A good lighter at a great price?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
So.  I've never really got the hang of my Zippo copy for lighting a pipe perhaps because it's got a standard wind shield and is not pipe specific.  Matches are ok but needs two hands.  It was for these reasons that I decided to invest in a butane lighter.  I quickly identified the 'Rolls Royce' models and decided I couldn't justify the price tags.  A scout through the 'net led me to purchase this little number:

It feels heavy in the hand and solid, and has soft and jet flames.  Usual features; adjustable flame, re-fillable, fluid level window.  Price?  13.53 USD (8 GBP) and free postage.  Ok, so it's a Chinese cheapy and I've only had it for a day.  But for that price?!  You couldn't post something from China for that little money.  It comes in 3 colours too (in hindsight I would have preferred the chrome or grey finish).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Jobon-Jet-Double-Flame-Cigarette-Cigar-Smoking-Pipe-Butane-Gas-Lighter-/111221067902?pt=UK_Collectables_Tobacciana_Smoking_LE&hash=item19e54ad07e

Good find! Do be sure to only use the soft flame for your pipe. The torch is for cigars.

^What he says!

Also I think you'll end up liking butane better than the Zippo fluid. It doesn't give off any odor that can affect the flavor of your tobacco.

Seems like a decent find. I bought one similar once (it was also made in China). It broke a month or so later. From then, I decided I would not purchase another pipe lighter unless it was a Xikar or IM Corona. I bought a Xikar pipe light for $50 and it has lasted me for two years. It has a lifetime warranty too.

As Joshoowah said, I just hope it doesn't break on you!

I prefer matches the most, but obviously they're not always feasible. I tried a zippo for a bit (regular chimney style) and it works, but it imparts wayyy too much taste into the bowl.

I did recently get a nimrod at a fleamarket for 5$ though. Doesn't muck up the taste of your bowl quite so much, but I'd still like to get a nice butane some day.

Regardless, enjoy your shiny new lighter!

Thanks Gravel. I was aware of the possible effects of the torch light so have thus far avoided it. Impressive though!

And hey, if it breaks after a month or so, so be it. I can't quibble at that price. It's been a useful exercise as I now know it's a butane re-fillable for me from here on in.