A lighting techinque you must try

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmokeamater

Reaction score
From the sometimes profound, often absurd, always entertaining 1953 book, The Pipe, by Georges Herment:

Part 3: Lighting the pipe; What Shall we use?
".....an ember from a wood fire deserves a paragraph all to itself. It is the queen of all lighters, and any smoker who cares to make the experiment will speedily recognize its superiority over any other method of lighting a pipe. The pipe lit with such an ember---especially if it be of some resinous wood---will afford thirty per cent more pleasure and satisfaction than if a match or fluid lighter be used. This admits of no question, experience alone will convince the skeptic; it has to be tried to bring full convincement [sic]. Imagine coming into camp after a long days tramp; dark has fallen and the log fore is blazing clearly and merrily---and then to be nourished---no other word will do---by a great pipe lit by a smoldering stick from the fire! It is at such times that all theories hatched when smoking in one's study go by the board, when the whiff of the pipe mingles with the robust, health-giving smell of a wood fire.

It should be understood, naturally, that the glowing ember placed on the surface of the tobacco must be left among the burning shreds until the pipe is properly alight. We would even go so far as to advise pressing it in with the thumb, for not only will it communicate its perfume to the tobacco, but even when burned out it will assist drawing, merely by its presence in the bowl (see the drawing above). It is impossible to overate its virtues."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ridiculously colorful writing? Perhaps yes.

A cockamamie idea? It sure sounds like one. However, I can tell you have tried this a few times. It is everything he says, and more. Although I don't recommend pressing your thumb into a red hot burning ember!!

Where he indicates "see drawing above" in parenthesis, there is a cut-a-way illustration of a loaded pipe bowl with the ember sitting atop the tobacco dead center allowing air to flow (illustrated by arrows) around the perimeter of the the bowl ie: diverted around the obstructing ember.

This is a wonderful thing to experience.

Regards,
Rich

Everything he says? So it's exactly 30 percent better? How do you two measure that?

George Kaplan":84fdj8ct said:
Everything he says? So it's exactly 30 percent better? How do you two measure that?
LOL.. Thirty percent!!! By my account it's 32%!

It's all part of the absurdity. Of course it's not measurable. All I can tell you is that every time I have tried this it added a totally different dimension to the smoking experience. I think I can also say, with good certainty, that it eliminated the need for re-lights.

George Kaplan":hola6zcs said:
...Philestine!
(Tipsy post)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fDoLB_QxgZ4" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Well, I'm not sure I would want to smoke the ember, no matter what the size or wood type, but at least the size of the ember recommended makes sense (compared to what Brett used in the scene above)

The bottom line of word choice and sentence construction is effective communication. The guy did that, and entertainingly [sic]. He painted a picture -- HIS picture. If you don't like the way he did it, paint your own.

What you wrote today is going to sound just as dated fifty years from now as his does today to you.[Points off for concluding a sentence with an ablative clause] :roll:

And when I think of how many [sic]s someone with you guys' [sic] mentality could paste on Jefferson's Declaration of Independence, my mind reels.

But you'd be saying more about you than about him.

:evil:

:face:

Yak":d0o7e88y said:
The bottom line of word choice and sentence construction is effective communication. The guy did that, and entertainingly [sic]. He painted a picture -- HIS picture. If you don't like the way he did it, paint your own.

What you wrote today is going to sound just as dated fifty years from now as his does today to you.[Points off for concluding a sentence with an ablative clause] :roll:

And when I think of how many [sic]s someone with you guys' [sic] mentality could paste on Jefferson's Declaration of Independence, my mind reels.

Thank you for maintaining a high level of discourse here on the forums!

I'll admit, I am not well educated. A fact I am well aware of.

Glad I could provide you with the fodder you need to express your crankiness.

Rich: don't mind Yak, he gets that way from time to time. None of us are perfect and we all have our flaws - including him.

Anyway...

While I regularly use Hickory, Cherry, or Mesquite chunks in the Weber Smokey Mountain, I'm not sure how a burning ember of Oak or Maple would affect my bowl of Peterson's Irish Whiskey in the evening. :scratch:

TheSmokeamater":qn3kl2rm said:
Yak":qn3kl2rm said:

Thank you for maintaining a high level of discourse here on the forums!

I'll admit, I am not well educated. A fact I am well aware of.

Glad I could provide you with the fodder you need to express your crankiness.
LOL [sic]

Yak":fnhko8e5 said:

Give the poor old guy some slack, At his age what else would you expect :p

Geez, is it manstruation time around here? :lol:

Good, I'm glad it's not just me. I feel the need to knit, suddenly.

8)

Kyle Weiss":p9l1qyxc said:
Geez, is it manstruation time around here? :lol:

Good, I'm glad it's not just me. I feel the need to knit, suddenly.

8)
Whatcha gonna knit? A pipe cozy? :D

At the risk of upsetting the Earth's magnetic field by Kaplan actually addressing the OP's topic rather than the tangent, I've never had the opportunity to light with an ember, but once or twice I've used a car's cigarette lighter in my bowl. It works surprisingly well.

OOOOOOH ! A pipe cozy :twisted: Do you use real wool or acrylic yarns for yours :twisted:

Real wool, and nothing less. :mrgreen:

GK brings up a good point. Last autumn, I did try using an ember to light my pipe with a pair of medial tweezers, from a mellow fire of oak. I dropped the ember in the bowl, it sunk down a good centimeter, I couldn't get it back out again, and the rest of my bowl tasted like oak-aged tobacco. It performed okay, but I'm still not sure if I enjoyed or hated the flavor. :lol: My solution was to drink more scotch. So I think I just didn't care, and the flavors certainly didn't conflict.

8)

Kyle Weiss":x96pnqcd said:
Real wool, and nothing less. :mrgreen:

GK brings up a good point. Last autumn, I did try using an ember to light my pipe with a pair of medial tweezers, from a mellow fire of oak. I dropped the ember in the bowl, it sunk down a good centimeter, I couldn't get it back out again, and the rest of my bowl tasted like oak-aged tobacco. It performed okay, but I'm still not sure if I enjoyed or hated the flavor. :lol: My solution was to drink more scotch. So I think I just didn't care, and the flavors certainly didn't conflict.

8)
Don't they age Scotch in oak barrels? Sounds like they were made for each other !

monbla256":4xppy0fu said:
Don't they age Scotch in oak barrels? Sounds like they were made for each other !
Moon rocks, actually. It's aged with moon rocks. :cyclops:

Mix a little sawdust from the next woodworking project with your McKetchup VAs, I'm sure you'll catch what I experienced. Or end up finding out what a forest fire tastes like. :lol:

Kyle Weiss":k1o6scql said:
monbla256":k1o6scql said:
Moon rocks, actually. It's aged with moon rocks. :cyclops:

Mix a little sawdust from the next woodworking project with your McKetchup VAs, I'm sure you'll catch what I experienced. Or end up finding out what a forest fire tastes like. :lol:
I just light up something with Burley in it for that forrest fire experience :p