A nice pair

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
Charley Scanlan's Mark Twain meerschaum prompted me to seek out one for myself; I found a nice one, and in the process stumbled across this Sherlock Holmes meerschaum so, well, I just had to get both!

So now I need a few tips on coloring. I've only had one meerschaum previous, a bird dog with pheasant in mouth that a chum brought me back from Turkey. It never colored particularly well. Now I admit I didn't smoke it every day, but I did put quite a few bowls through it and it never did much. So, any suggestions (other than "smoke the heck out of them!")?

snAkgfkl.jpg

qW8n0Tll.jpg

I had my eye on a nice looking Sherlock Holmes from Paykok:
View attachment 9242
I'm quite happy with a meer I bought from them, a burnt Arasta with a pink stem, so this one might be a good smoker.
That is an exceptional Sherlock pipe! Most of the ones I've seen lately are not very realistic.

So, any suggestions (other than "smoke the heck out of them!")?

Mostly just smoke the heck out of them. I read some advice somewhere once to smoke a new meerschaum upwards of 3-4 times a day for two weeks straight, then let it sit untouched for a couple weeks to "bed in" before going on to smoke it as normal. I tried that and can say it maybe resulted in a little quicker coloration than the meerschaum I just smoked as part of my regular rotation, but nothing dramatic.

You could also try using a meerschaum coloring bowl, but that seems like a lot of hassle.