A pipe in the pocket

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Howdy,
I don't know if this has been addressed before, but here goes...

What do you guys find to be the best way to take a pipe along for a smoke in and about town. Say for instance, a night of barhopping, ect...
Do you pre-pack one pipe? Bring along tobacco? Or do you stuff 8 favorite pipes in your pocket with ten samples of tobacco and a bundle of pipe-cleaners?

And, how does one combat smelly pockets?

Toon

Hmm.

To my knowledge, pocketed pipes beget broken pipes. Pre-packed pipes can yield spilled tobacco when carried around and possibly dry your tobacco out...

...bar hopping and pipe smoking seem kind of opposite social activities, but I notice lots of people use pipes as fashion accessories. *shrug* It that's the case, just go empty, or carry around a small pouch of tobacco.

What one guy does over the other is quite varied. Some guys take a bevvy of pipes and a few tobaccos with them in specially-made cases. Others, like myself, travel light for an afternoon/evening; one pipe wrapped in a small tobacco pouch with about a half an ounce of whatever I'm in the mood for, a small lighter, some pipe cleaners, and a portable stand for the pipe if it isn't a sitter. Inner jacket pockets work well enough.

Usually, though, I'm not in bustling social situations with a pipe. That may elicit a whole different set of needs and circumstances. I'll leave 'em at home if it's a serious night out. Too risky.

I generally avoid social situations if at all possible, cause I find that the lions share of people will at frequent intervals behave in a stupid, annoying, boring, or some other similarly offputting fashion. As such, it is safer for both others and myself if I limit their opportunities to display this behavior in my presence.

That said, for light forays into the wilds of society, a small pipe or cob in an inside pocket and a ziplock bag of baccy will do, but nothing i would miss too terribly. For longer days or open ended adventures, i take a small backpack with a pipe or two in a box and tobacco in in a plastic container or ziplock. Sometimes if the bag will be full of suitably soft items such as a jacket or sweatshirt that can serve as padding, i will put a small jar or two in there.

I use a hard side sunglass case, made by oakley. It has a nice clip on one side, holds a pipe, czech tool, two lighters, an ounce of tobacco, & about 25 pipe cleaners. Works perfectly for me when I am transporting a pipe to work. Clips to my belt loop, & is very subdued, so it doesn't raise any eyebrows.

On the other hand, sorringowl makes very nice pipe/tobacco roll up pouches that might fit into the the cargo pocket of a pair of khakis.

I prepack. I find it annoying to pack my tobacco anywhere that isn't my home since there is often a slight mess afterwards. So the tobacco doesn't fall out I just put a little plastic wrap over the bowl. Then just take it out, tamp with finger, and boom.

momus":n4m12kh2 said:
I prepack. I find it annoying to pack my tobacco anywhere that isn't my home since there is often a slight mess afterwards. So the tobacco doesn't fall out I just put a little plastic wrap over the bowl. Then just take it out, tamp with finger, and boom.
Ditto! This is certainly the way to go, if you only plan to smoke one bowl. Also, a pipe cleaner can be doubled over and tucked inside your wallet, in case of emergency. The seran wrap will protect your pipe from most nicks and dings, and limit your carry to a pipe and lighter, or box of matches.

Looks like I need to move to Belgium so I can enjoy my pipe in a Bar. Most places around my area wont let you smoke, if you can smoke at all it's only cigarettes and no pipes or cigars. Oh how I miss the good ol days.
Best Regards
Richard

Richard Hester":s4txm19h said:
Looks like I need to move to Belgium so I can enjoy my pipe in a Bar. Most places around my area wont let you smoke, if you can smoke at all it's only cigarettes and no pipes or cigars. Oh how I miss the good ol days.
Best Regards
Richard
You might be a bit disappointed, since they banned smoking in bars in BE over the summer. But on the bright side, heated terraces are popping up like mushrooms; and a lot of proprietors close the curtains around midnight and declare the event as a private party.

Thanks for all the input guys! This is useful stuff.

Toon

For pipes that have been pre-packed or are in the process of being DGT'd I have a couple of those little metal windscreens that most every pipe shop or e-tailer carries. These work great for preventing spills in your pocket or in the car and when not in use can be slipped in a pocket or tobacco pouch or tin until needed.

