A little ashamed...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burritosdaily

Reaction score
So, I have always struggled with fiction.... I am an addicted reader but exclusively non-fiction. I have tried many fiction reads with no success. I have finished some and threw others back on the shelf in frustration.

I have typically grabbed books that align with my movie preference which is action/suspense. I always tell my wife, "more than one person must die from something other than natural causes for me to watch the movie."

Well.... I feel a bit ashamed to say that I have really enjoyed a recent fiction recommendation that was offered to me. The book is The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. It is nothing like what I would expect to enjoy but his writing style engulfs me. There is an element of prose to it that I have come across in contemporary writing. Maybe some you are familiar with it and can help me with some further recommendations.

And yes, I most enjoy reading (whether fiction or non-fiction) with my peterson stuffed with navy flake.

Thanks.

Friend, I am not familiar with "The Moviegoer." I tend to agree with your criteria for movies. No need for shame unless you start watching the Lifetime Channel. ;)

burritosdaily":zwu0i34p said:
So, I have always struggled with fiction.... I am an addicted reader but exclusively non-fiction. I have tried many fiction reads with no success. I have finished some and threw others back on the shelf in frustration.

I have typically grabbed books that align with my movie preference which is action/suspense. I always tell my wife, "more than one person must die from something other than natural causes for me to watch the movie."

Well.... I feel a bit ashamed to say that I have really enjoyed a recent fiction recommendation that was offered to me. The book is The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. It is nothing like what I would expect to enjoy but his writing style engulfs me. There is an element of prose to it that I have come across in contemporary writing. Maybe some you are familiar with it and can help me with some further recommendations.

And yes, I most enjoy reading (whether fiction or non-fiction) with my peterson stuffed with navy flake.

Thanks.
while I am not familiar with "The Moviegoer" I will make a recommendation based on your addiction to "non-fiction" combined with your Action Suspense penchant.

W. E. B. Griffin is the author and he has a number of series, all with historical basis:
1. "The Brotherhood of War"- this series starts The Lieutenants at the beginning of WWII and follows the U.S. Army from Kasserine Pass through the ETO and currently ends with Special Forces warfare.

2. "The Corps" - starts with Semper Fi and covers the Marines (shock and surprise) and the PTO, with MacArthur and the OSS thrown in, and continues through Korea.

3, "Badge of Honor" a series based on the Philadelphia Police Department.

He also has some shorter series based On the OSS and a "direct action" squad, but i think you might find you like the first three series in particular, and if you do they all have enough servings to keep you reading for a while. There are of course series with more emphasis on the "action" quotient, but I find that by an large they tend to more formulaic writing. These have been around long enough that they are readily available in used bookstores, if you like that sort of thing (as I do), or through the library (which I don't like, I never seem to get them back on time, so I am always pay late fees :oops: )

Al (in Canada)

The Moviegoer was recommended to my by a college lit professor.
It is to date one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors.
Binx Bolling is one of the few literary character with which I can totally relate to.

""What is the nature of the search? you ask. Really it is very simple; at least for a fellow like me. So simple that it is easily overlooked. The search is what anyone would undertake if he were not sunk in the everydayness of his own life."

paddy-boy":tcpz99w6 said:
Binx Bolling is one of the few literary character with which I can totally relate to.

""What is the nature of the search? you ask. Really it is very simple; at least for a fellow like me. So simple that it is easily overlooked. The search is what anyone would undertake if he were not sunk in the everydayness of his own life."
Glad to hear someone else is familiar with it.... it wasn't looking too good by the replies so far.

Do you have any recommendations of writing that fits the genre/style?

If you like Percy you must read.... Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book, Love in the Ruins, The Thanatos Syndrome, The Last Gentleman, The Second Coming . Here is the deal you can read self help alone, but YOU must read Love in the Ruins first, then Thanatos to be familiar with the main character. The same is true with Genteman first , and then second coming :D You have some great reading ahead of you, let me know what you think of those 8)

burritosdaily":9em5he5y said:
paddy-boy":9em5he5y said:

Glad to hear someone else is familiar with it.... it wasn't looking too good by the replies so far.

Do you have any recommendations of writing that fits the genre/style?
I guess being born in the South, I have never encountered another Author that epitomized Southern malaise quite like Percy.
I would suggest you read his nonfiction works.