A Good Virginia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick

Reaction score
I'm starting to learn my way around tobaccos a little bit, and find out what I like more and less. My thought is that for the next few tobaccos that I get, I'm going to try some that are made of just one, or the primary ingredient is just one type of tobacco. Do you think that's a good idea? That said, what would you recommend as a good virginia for me to try?

Peter Stokkeybe Luxury Twist....only straight Virgina I have tried, but it seems to be the "got to" kind of Virgina for a lot of people.

It's not a bad idea, but there are a few things to keep in mind, at least things I would tell myself if I wasn't me...or something.

I personally find that alot of the "straight" type blends have a much more subtle and delicate flavor profile. It can take some extra effort and time before I can really feel like I am actually tasting the tobacco, especially if I'm not sure what exactly to look for or expect to begin with. Don't be surprised if you feel like you aren't getting much in the way of flavor at first. It may take a little longer than you might expect and you may have to do some extra experimentation with prep, pack, pipe, etc before you start to really be able to experience the flavor from something like FVF, BBF, or Union Square.

Another thing to remember is that age can dramatically effect a tobacco, Virginias being probably the most commonly noted example. If I were advising myself again, I would probably suggest trying to track down both aged and fresh tins of whichever particular tobacco I was trying out in order to perhaps have some idea of how it changes (and often improves) with some time. I personally have no qualms about paying an extra buck or two, or padding my side of a trade A little bit more in order to get tobacco with some age on it.

Just a thought,,,pick up some tins of blending tobacco,,,perique, orientals and lat,,,,when you've pinned down the straight Virginias you can sprinkle in a touch of perique to it and see if you like it,,,then mix up some Va and oriental,,,and so on,,,,It'll give you a good idea of what you can expect from a blend going by its ingredients. Should give you a base reference of what you like and save some money purchasing blends you find out you don't care for,,,,if you want some Vas to start with PM me. I think I can spare a bowl or three of some popular ones.,,, :D

Straight Va is very good, Burley as well, but straight Latakia or Perique might be a stretch on the senses! :affraid:

Some other popular Va´s that haven´t been mentioned yet..

Rattray´s Hal o´the Wynd (has a little Perique in it they say buy not really noticable)

Orlik Golden Slices (a great middle-of-the-road Va flake)

Reiner´s Golden Flake

Astley´s No. 109 (my current favorite)

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake (Many consider this to be the benchmark straight Va.)

MacBaren Virginia No. 1 (ready rubbed)

These are all very popular versions and readily available (except the Samuel Gawith) and should give you an idea of the genre. With the exception of the MacBaren´s they are all flakes and can be smoked in many different forms (folded, cubed, rubbed out) which will all affect the overall taste.

Tommy":72phoueu said:
Bulk #5100 Red Cake by McClelland is pure Virginia I believe and a darned good smoke.
I agree with 5100 Red Cake. It is the foundation for many McClelland and pipe shop blends. It is a classic red virginia. There are several basic VAs, and my taste leans to reds. I find them sweeter.

I second the Union Square!

Also, if you can find it....SG FVF, MVF, BBF. Wessex also makes some great offerings; Brown Virginia Flake, Gold Virginia Flake, Campaign Dark Flake. Opening Night,f rom C&D, is tasty as well.