A pipe rack for large pipes !

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it works really well. I don't know why this type of rack isn't more common. The bowl down vs. bowl up controversy is much ado about nothing. You just stick a pipe cleaner in the warm pipe and place the pipe in this style rack. A bit later, remove the cleaner and voila!--the pipe is airing properly, etc. May I ask what the pipe is in front, the 'dog resting on the ivory hockey puck? I just had a sudden PAD attack. Thanks a lot. ;)

Richard Burley":grdwhqgq said:
May I ask what the pipe is in front, the 'dog resting on the ivory hockey puck? I just had a sudden PAD attack. Thanks a lot. ;)
Pop quiz! I'm gonna guess Rinaldo.

I'm not sure what to think about "bowl up" vs "bowl down." It's so dry here, if one ran a pipe cleaner after a smoke, I doubt the pipe would be moist at all an hour later. I just do it because that's the way the pipe racks I have are designed.

As far as bigger pipes, so long as the space between them is adequate, widen the stem hole. 8) There's a decidedly large amount of pipe racks that all seem to be made for Bing Crosby-style pipes, though.

I imagine with that many pipes that drying time isn't an issue. That's a beautiful rack and a nice collection of pipes (I'd guess Rinaldo too, maybe a Ser Jacopo for that big bulldog).

On eBay, I've also had luck looking for racks that will hold large pipes by keeping an eye out for walnut racks made by Decatur Industries in (I'd guess) the '70s or early '80s when there were a lot more freehands around, which is what they were designed for. There are a lot of Decatur racks out there but this particular model seems to have been retired, but they are generally well made and attractive.

The nice thing about theses racks (I've got two one-tier racks for six pipes each and just bought the double tier rack, below for another dozen) is that they're forgiving: The solid back and open hole design means that a bent stem can nestle in it nicely, and the holes are spaced far enough apart to handle wide pipes. I've also got another standard 24-space rack for smaller pipes, but as we've all found out, larger, bent pipes don't fit them particularly well.

But these do show up sporadically and can usually be gotten relatively cheaply.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270889337628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Kyle Weiss":9u1zja9j said:
I'm not sure what to think about "bowl up" vs "bowl down." It's so dry here, if one ran a pipe cleaner after a smoke, I doubt the pipe would be moist at all an hour later. I just do it because that's the way the pipe racks I have are designed.

As far as bigger pipes, so long as the space between them is adequate, widen the stem hole. 8) There's a decidedly large amount of pipe racks that all seem to be made for Bing Crosby-style pipes, though.
Unless someone smokes a really wet pipe, I don't think it's much of an issue, bowl up or bowl down.

Unfortunately, most of the traditional bowl down racks don’t really accommodate big bowls. You put one in and the next space is virtually useless even for a smaller pipe.

Tim_Haggerty":ipp76k1d said:
I imagine with that many pipes that drying time isn't an issue. That's a beautiful rack and a nice collection of pipes (I'd guess Rinaldo too, maybe a Ser Jacopo for that big bulldog).

On eBay, I've also had luck looking for racks that will hold large pipes by keeping an eye out for walnut racks made by Decatur Industries in (I'd guess) the '70s or early '80s when there were a lot more freehands around, which is what they were designed for. There are a lot of Decatur racks out there but this particular model seems to have been retired, but they are generally well made and attractive.

The nice thing about theses racks (I've got two one-tier racks for six pipes each and just bought the double tier rack, below for another dozen) is that they're forgiving: The solid back and open hole design means that a bent stem can nestle in it nicely, and the holes are spaced far enough apart to handle wide pipes. I've also got another standard 24-space rack for smaller pipes, but as we've all found out, larger, bent pipes don't fit them particularly well.

But these do show up sporadically and can usually be gotten relatively cheaply.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270889337628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

That's a nice rack on ebay. I've seen a few older racks that hold large pipes (bowls down) but they're hard to come by. I looked online on at lease ten retail sites and the racks were all the traditional ones, so I had this one made for less money.

