A Falcon for Christmas

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

History Prof 1861

Reaction score

Hey guys I wanted to show off what I got for Christmas!

A Falcon!

(The Photo in this thread has been resized so that the text will be large enough to be readable. - the Management)

Nice. I've always wanted a Falcon and haven't gotten one yet. Oddly enough, I did get two metal pipes at Christmas and have been thinking about making a thread. Have you smoked the Falcon yet? I've heard they smoke nicely.

Congratulations on your Christmas PAD :cheers: :santa: :cheers: :rendeer: :cheers:
I’ve been looking at Falcons too, occasionally come across them in my estate pipe hunting, but never got the nerve to get one... too nervous to try one out, a little paranoid of metal pipes getting too hot or changing the flavor. Please let me  know how it smokes

I have not fired it up yet but will give a recon report once I do.

I have always been nervous about them as well but the threads here on BoB were helpful and the fact the local tobacconist runs a great Black Friday sale pushed it over the top.

Have no fear, Falcons do not heat up as the metal serves to dissipate the heat like a heat sink. In fact you'll never even
notice the heat unless you put your fingers on the stem. So grip it by the bowl and not the base or stem.

They're very cool smoking and don't lend any metallic flavors. At least not that I can detect. Just make sure you have a
good seal from the bowl to the base. Not rocket science.

;)

Your bent stem model interests me Professor. I only have straight stems. And I'm a "bent" kinda guy!

Cheers,

RR

I really enjoy my falcons. The only bent one I have is an International, and it accepts a 6mm filter. Great performers.

I’m glad it is not rocket science there is a reason I got a history degree!

I’m really trying to get into the metal pipes.

I have my eye on a garbow Viking estate and a Kirsten Estate right now.

The viking and the Kirsten are both good choices. There is no metal taste or hot spots with mine. Have no fear and a happy smoke.

I'm in the school that "really wants one." One question that I've always had is that I see Falcon pipe cleaners at e-tailers. Is that just Falcon marketing their own, or is there something in the design that makes normal pipe cleaners useless?

I do believe, no experience, that they are very thin as the stem/shank is more narrow then most pipes. I just use regular cleaners in my Dr. Grabow Viking. Also, the viking stem is removable while the Falcon was not meant to be removed. But, the Falcon and bowls are still made.

I can use Dill's, Mac Baren's, BJ Long regular (but not fluffy), SuperSavers, a couple of others I don't recall. Some of the older falcons were pretty tight, but the newer one are pretty open.

Since we are talking cleaning are there any pitfalls in cleaning a falcon versus a regular briar pipe?

Thank you

Not that I can think of at the moment, other than you may want to occasionally clean the threads on the humidome (cup). I use a new drywall screw point and gently run it in the grooves of the threads about once a year, maybe less, just to get the build up out.

loneredtree":nafvyklo said:
I do believe, no experience, that they are very thin as the stem/shank is more narrow then most pipes. I just use regular cleaners in my Dr. Grabow Viking. Also, the viking stem is removable while the Falcon was not meant to be removed.  But, the Falcon and bowls are still made.
I have one of these also. I never cared for it. There was always too much moisture buildup in it.

If you would have asked me a few years ago what I thought of Falcon pipes, my opinion would have been varied. But I have really grown to love the few that I have in my collection. They are rugged, well designed smoking machines. I also admire the fact that the bowls trend toward smaller capacity chambers. I rarely have time for a 45-60 minute smoke, so the Falcon bowl is perfect for a 25-30 minute on the go pipe.

As far as maintenance is concerned, I find that standard BJ Long cleaners work perfectly for the stem, Longs tapered of fluffy, don't even bother. Obviously you can also go with the Falcon brand as well but they are pricier. For moisture build up, you can make your own "dry rings" by cutting up pipe cleaners, bending them into rounds and laying one in the dome under the bowl before lighting up.

DrumsAndBeer":d41gcha1 said:
For moisture build up, you can make your own "dry rings" by cutting up pipe cleaners, bending them into rounds and laying one in the dome under the bowl before lighting up.  
Thanks, that's good to know. I've never heard or seen dry rings.

Yep.  Used dry rings for years.  Good accessory.

Tip #1: Use a tapered pipe cleaner to make 5 or 6 and see if the thick end prevents your bowl from seating fully.  If there’s no problem you’re in good shape.  If it does...reduce the dry ring cleaner’s diameter til you find one that doesn’t impede getting your bowl totally down, etc.

Tip #2: If you’ve never used or even seen a dry ring, note the pic here.  They have a little 1/4” “tail” that extends from the ring.  Bend that tail so it sticks up the bore to hold the ring in position.  While not mandatory, they make setting the ring in place easier.  I’ve made ‘em with and without. They both seem to soak up moisture the same.  

Tip #3: Seems obvious...but a dry ring is good for a single bowl. Don’t use for more than that. Yuk.

BTW...HP 1861...that’s a great looking bent Falcon.  You might think about a mere bowl for it.  

Here’s a set I cobbled together (Ebony and Ivory)...these were engraved with the BoB POY thing by Ozzie.  I treasure the set.