A little help with shape ID needed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastie3202

Reaction score
My new found shape love are these pipes.  I have been calling them bent Dublins.  Is my ID correct, or are they another shape that this newb just doesn't know about?

IMG_20140212_175009_zpsad76d94c.jpg
" />

the two in the middle might be more of a pot shape, but maybe it is an eye of the beholder thing?

As far as I'm concerned there Dublin's!  ;) 

Really, they all carry characteristics of different shapes. In the first, I see tulip as well as Dublin. Second and third, I see pot with a hint of Dublin or vice versa. The fourth is more Dublin than anything.

There is a definite flare from the bottom to the top of the bowls in all 4 examples. All 4 have a very thick bowl wall at the top. The pic does not show the flare in the center two very well.

Coastie3202":h2fvsydw said:
There is a definite flare from the bottom to the top of the bowls in all 4 examples.  All 4 have a very thick bowl wall at the top.  The pic does not show the flare in the center two very well.
They all have similarities to me, and I can relate because I particularly favor rhodesian-esque and dublin-esque shapes more than anything nowadays whenever I look at pipes. Every other shape just doesn't appeal to me as much, though lovats have known to tickle my fancy a time or two.

I'd call them Dublins (the bottom one definitely). I have a Savinelli the shape of the third one down, and I've always called it a Dublin.

I have often heard of this shape referred to as an author. Just my two cents worth. The main thing being, if that's what floatin' yer boat lately, smooth sailing to you!!
KRG

This is what an Author shaped pipe looks like. The Sav shape is often refred to as an Italian Dublin/Pot and it has an ovoid shaped shank in section, NOT diamond shaped as a Bulldog or Dunhill Rhodesian does  :twisted:  :twisted: 

Brewdude":wctxn1ws said:
SpeedyPete":wctxn1ws said:
Coastie3202":wctxn1ws said:
Puff Daddy":wctxn1ws said:
Savinelli shape 316KS, a hybrid squat pot/dublin kinda thang:

image56.jpg
Yep, that is the shape I love.
....with a bulldog shank  :twisted: 
I've two 316's, and they're both great smokers. Not expensive either.

Cheers,

RR
Well guess what I got in the mail today...a Sav 316 sandblast. What a sweet pipe.

I have three, a Champagne, a deluxe MILANO.and a Guibleo 'd Oro. I LOOOOVE 'em !! They all LOOOVE flakes  :twisted: :twisted: Enjoy yours  :cheers: