a pipe for work

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benmarcum

Reaction score
I work in theatre and i spend a lot of time at work...way to much one could say. when we are in technical rehearsals we normally work a 14 to 16 hour day with a 2 hour dinner break (i am painting a good picture right). In that 2 hours i normally have to take some time to do any notes that need to be done and stuff my face with food. I would like to find a pipe with a smaller bowl that i can keep here at work and smoke in a bout half an hour without wasting tobacco...thoughts?

Occasionally you can find a Kaywoodie 13B at http://grayfoxonline.com/kay13b.html
Looks like they are out at the moment, but I got one a while back and it's a good half hour smoker for ~$30.
I've also found some older models on ebay for $10-$20.
Good Luck!

For smallish pipes, Peterson has their "Barrells" and "Tankard" series, Savinelli has their "Bent Bob" and "Lolita" series, Brebbia has their "Vest Pocket" pipes and Mike Brissett has some small pipes Brissett specials My favorite small pipe is a Dr. Grabow small bent billiard with a bowl 1.5" tall and about 1.2" wide.

Jim..my ha'pence worth

EJinVA":6ocf32wx said:
Occasionally you can find a Kaywoodie 13B at http://grayfoxonline.com/kay13b.html
Looks like they are out at the moment, but I got one a while back and it's a good half hour smoker for ~$30.
I've also found some older models on ebay for $10-$20.
Good Luck!
Older Kaywoodies in general include some great pipes that are short smokes. In general, estate pipes have some surprisingly nice small--bowled numbers. It makes sense: in an era where more men smoked a pipe, more men would need a smaller pipe if they needed one for break, intermission, etc.

Get a corn cob. They are smallish, inexpensive and smoke very nice, and if you lose it, it's inexpensive to replace.

But basically you can use any pipe. Just don't fill it to the rim.

1) Dr. Grabow Lark series. Small bowl, inexpensive.
2) Peterson Army Mount pipes. All of mine of this series have a small bowl, and easy to break down for cleaning. You can carry them in a shirt or pant's pocket
3) Corn Cob. The "Pony Express" is a particularly small corn cob
4) Partially fill any pipe you have. Some the mismatch between bowl and fill causes the tobacco to have a different flavor, but I have not found this to be a problem.

benmarcum":ojncnu9m said:
I work in theatre and i spend a lot of time at work...way to much one could say. when we are in technical rehearsals we normally work a 14 to 16 hour day with a 2 hour dinner break (i am painting a good picture right). In that 2 hours i normally have to take some time to do any notes that need to be done and stuff my face with food. I would like to find a pipe with a smaller bowl that i can keep here at work and smoke in a bout half an hour without wasting tobacco...thoughts?

Eulenburg":7l1522z4 said:
Get a corn cob. They are smallish, inexpensive and smoke very nice, and if you lose it, it's inexpensive to replace.

But basically you can use any pipe. Just don't fill it to the rim.
My thoughts exactly about the cob. Keep two or three in the trunk of the car as spares. They're like 5 bucks and smoke great.

Hey there. I´ve done musical theater work (as a musician) on and off for years. Most recently I did an 8 month run of "Sweet Charity". At that particular venue they are absolutely draconian over non-smoking regulations. I brought my smallest bowl pipes usually, a Dunhill billiard size 3, or my old Tinderbox beater. I would pack it before the show began, then get a few puffs in between acts and tacet numbers outside. One bowl would last me through the show, and for the drive home. I personally don´t mind smoking one bowl halfway and finishing it later. In fact, some blends actually taste better with a little breather after the initial light. I saw tech guy once at another theater here who had a Peterson system pipe hanging from his jaw constantly- a very paractical pipe for hands free smoking...