A NEW blend in the Patton line at 4-N's!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
OK - a new one. A wonderfull one in it's conception and excellent in it's execution. Yadda, yadd, yadda.

After being clued in by John that there was a new blend over there I zipped over this morning to check it out and yup, there it was..."Dark Horse". It appears to be OOS this morning (musta been a rush on it), but I'm sure it will be available in the near future.

John also told me it had been so named as a thank you for some guy that had been shouting the praises of the Patton blends to the rooftops...well deserved praises to be sure (for the blends).

Dark Horse is yet another Patton blend showing pronounced flavors. It arrives at the ideal smoking moisture level, is very coarse in cut yet packs and lights well, is easily managed down the bowl and smokes cool and dry. It's "Soulmate's Kiss" in which the evil Latakia has been replaced in equal proportion with Cigar Leaf...and it works wonderfully well. I did a review for the 4-N's page in which I likened the smoking experience to a scene in which Bogie is slapping Peter Lorre around while snarling, "You'll take it, and you'll LIKE it!"...and I think it you try it, you will.

https://www.4noggins.com/johnpattontiltjlp.aspx

My humble thanks to Rich for this singular honor...I guess I'll have to call it my signature blend!

Again, thanks for your enthusiasm for my blends, and your dislike of Latakia that seems to be resulting in some new blends too. BTW, Soulmate's Kiss is now on my page too, bringing the total available in any quantity to ten.

Sounds like our own Darkhorse has bought the entire first blending. I see you are trying to pretend innocence. "Well darn it is OOS, sorry guys. Honey can you watch for the delivery man? I am going for a forklift. "

Checked it out on the site. I've never heard of "Oriental Virginias"? What variety are these ? Sadly it sounds to have too much Burley and Perique for my tatses. :cry:

monbla256":muap2d7g said:
Checked it out on the site. I've never heard of "Oriental Virginias"? What variety are these ? Sadly it sounds to have too much Burley and Perique for my tatses. :cry:
You must have missed a comma, since it is actually Oriental & Virginia. I do have Quadruple Virginia, which is nothing but 4 different Virginias.

To my taste the Burley is a basenote with the base being mostly VA in character and the Perique is very in the background. The thing about John's blends that really appeals to me, well one thing anyway, is the balance of condimental tobaccos. Don't talk yourself out of something you've never tried.

You might try Crossroads. Of all his blends I think it has become my favorite.

Old thread, new-to-me blend. This stuff is great! A huge mouthful of straight tobacco flavors, but soft on the tongue. Vies with Storm Front, or LBF, or Escudo as a go-to. Just had three bowls in a row, something I rarely do. Is it the tobacco or the pipe, a very wide Savinelli pot? Thinkin' the former. I'm going to put this down as one of my must-haves.

Turkish, Oriental, Virginia, 2 Burleys, Cigar Leaf and Perique produce a medium strength blend with a smooth, full range of flavors.  ~This has to be one of the most accurate tobacco blurbs I've ever read.

I'm not familiar with this blend but it sure sounds like one that I'd enjoy. Ok another one for the must buy/must try list.

And a very belated Congratulations to Blackhorse on the naming honor.

:cheers:

Dark Horse is wonderful. I really started liking it after I let it age about 6 months.

Thanks for the tip. Sometimes a little aging can make all the difference.