A little VA light....time to get some..

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_68

Reaction score
Ok - looking over the jars and tins I have on hand, I noted there was plenty of latakia/balkan and even a cigar leaf blend on the way(part of my b'day gift to myself!). I don't have a good VA or VA/Per sitting on the shelf however so I went to the TAD and will be looking to order. Here are my picks - anything else I should consider sooner rather than later?

McClelland's PR Blackwoods
Dunhill - My Mixture 850 and maybe the Delux Navy Roll?

Any lobbying for anything else? Let 'em fly folks!

I love Blackwoods Flake, good choice. You may also want to pick up Christmas Cheer, the 2011 is very good.

As was my first, the straight VA GL Pease "Union Square," is doin' it for me quite right. Perhaps Rattray's "Brown Clunee," another recent favorite, might suit you. 8)

Dave_In_Philly":lf57ug43 said:
I love Blackwoods Flake, good choice. You may also want to pick up Christmas Cheer, the 2011 is very good.
Gah...thanks for the reminder. I bought some Christmas Cheer several months ago and I'm yet to crack it open. I think I'll get to that this weekend.

As far as Union Square...that's a totally different animal compared to Blackwood flake. You may care for both, but while I enjoy the stoved VA of BWF, I'm less of a fan of the grassy Union Square.

Storm_Crow":8jniait0 said:
As far as Union Square...that's a totally different animal compared to Blackwood flake. You may care for both, but while I enjoy the stoved VA of BWF, I'm less of a fan of the grassy Union Square.
Good call, it is indeed grassy! I'd have to say not in a disparaging way, though--I find it warm and toasty. It's extremely honest and mild, and this is why I found it remarkable as my first VA.

You might try Cornell & Diehl Opening Night. It's a straight VA.

And some like Mac Baren's Virginia No. 1. I'm a fan of it myself.

Aged Christmas Cheer would be my first choice. It's magic after 3-5 yrs and mui sublime at 10!

Also check out tiltjlp Quadruple VA. One of my faves and it's priced right. Virginia Squire too (has a bit of white burley). Both are in my regular rotation. And his Cool Hand Fluke is no slouch either. Lots of Perique in this one.

My go-to VaPer alternates between Escudo and C&D Bayou Mornings. And also consider C&D Exhausted Rooster (this has a bit of dark fired Kentucky as well).

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head.

Cheers,

RR

Blackwoods Flake is a classic.
Escudo is usually less expensive than the Navy Rolls. I can't tell the difference between them.
Christmas Cheer is always a treat, McClelland doing what they do best-straight VA,
broken flake.
MB #1 is quality tobacco. But I'd not smoke their tobaccos without two years of age, especially straight VA. They tend to be the most bitey of all the major tobacco houses.
Although I've not smoked it, Orlik Golden Sliced is touted by many a smoker.

I'll echo the recommendations for Christmas Cheer, and Black Woods Flake is nice.

The one McClelland Virginia that hasn't been mentioned yet that I think deserves a recommendation is their Ashton Revival: Brindle Flake. Tangy and sweet, and fairly dry in the tin for a McC Virginia, at least in my experience.

As for VaPer, I'll put in a recommendation for Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake.

Awesome replies! So Blackwoods is for sure..I think Brindle Flake sounds good but Christmas Cheer!? Hadn't thought about that one, cool!

mike_68":xwqqcyj6 said:
Christmas Cheer!? Hadn't thought about that one, cool!
I just cracked my tin of 2011 last night and its possibly the best straight VA I've ever had.

VA is what McClelland does best, and their are the best of any on the market.

Eat yer heart out FVF!

(Think I may have just started a fight) :p

Storm_Crow":j7gkvz4c said:
mike_68":j7gkvz4c said:
Christmas Cheer!? Hadn't thought about that one, cool!
I just cracked my tin of 2011 last night and its possibly the best straight VA I've ever had.

VA is what McClelland does best, and their are the best of any on the market.

Eat yer heart out FVF!

(Think I may have just started a fight) :p
BLASPHEMER!!
:lol!:

Bill

Truthfully, I hope I don't like SG's FVF. Everyone can fan the vapors (as opposed to VaPers...) and swoon over it, covet it, wish they had it, and I can have something else entirely that I can actually afford and acquire. 8) We'll see. Just the stigma and opinions behind it is making me want to hate it. :lol: I shouldn't taint my tongue with preconceived notions, though. 8)

Kyle Weiss":40n1xcui said:
Truthfully, I hope I don't like SG's FVF. Everyone can fan the vapors (as opposed to VaPers...) and swoon over it, covet it, wish they had it, and I can have something else entirely that I can actually afford and acquire. 8) We'll see. Just the stigma and opinions behind it is making me want to hate it. :lol: I shouldn't taint my tongue with preconceived notions, though. 8)

Back before the "shortage", I switched to FVF as a replacement for Old Gowrie from Rattray's. OG is for me the best Virginia I have tried, but FVF was about 1/2 the price...LOL...guess those days are over!

Some notable Virginias I enjoy include Royal Vintage Golden Cake from Butera, Fribourg & Treyer's Cut Virginia Plug, Orlik's Golden Slices, Astley's #55, Pease Union Square, McClelland's 2020.

Since you're thinking Dunhill already you might try the Dunhill Flake. A nice lemony Virginia. I'm a fan of it. Also Rattrays Hal o' the Wynd and GLP Union Square are good (and readily available) ones to cut your Virginia chops on. HOTW I belive does have some Perique in it but you'll never notice it.

HOTW is on my TAD..hmm, probably gonna pick 3 soooo....dangit! :lol:

VA:

Briar Fox - crumble cake fun/dry/spicy - 2D
Opening Night - sweet/spicy/bright - 2/3D
Union Sq - sweet/med/grassy/figgy - 3D
PS Twist Flake - cheap/raisin/grassy/figgy/caramel - 2D
FVF - heavier/creamier/grassy/sweet - 2/3D
BWF - dark/sweet/full - 1/2D

VaPer:

Beacon Extra - stewy/plummy/sour/prickly - 2/3D
Filmore - funky/earthy/dark - 2/3D
Triple Play - really a VaPerBur, but if you like Perique..... - 2D
Bayou AM Flake - earthy/heavy/full - 2D
Escudo - yum/raisin/figgy/sweet/yum - 2/3D

BWF is the only stoved on the list. Bold = favs right now. 1/2/3D = dimensions of smoke (ie, one dimensional, etc). IMHO, but of course....

Spud - good call on the Bullseye, got some of that serving a little time in some glass to get ready for prime time..

DB9 - that Briar Fox sounds VERY interesting...