Hey John: That is a beautiful collection of pipes and a most attractive display. I especially like your flying cabinet knobs. A true photography classic. I'm doing some research myself on acquiring a rack. I may just be your friend's next customer. I'm interested in a three tier contemporary rack with keyhole slots on a 45 degree angle so that 36 large pipes are racked bowl down in profile.

you need a profile rack for larger pipes/bowls. ebay.

prack.jpg

CakeandDottle: Take a look at this video and you will get a better idea of what I had in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr9ZHKXRgKE

You see, I have several very large oom pauls, a large Mario, and a Pete Kinsale XL20 all with bent stems. They tend to tumble out of racks which I have with open stem rests. I find that I have to keep a rubber band around the rack and over the stems to prevent a fallen and god forbid broken pipe. Keyhole construction enables the racking of large pipes with bent stems and also prevents them from tumbling off the rack. Thanks anyway for your suggestion.

that keyhole rack is fine for the nosewarmers you smoke, but if you have any squat bulldogs, full bents, or large Burley pipes like I have, the profile rack will accommodate them all.

that first part is meant in good humor btw :D

I got the humor. I frequently view my oom pauls as nose bakers because they smoke so long you could bake a cake in my nostrils. If I load a pressed tobacco like Penzance it's an all day smoke. Man, I love 'em. The video I sent mentions that smokingpipes carries them but I did not see them on the internet. I'm planning on calling smokingpipes to inquire further. I also like the fact that the racks are modular. One never knows, do one, if PAD will require me to purchase additional modular units.

LIPIPE":rbsrwapf said:
I got the humor. I frequently view my oom pauls as nose bakers because they smoke so long you could bake a cake in my nostrils. If I load a pressed tobacco like Penzance it's an all day smoke. Man, I love 'em. The video I sent mentions that smokingpipes carries them but I did not see them on the internet. I'm planning on calling smokingpipes to inquire further. I also like the fact that the racks are modular. One never knows, do one, if PAD will require me to purchase additional modular units.
afaik they had a problem with their supplier on these racks and we may not be seeing them again

With a group the size of ours we should be able to find a craftsman who could make a prototype and set up a home garage operation to make these racks. I would guess there would be a significant demand especially if they are modular and can grow with a pipe collection. Most of the racks on e-bay were for our grandfather's pipes and ours now are different and much larger. We also tend to have more of them than our grandfathers did. I want my pipes attractively and safely placed and I don't want to have them in multiple old fashioned stands that are too small to properly accommodate them so my search continues.

That is a beautiful collection and pipe rack John. I never knew of the up or down debate. Yet one more thing learned tonight.

LIPIPE":4yw7qo92 said:
Hey John: That is a beautiful collection of pipes and a most attractive display. I especially like your flying cabinet knobs. A true photography classic. I'm doing some research myself on acquiring a rack. I may just be your friend's next customer. I'm interested in a three tier contemporary rack with keyhole slots on a 45 degree angle so that 36 large pipes are racked bowl down in profile.
Thanks, Marty. If you want me to ask Max about his workload, etc., let me know. He does this in his spare time and I don't know how much work he has ahead of him. I noticed the cool rack you're talking about with the keyholes. If you can't find one retail, maybe he could make one like it. I don't know. I'd have to see.

Take care !

Mozjo33":om46gumc said:
That is a beautiful collection and pipe rack John. I never knew of the up or down debate. Yet one more thing learned tonight.
Thanks Mozjo. I don't know whether there's a big difference in how pipes are stored. I've got both kind of racks now so I guess I'll find out.

Take care, and nice picture !

Good morning John and men: We're up with the roosters today. I'm smoking a large "nosewarmer" oom paul just oozing with delicious Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard. I've contacted a rack builder who is based in Pennsylvania who is interested in working with me to design/build a rack to my specs. I'll keep all you guys informed. If it works out well, perhaps we can all get on board.