A.G. Russell Pipe Knife

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A G Russell makes a fine knife and the pipe knives are no exception. It's an extremely well crafted pipe knife for under $65.00!!  
Richard Burley enjoy your new pipe knife, it will outlive both of us, it's that well made.

KEEP ON PUFFING

Richard, that's a really nice score and a much better price than the French ones. Enjoy it, I'm sure it'll out last all of us lol.

Jim

Those are nice but, still out of reach for my tightwad pocket book. ;)

Cartaphilus":sd49pco1 said:
Those are nice but, still out of reach for my tightwad pocket book. ;)
This is probably closer to the limit of your knife budget Ron  :D

Adam

Blackhorse":zaldx50s said:
Nice alright. Russell doesn't put their name on anything shoddy. If it was me, I'd get the stag. Ten bucks difference...way more traditional appeal, etc. IMHO.
Yeah, my second choice. Decided I don't really like stag unless it's the kind with deep ridges, or whatever they're called. Kind of like a deep blast versus a shallow blast on a pipe. Just a personal pref., etc.

It's quite nice, though it won't do anything a much cheaper Rodgers, et al., won't do. Great size, slightly smaller than expected. One thing, besides the price, I noticed on the Laguiole that puts me off is the slightly s-shape of the poker tool, or whatever it's called. How is that supposed to work if you need it for the shank? I have a regular Laguiole knife and am not that impressed with certain design features--though it sure is pretty.

That's well worth the price!! Like you stated it makes no sense of the slight " S " shape of the poker tool on the Laguiole pipe knife. A pipe buddy owns the Laguiole pipe knife and it's made well but personally I did notice I could not properly get the poker thru the shank all the way on my Canadian Long shank pipes. Enjoy yours for many years..... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Hmmm ... "Made In China".

Does that mean they'll be on ebay next month for ten bucks with shipping included?
:eek:

Cold Smoke":4w9g0b4c said:

Does that mean they'll be on ebay next month for ten bucks with shipping included?
Like Marble's? One could hope, I suppose, but I doubt it. Russell has had many, if not most, of their house brand knives made in China for decades.

I bought a stainless Rodgers pipe knife and to be honest, I'm kind of so-so on it.
The blade is excellent but the tamper is a little small footprint wise and I find it unsatisfactory in use.
Back to looking at the Russell ...

Cold Smoke":3wv47dms said:
I bought a stainless Rodgers pipe knife and to be honest, I'm kind of so-so on it.
The blade is excellent but the tamper is a little small footprint wise and I find it unsatisfactory in use.
Back to looking at the Russell ...
They're exactly the same size and shape. The tamper, I mean. I just juxtaposed them. Weird shape, but I think that is to facilitate carrying. What you might want is one like P&C gave away for free with orders several years ago. Decent quality, and the tamper is like a small coin, not quite dime size. About the size of a .45 shell casing. I may have an extra, but I'd need to search for it. PM me if interested.

Richard Burley":0dd7jz3r said:
Cold Smoke":0dd7jz3r said:

Like Marble's? One could hope, I suppose, but I doubt it. Russell has had many, if not most, of their house brand knives made in China for decades.
Nooooo! It will be advertised as antique pieces @ $200 each

Well, even though I love my Sheffield, and I've got a handful of nice tampers, and I'm quite smitten with the tools I got for free from Cup of Joes (4 of em) lately, as soon as I saw those Russells, BANG! I ordered a bone handled one, perfect consumer chimp response. Oh well, as Popeye summed it up, I yam what I yam.