Sometimes, I'll take a Big Ben Barbados (which comes with a leatherette carrying pouch) along with a small/50gr tin of flake tobacco. It's pretty handy for toting a pipe in the pocket.

There are still some bars/grills/pubs in Anderson, SC that still allow pipe smoking.

Jim

I don't usually bring a pipe with me if I'm just going out to the bars. Philly has a pretty restrictive smoking ban so there is little point. When I do carry a pipe with me, I have a little pouch that has room for two pipes, a bunch of pipe cleaners, a pipe tool and lighter, and about an ounce or two of tobacco. Though its a bit fat for a pocket. About 7-8 years ago I worked with a guy who smoked a pipe. He had a plaid vinyl roll-up tobacco pouch and he'd keep his pipe and lighter rolled up with his tobacco.

Dave_In_Philly":iumkin6y said:
He had a plaid vinyl roll-up tobacco pouch and he'd keep his pipe and lighter rolled up with his tobacco.
Exactly what I do. 8) Casleford makes them, and they're about $5.

---------------------------------------------

All in all, I'm pretty glad smoking isn't allowed in bars. I prefer them. I don't want to smoke my pipe around 100 cigarette smokers anyway...can't see the point if all I'm doing is smelling and re-tasting cig smoke. The occasional social outside smoke in warm weather is okay, though, even among cig smokers. Though of course I get the "Can I try it?" toward my pipe, as if we're "swapping," and I usually decline. The last thing I need is some barfly's mouth grime on my stem. Pun intended. :albino:

Sounds like an ideal opportunity to stick a corncob in your pocket and a bag of your chosen baccy.

One day I finished a smoke and put my favorite Ben Wade in my pocket. Later I squatted down and heard a sickening snap. I really liked that pipe. Now I wear a vest or jacket depending on the weather and use those copious pockets for pipe paraphernalia.

I wear a belt pouch (Maxpedition M2). Works perfectly for holding most of my pipes, although occasionally I have to let the stem stick out between the zippers a little if it's a longer stem.

I carry my pipes in a soft velvet pouch I got with my Comoy that is then placed into my belt pouch, and I often prepack bowls. Sometimes I carry toby in a small plastic pouch called a "Smellyproof." They're made for other types of...err...pipe smoking blends, but they work perfectly for holding and storing pipe tobacco.

An MM Cob and a Zip-Lock Snack size bag of a chosen blend for the evening out. Of course I try to wear shirts with pockets, so this helps. Lighter and pipe nail in my pants pocket and i've got everything I need.

Surprisingly, i've received quite a few complements at local bars. Where i'm at, most bars allow smoking - and pipes and cigars are all welcome. How long this situation will hold up, I don't know. But i'm taking advantage of it as long as I possibly can.

Locally i've found a few restaurants that allow cigarette-smoking only, but not too many - as most these days are no smoking establishments.

When we used to be able to smoke at work, I had a small three pipe rack at my desk and a tin of my 965 or Balkan Sobranie in a drawer and a packet or two of cleaners as well. I'd arrive at work with a pipe in my mouth and the 3 on the desk for the day. Now days, I just carry my old leather Dunhill roll-up ( it's been with me almost 40 years now and is still good) with a few cleaners a tamper in the pocket and one pipe in my coat pocket. (Outside breast pocket of a tweed jacket) . I've tried to aspire to the KISS principle in most things in my life :p

Unfortunately there aren't many bars, beaches, parks, sidewalks or anywhere really where one is permitted to smoke in this town. But when I go hiking or to a friends or any smoke friendly destination I have a pipe bag that fits 4 pipes (usually pre packed), a tin of tobacco, maybe a leather tobacco pouch, pipe cleaners, lighter etc.

But when I go out and can't take the whole arsenal I usually have my lighter, I carry a Czech tool on my keychain, and one small pipe pre packed and hidden in my floppy knit cap... Sounds odd but it works. I recently saw my cousin's band at the House of Blues. Had my pipe in my cap the whole time and after they played and we were having some P.B.R. in the back I pulled out my pipe and had a smoke.