A new aquisition.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pipe, but are you sure it is a meerschaum???? Looks like a briar to me to be honest.

Hard to tell from picture, but if it has a grain its briar and your photo caption will read;

a Briar pipe with an amber stem and gold band in its own case.

Meerschaum/Briar still a nice find. :idea:

Harlock999":luc8vaux said:
Harlock999":luc8vaux said:
Kyle Weiss":luc8vaux said:
That's one dark and evenly-colored meerschaum...
I think it's an amber beerschaum... :drunken:
Colored meerschaum?
Never heard of it, till now. Learned something new...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handsome-1950s-Fischer-colored-meerschaum-estate-bulldog-pipe-w-case-/200667323871?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb8b45ddf

Whoah, neat! But...I kind of like the idea of the meerschaum coloring itself over time with smoking/handling.

Kyle Weiss":3s00an2m said:
Whoah, neat! But...I kind of like the idea of the meerschaum coloring itself over time with smoking/handling.
Me too!
I also like to personally "distress" my own jeans and guitars by wearing them and playing them, but it seems that the powers that be have decided to do all that fun work for the consumer, ahead of time. I don't get it, but pre-distressed clothing and "relic" (artificially aged) guitars seem to be here to stay. Oh well.

And my apologies for steering this topic off course.

Harlock999":dben1of8 said:
Kyle Weiss":dben1of8 said:
Me too!
I also like to personally "distress" my own jeans and guitars by wearing them and playing them, but it seems that the powers that be have decided to do all that fun work for the consumer, ahead of time. I don't get it, but pre-distressed clothing and "relic" (artificially aged) guitars seem to be here to stay. Oh well.

And my apologies for steering this topic off course.
*shudder* Don't get me started on "relic'ed guitars." I'm a synth player, and I often joke around with other keyboardists about rusticating our synths, broken keys flying everywhere, knobs breaking off and rolling away, and we have a good laugh. Until I started noticing people actually ruining perfectly good (albethem cheap) guitars with this "method" and selling them on Craigslist.

So I put a joke ad up:

"Offering REAL RELICING service! For $100, I will put scratches, dings, knicks and damage on your favorite guitar, and sign my name on the back in magic marker. Looks just like a real rock star signature!" ...among other things. I included my real email and phone number.

Don't laugh.

I got a call.

It was some high school kid wanting to make him look, of course, like he knew what he was doing. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with him explaining this was a joke, and whatever guitar he had probably would be better off the way it left the factory. Come to find out it was some early 80's Gibson Les Paul, probably worth $800. He lived in the "comfortable class" suburban cookie-cutter area of town, and I probably saved him getting his ass whooped for paying me $100 to throw his guitar around the street while I drank beer. I wouldn't have done it, and I don't think his parents would have disciplined him either... kids these days.

Guitars these days.

I'm going to go smoke my pipe like the "young coot" I am and grumble about this state of affairs. :lol: :lol:

Kyle Weiss":qb1u0z04 said:
*shudder* Don't get me started on "relic'ed guitars." I'm a synth player, and I often joke around with other keyboardists about rusticating our synths, broken keys flying everywhere, knobs breaking off and rolling away, and we have a good laugh. Until I started noticing people actually ruining perfectly good (albethem cheap) guitars with this "method" and selling them on Craigslist.
Yup.
People all over the place trying to attain instant personality by effing up perfectly good instruments.
Personally, I think parents who give their children really "unique" names are essentially trying to do the same thing, but that's a different story.

There's plenty of kids I've wanted to "relic" to look like they've been somewhere, believe me. 8)

...wow, yeah this topic is going haywire... leave it to me to be part of the cause.

Sorry everyone! :lol:

It's called "hijacking a thread." Had you done it on an airplane, you would have received a full cavity search by now..... :lol:

Dutch":u83yrej3 said:
It's called "hijacking a thread." Had you done it on an airplane, you would have received a full cavity search by now..... :lol:
Hi, Kyle Weiss, 10th degree thread hijacker, nice to meet you face-to-face. 8) Yeah, I'm that good. Wait and see. :lol:

I actually have gotten MUCH better in recent years. Moderating a few boards helped. Lead by example, I guess. *sigh*

See what I did there? See that?

Okay, back to topic. :cheers:

No, it is certainly meerschaum.

Two new pipes. by velocipede228822, on Flickr

Now, these two are briar. I bought the long stem at an antique stall in Abergavenny, iti French, Collette, briar. The other I bought at a shop there, and is Mr Broc, filtered briar. Very nice smokes both of them.