and never said to myself, "Gosh, I wish I had small, absorbent stones to throw in my pipe." I can only imagine the extra steps required to deal with them. But hey, some people are into funky little gimmicks like that.

I'm pretty sure you don't really need to wet the bowl before you smoke--I've never heard of that before. Considering the lengths folks go to keep their pipes dry, and for good reason, if you eliminate that step, you might not even need the stones to soak up any moisture. 8)

It could be the moisture. I like to blow through my pies and dry the moisture out before putting them up.

Kyle Weiss":mpbya7y6 said:
I'm pretty sure you don't really need to wet the bowl before you smoke--I've never heard of that before. Considering the lengths folks go to keep their pipes dry, and for good reason, if you eliminate that step, you might not even need the stones to soak up any moisture.
It does seem a little over-thought out. I've never heard of moistening the bowl either.

I've heard of wetting the rim of the bowl with a little saliva before lighting to avoid charring. Never heard of wetting the inside though.

MisterE":882zfy5b said:
I've heard of wetting the rim of the bowl with a little saliva before lighting to avoid charring. Never heard of wetting the inside though.
I saw a guy at the Tinder Box who lit his pipes with that first flare of the match, each and every time--and the rims of his pipe bowls were evidence he did this a lot. It seemed like a game: how much "flare-up" could he catch the moment he sparked the match? :eek: Probably used to smoking outside in high winds (we get those here), trying to catch the flare-up heat to light. That must have tasted awful. :lol: This is why like lighters I can get the flame into the center of the bowl...

...different tangent entirely, just remembered that guy and his matches. :lol:

8)

I have several pipe that have had cracks on the inside of the bowl. Usually they are small so I don't worry much about them. I do make an effort to smoke them slower than I normally would. If the cracks are large or near a thin area of the pipe wall I would mix up pipe mud and apply it. Usually I use burnt sugar to mix up my mud as it's nearly pure carbon. Be careful if you do this as the sugar as it burns expands tremendously. Also don't use a container you care about for this either it's a bitch to clean off( don't ask how I know). Once the sugar is completely burnt just powder it finely, and mix with water or a drop of honey. Work it into the cracks as best you can. Let dry over night. Then I would light up a half bowl or two and all should be well from that point. Hope this helps.

Jim

The only keystones I am familiar with are those used in construction.. My first impression, is if you are using stones in your pipe, they really hold the heat, much like those around a campfire. Small fissures are usually a result of smoking hot. Just my 2¢.

Smoker99":7wk0zxtu said:
My first impression, is if you are using stones in your pipe, they really hold the heat, much like those around a campfire. Small fissures are usually a result of smoking hot. Just my 2¢.
Good observation...hot pipes sometimes go hand-in-hand with moist pipes, too... :scratch: :study:

8)

Kyle Weiss":eg4ngw81 said:
[I saw a guy at the Tinder Box who lit his pipes with that first flare of the match, each and every time--and the rims of his pipe bowls were evidence he did this a lot. It seemed like a game: how much "flare-up" could he catch the moment he sparked the match?

8)
Maybe he was used to getting his Sulphur Hit? :mrgreen:

I'd be curious to hear if the cracks are in the briar or in the cake in the chamber. I've seen plenty of old estates who have hairline cracks in their cake. If it's in the cake, no worries. You could even ream down to the wood to be sure the cracks haven't penetrated.