A disaster!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborne

Reaction score
I was holding my Becker in its sleeve and learned over putting pressure on it, not paying attention to what I was doing, and broke the son of a gun. It was afraid to look into the sleeve fearing I’d find pieces of wood. Instead it was a clean break. The tenon snapped clean in the stem (or is it the mortise?). Anyway, I have a big question. Does anyone know who repairs Becker stems? I wonder whether a new tenon can somehow be drilled into the bit instead of replacing the entire bit.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I have been successful repairing such a break.
I twisted in a screw and backed out the tenon
and fixed the tenon with superglue. I also
failed once with this technique. I sent that
pipe to the maker (Mark Tinsky - I mailed it
on a Monday and was smokin' it on Saturday.

Ouch, that's hard to look at! :pale:
Not as bad as Theismann's broken leg, but still gruesome. Hope you can get it fixed soon!

Outstanding! I've got a few options now.

Thanks much and have a wonderful Sunday!

Should be an easy fix and you will never tell the difference if done correctly.

If you decide to try it yourself...once you put the screw into the tenon in the mortise, it wouldn't hurt to place the pipe in the freezer to help make the removal easier. after 30 minutes or so it should pull out easily.

Any reputable pipe repairman can easily drill the stem to accept a new screw in tenon and not have to make a new stem.

I'd say just contact Paolo. He's a great guy and would know best about repairing one of his own pipes.

Wet Dottle":vhh5p4gw said:
Puff Daddy":vhh5p4gw said:
There's only one place I'd send it, http://www.precisionpiperepair.com/ . No disrespect to anyone else, but George is the man!! 8)
I second this opinion. Actually, George made a replacement stem for a Becker of mine that now is better than the original. The wait is long, though...
Yes. Me 3.

I had a similar problem (dropped a pipe breaking the tenon off in the pipe). I used the screw technique to get the broken portion out and then just superglued it back together. No problem at all.

post pics when this repair is done? It looks like a beaut.