A metamorphosis

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertschantz

Reaction score
so as of Thursday night (2/7/12) I quit smoking cigarettes. I know it hasn't been long, and I'm not calling the battle over yet. BUT:

The change in my sense of smell is almost shocking. I mean, I knew my sense of smell would improve without the cigs, but the amount of change in a few days is startling.

I had a bowl of OJK last evening, and it was like a completely different tobacco. This was in a pipe I'd had it in before. I'm not sure how much different the Storm Front was Saturday, as that was smoked in the Nording and I have't ever tried that blend in a bowl that large.

I'm just finding this very interesting. It appears that I might have to completely reevaluate the blends I have had before, in order to find out what they are like in the post cigarette world.

Interested in finding out if any of you have experienced the same sort of thing.

Pete

Pete,

Congrats on quitting the cancer sticks.

My wife quit a long time ago and her sinus issues went away and her sense of smell returned nicely.

The longest journey begins with the first step. Stick to it, the only thing I've wanted to do that I've failed at is getting off these da*** cigs!

Keep it up, Peter...it ain't easy, but the rewards will be enormous.

8)

petertschantz":clbkl5iu said:
...Interested in finding out if any of you have experienced the same sort of thing.

Pete
Pete:

Not only have I experienced it, but I've also discovered that it applies to far more than just cigarette smoke pollution of the olfactory nerves.

I've seen this phenomenon happen repeatedly across nearly 49 years of pipe smoking. A blend I initially hated becomes a favorite, and one that was once a favorite becomes intolerable. Part of that is changing tastes, which is close to a universal constant in pipe smoking.

But that's not the only factor. My olfactory perceptions are affected by all kinds of things: the temperature and humidity of the ambient air, my diet, pollen count, whether we have Santa Ana winds (which come from inland) or onshore flow (from the ocean), whether I drink coffee or tea (and what kind; oolong's effect differs from Keemun, which differs from Dragonwell, etc.), any meds I'm taking...even the vitamins and other food supplements I take.

In my experience, cigarette smoke deadens all of those sensibilities. Maybe it has something to do with the chemicals in the tobacco, or in the paper...I dunno. But I think it also has to do with the amount of nicotine absorbed into the bloodstream from direct inhalation of cigarette smoke.

Anyhow, yeah...you're definitely in for a whole new voyage of discovery now that you've freed your olfactory nerves from cig-bondage. Good on ya!.

:joker:

Congratulations Pete!

I've been there as well. It is an immense relief to get rid of the cigarette habit.

thanks Slide, I'm pretty darn happy about it so far and I think it's gonna stick this time!

petertschantz":lgcnj4si said:
thanks Slide, I'm pretty darn happy about it so far and I think it's gonna stick this time!
If it doesn't don't let guilt keep you from getting back on track!

Congrats! Keep off 'em! As Tony Horton (from P90x) would say...."Do your best...and forget the rest." :D

Congratulations on quitting brother! It will take some getting used to for sure. I had allergies so bad that I didn't know flowers had a smell until I was almost 30. When I finally got them under control it was a completely different ball game.

Jim

Congrats on quitting. That's a great accomplishment. :cheers: I quit smoking cigs last year in September after almost 20 years. And I tried all kinds of different ways and even took pills and it didn't stick. The first month was the hardest. After that I haven't even given them a second thought. My sense of smell and taste are 10 times better than what they were. And I picked up smoking a pipe since I truly do enjoy smoking. If nothing else keeps you from going back to cigs, think of all the money you are saving, which can be put into othet things like pipes. Congrats again and I hope you've kicked the habbit for the long term.

Thanks guys! I'm actually surprised at how well it is going. Must be my time to quit!

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to reallocate the $ without much problem 8)