A Good Read

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a good read.

To address the "sharp decline" in pipe smoking, at least in respect to current years, two things come up to me: time and know-how. Back in another era, time spent doing something worthwhile has been replaced by the drive-through, instant gratification of the masses, and to be honest, there's few out there to inspire the curious or even show them how to get into, smoke and enjoy the pipe. The handful of adventurous will find out on their own, and seek this experience.

8)

Kyle Weiss":efb43dzg said:
That was a good read.

To address the "sharp decline" in pipe smoking, at least in respect to current years, two things come up to me: time and know-how. Back in another era, time spent doing something worthwhile has been replaced by the drive-through, instant gratification of the masses, and to be honest, there's few out there to inspire the curious or even show them how to get into, smoke and enjoy the pipe. The handful of adventurous will find out on their own, and seek this experience.

8)
Your thoughts are right on target, in my opinion.

Fantastic read, what gets me is the removal of the pipe smoking from the show it mentions at the beginning of the article. As a historical show on a real person, removing his partaking in pipe smoking so constantly is akin to removing part of his character, a piece of his person.

If you wrote a biography and talked about Andre the Giant and didn't discuss his drinking habits that were a result of his view on life, or on Theodore Roosevelt and didn't mention his love of reading that quite probably fueled his adventurous persona, or (closer to home) on Mark Twain and omitted his corn cob and five-cent cigars and his philosophy in regards to them, your biography would be incomplete and their character diminished.

Adding to the "sharp decline" you mentioned, Kyle, I think the specific part about know-how is cutting your teeth as a new pipe smoker. In a recent thread there was a video on MacBaren Virginia No. 1 and how in the past tongue bite was just a normal thing pipe smokers dealt with, it was part of pipe smoking since many bowls were enjoyed everyday all day. Heck, tongue bite on the first bowl turns off most pipe smokers now and I know my tongue was numb for a week or two when I started out. If you can't get past or accept the bite, it's hard to progress. Especially if you don't have a mentor or do the research to know that it's not a forever thing.

You're spot on. Especially on the time, why learn to smoke a pipe and enjoy it when all you're looking for was wanted five minutes ago and you want to be finished with it now. Can't beat the quickness and brevity of a cigarette, though I do have hope the more people I find in my college environment that at least dabble in smoking a pipe, even if it's only about once a month.

joemelon":gm77b8xc said:
Fantastic read, what gets me is the removal of the pipe smoking from the show it mentions at the beginning of the article. As a historical show on a real person, removing his partaking in pipe smoking so constantly is akin to removing part of his character, a piece of his person.

If you wrote a biography and talked about Andre the Giant and didn't discuss his drinking habits that were a result of his view on life, or on Theodore Roosevelt and didn't mention his love of reading that quite probably fueled his adventurous persona, or (closer to home) on Mark Twain and omitted his corn cob and five-cent cigars and his philosophy in regards to them, your biography would be incomplete and their character diminished.

Adding to the "sharp decline" you mentioned, Kyle, I think the specific part about know-how is cutting your teeth as a new pipe smoker. In a recent thread there was a video on MacBaren Virginia No. 1 and how in the past tongue bite was just a normal thing pipe smokers dealt with, it was part of pipe smoking since many bowls were enjoyed everyday all day. Heck, tongue bite on the first bowl turns off most pipe smokers now and I know my tongue was numb for a week or two when I started out. If you can't get past or accept the bite, it's hard to progress. Especially if you don't have a mentor or do the research to know that it's not a forever thing.

You're spot on. Especially on the time, why learn to smoke a pipe and enjoy it when all you're looking for was wanted five minutes ago and you want to be finished with it now. Can't beat the quickness and brevity of a cigarette, though I do have hope the more people I find in my college environment that at least dabble in smoking a pipe, even if it's only about once a month.
Joe,
You mention some VERY GOOD points, especially about "bite" and "time". which adress some of the attitudes in today's world of instant gratification and ones "right to ENJOY" everything without having to go thru the real time experiences. I think the concept of "time" in today's world is the one that interferes with many folks taking up a pipe. It is NOT a speedy pastime and as we who engage in it know, will NEVER be if one is to really enjoy it! Until this concept changes, 'fraid it's gonna be an uphill battle for pipe smoking in the 21st century. :twisted:

Many thanks for the link.

I enjoyed reading the article and the reader comments section was also unusually civilised and thoughtful.