A Neat Little Trick for Pre-packing a Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeroWolfe

Reaction score
Have you ever pre-packed a pipe with tobacco and put it your pocket to enjoy later, and when you took it out, half of the tobacco fell out and is loose in your pocket? Bummer! A little trick I use is to pre-pack the pipe with tobacco, and put on one of those little spring-loaded wind caps. When you are ready to smoke, take it out, remove the windcap, and you are ready to go !

As it turns out, I don't carry pipes in my pocket. It gives folks the wrong idea (wondering if I'm simply happy to see them), threatens stem integrity and makes for terrible company with key and pocket knives.

Also, as it turns out, I have a perfectly wonderful and portable leather pipe case that just so happens to have a compartment for a generous portion of tobacco, and even space for the proper and necessary effects of pipe smoking.

So, I have never had this happen.

What is this spring-loaded wind cap you've managed to use? Pictures and/or links to such a device might prove useful to the curious.

8)

I've done the windcap trick a few times when I was traveling light. Sometimes you just need one pipe, and you don't have the pocket space for even a one-pipe case. (And my one-pipe case is useless for too big or too bent a pipe, if that's what I want.)

I've never been one to go out without my old Leather roll-up pouch with at least 2/3 bowlfulls of bac. Since I wear a tweed jacket in the fall and winter I have a convenient exterior breast pocket to put a pipe in (stem down, bowl out) and my roll-up is either in one of the bottom pockets or the indside breast pocket. I carry about 6 cleaners in the pouch and always have a pipe nail in my pants pocket. Have never broken a stem this way and always have a pipe handy ( size wise, it's usually a grp3or 4 ) to have a smoke when time allows. KISS it :p

I like to pre-fill; makes things easier.
I stretch plastic wrap over the bowl
and secure it with a little scotch tape.

I think it all depends on what the hell I'm doing at the time, too. If it's work, out in the hills, I always have a backpack of some kind, so the Castleford cheapie pouch/ziploc of baccy and the cob are right at home. If I'm going from one place to the other, a breast pocket of a coat works (provided it's cold), otherwise, I like the organization of the "kit case."

I might, on the other hand, pick up that windscreen for its intended purpose: the wind at 8,000 feet in the hills of Northern Nevada is not a trifling matter. :lol:

Okay, so I'm a complicated hick. Fair enough. :p

8)

And another OLD OLD fisherman's trick in the rain: turn the pipe upside down to smoke it; it works !!! Puff a bit slower than usual to prevent overheating.

NeroWolfe":l48wxs4v said:
And another OLD OLD fisherman's trick in the rain: turn the pipe upside down to smoke it; it works !!! Puff a bit slower than usual to prevent overheating.
Smoking upside down was also the trick used by pipe smoking Londoners during the blitz.

I have been wondering about a windscreen as I am not very good at holding a pipe at an angle in my teeth. Do they come in different sizes or are they a one size fits most kind of device?

kieveryuu":5mo5bj5o said:
NeroWolfe":5mo5bj5o said:
Smoking upside down was also the trick used by pipe smoking Londoners during the blitz.

I have been wondering about a windscreen as I am not very good at holding a pipe at an angle in my teeth. Do they come in different sizes or are they a one size fits most kind of device?
I have onlly seen the one-size fits all. Would appear to fit most pipes except Ultra-minis and Magnums......

I also have one of those wind caps but haven't used it yet, Im guessing it will come in handy when Im out strip bass fishing 3 miles off shore. ;)

Darn, I was at Pipes&Cigars last night and forgot to pick up a windcap (grabbed some Obsidian stem oil and "Larrys Blend").
Boswells has them to for $2.50. I definitely could use one in my car for travel, when I'm forced to smoke outside and it is breezy. One for the yard as well. Smacking myself in the head now, so I remember to pick up two....

Hermit":hagoqxjd said:
I stretch plastic wrap over the bowl
and secure it with a little scotch tape.
I've done that, but with a rubber band around the bowl.