a new b n m

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1037

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
good evening brothers.

my nearest b&m recently had a going out of business sale: i assumed the worst. little did i know that a couple of good guys were taking over the spot and doing it up right. they are cigar guys but are open to a pipe and tobacco selection. i said i would do a little "market research" and would suggest a little line for them to get into. i pose the question to my brothers: what would you want in you local store.

I'd have them pick one or two brands that appeal to a lot of pipe smokers. Example: MacBaren, Peterson, & Dunhill for popular tinned blends. Lane and Peter Stokkebye for bulk.

There are more than enough blends in those to keep me interested and content.

A broad sampling of McClelland's tinned Va's and Orientals as well as at least 8 of Dunhill's blends ( tinned) and some of the ubiquitous Lane bulk aro's with "ye olde smoke shoppe" type names :twisted: ought to get 'em started just fine.

monbla256":xn99ye3b said:
A broad sampling of McClelland's tinned Va's and Orientals as well as at least 8 of Dunhill's blends ( tinned) and some of the ubiquitous Lane bulk aro's with "ye olde smoke shoppe" type names :twisted: ought to get 'em started just fine.
this plus GL Pease. get the tobacco sales reps to do their job and earn the business and hold a pipe night with samplings from the high end tobaccos. tell them to negotiate with the distributors as the pipe market is one that leans towards B&ms that support the discerning pipe smoker.

good luck!!

Aristokles":6wf01l50 said:
Call C&D and ask Chris Tarler for advice.
This.

Not being a huge fan of Lane tobacco, I'd see if I could have them get a good distributor that can get them Boswell for bulk aros, and C&D and/or Stokkebye for bulk everything-else... tins? A smattering of Dunhill, SG, McClelland, Mac B and...of course... GLP.

8)

Kyle Weiss":pbtg8ksh said:
Aristokles":pbtg8ksh said:
This.

Not being a huge fan of Lane tobacco, I'd see if I could have them get a good distributor that can get them Boswell for bulk aros, and C&D and/or Stokkebye for bulk everything-else... tins? A smattering of Dunhill, SG, McClelland, Mac B and...of course... GLP.

8)
I thought Boswell's stuff was only available at their shop in PA. :suspect:
Who else sells their stuff?

C&D, Stokkebey and Pease would get a really wide selction right off the bat.

McBarren does some bulk and has a good selection.

As stated before, any of the big name pipe/tobacco companies, Peterson, Dunhill .... will garner attention.

The only thing I would add to some of the above is to keep some MM Cobs in stock. This would allow for someone wanting to give pipes a try to do so without feeling that they need to spend $50 plus on a pipe.

thanks for the advice. just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing anything. i will get you guys more info if you want it. as a disclaimer i do want it known that i have no association with the business other than wanting a well rounded tobacconists within a five minute drive of my home. i have encouraged the fellows to take advantage of the town crier section at their preference.

DoverPipes":h8rq0e4o said:
Kyle Weiss":h8rq0e4o said:
Aristokles":h8rq0e4o said:
This.

8)
I thought Boswell's stuff was only available at their shop in PA. :suspect:
Who else sells their stuff?
Boswells only, misinformation above. The days of old are long gone when their pipes and blends were distributed.