A few new Tampers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
I've been spending the last few evenings carving these pipe tampers. They're very rustic but functional and if you lose one easy to replace.

DSCN3980.jpg

I actually think they are very cool. Great way to spend your time as well.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I made them out of trimmed branches from a Maple tree in my front yard, my wife thinks I'm crazy, "are you making another one of those things". Kinda like Richard Dreyfus making those mashed potato mountain sculptures in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, I just cant help myself...

Say MB, what are those made from?????
Just spun up a couple on the lathe from African black wood? What are you using?

Those are nice! I think I might try my hand at carving one next time I'm outside puffing.

Don't you need to have a grey beard, overalls, and a rocking chair to carve while pipe smoking though? :lol:

shadrack":g8yjms3n said:
Those are nice! I think I might try my hand at carving one next time I'm outside puffing.

Don't you need to have a grey beard, overalls, and a rocking chair to carve while pipe smoking though? :lol:

Yes.

Midnight Blues":pxt79n1p said:
shadrack":pxt79n1p said:

Yes.
Damn that's what I thought. I guess I need to wait a few more years........only have 4 greys in my beard so far. :tongue:

i'd bought a couple fancy tampers, but i never use them. i always use a horseshoe nail. but i love those carved ones. hope you don't mind if i copy them (that is if i have the carving skills). thanks for sharing.

bruins":i5nzz2dq said:
i'd bought a couple fancy tampers, but i never use them. i always use a horseshoe nail. but i love those carved ones. hope you don't mind if i copy them (that is if i have the carving skills). thanks for sharing.
Absolutely not, I don't mind at all. Its really fun (at least to me, and yes I don't get out much) to see how thin I can carve the scoop end without breaking it.

Don't forget to show them to us when you have a few done.

Best, Dan

like most things i make myself, they're functional, but not pretty. i'll take some pictures if i make anything pretty. it is fun though!