A pipe with special meaning.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FibberMcGee

Reaction score
I have two pipes in mind for this post.

The first is a battered old kaywoodie billiard that belonged to my grandfather. I remember all of the times I would see him sitting in his easy chair, filling it with Prince Albert and lighting up with a box of blue diamond matches. In the process of getting his pipe going he would always lay the matchbox on top of the bowl to restrict air-flow and then get a good head of steam going. Inside, outside, he always had that pipe in his mouth. I only smoke it on Christmas which was about the only time that I saw my grandparents. I always smoke PA in it, which I never smoke otherwise. It is my most valued, beloved pipe.

The second is a birth year Dunhill given to me by my now ex-wife. It is a shell briar shape 127 chubby billiard and smokes great, but I never smoke it nowadays because of the memories it brings back. I don't know, at some point I will probably get rid of it.

What about you? Do you have any pipes that have special significance to you?

I have 4 of my grandfathers pipes. A two kaywoodies a medico and a yello bole. I remember well him smoking CH in the morning with his coffee and the news paper. I have no plans to smoke these pipes.

Great Topic!

Yes I do, the one that comes immediately to mind is a earlier Lannes Johnson creation (before the LJ Heart series for Frenchy) that I horse-traded with the late Luke Lofton and good friend I made at the Edward's shop in Richardson, TX. Some will remember Luke from ASP and ASP chat where he went by his HAM radio call sign. When Luke passed someone began a thread on the ASP newsgroup in morse code (saying goodbye). I really miss Luke a lot, despite his illness, he was one of the most generous persons I've ever known.

Another former employee of that Edward's shop blended a private label mixture called Palo Duro Delight (Latakia, VA and Perique) which I still have several ounces of. Every once in awhile I load up that pipe and remember Luke and other friends who are now in the great smoking room in 'the next place'. That pipe smokes pretty well, is not anything especially nice to look at, long stem about 1/2 bent, big bowl and smoking chamber, but it will never be sold or traded for ANYTHING. It has some wonderful memories attached to it ...

It may be viewed here

Two others that come to mind are a couple estate pre-transition Barlings that a great friend from Alaska shipped me one day outta the blue! They are coming along nicely as they were both 'ghosted' pretty heavily and I don't own a retort. There is definitely something to be said for 'old briar'.

I have 6 pipes that were carved by my dad. I was born on my dad's birthday in 1960. This August I will be 49 and the same day he will be 75. He is beginning to have health problems and has been having some mini-strokes and the beginning of dementia possibly.

He has always been very good at carving (whittlin' as he calls it) and has made me a total of 12 various pipe tampers, two walking sticks, a cedar box to keep my pipe cleaning supplies in, and 6 pipes. One of the pipes he carved was from a "carve it yourself" kit that I bought and asked him to carve. The others are completely hand made from woods native to Tennessee with stems that I provided. I wouldn't part with any of the items he has made.

LtMac

I have four pipes that belonged to my uncle--a CAO calabash, a GBD Prince, a Turk's head meer, and an Owl Club [Owl Shop's basket line] bent. He died very suddenly, and I was the only pipe-smoker my aunt knew. Now and again I fire them up in his memory, especially the Prince (which is a great smoker, even if the stem oxidizes quickly.)

These are all some very great stories. An awesome read.

I have the old Dr. Grabow pipe my dad picked up in the late 60's. My dad only smoked it a few times and stuck it in the "junk drawer" as we called it in the kitchen. He stayed with the cigarettes. It was the first pipe I smoked.

My grandfather on my mother's side had a dozen pipes and smoked daily. My uncle got those, though he doesn't smoke them. Pity.

I hired a man to work for me back in 2001 who was a middle-aged Italian fellow. Though 20 years my senior we became very good friends. He discovered that I smoked a pipe and gave me three of his late father's estate pipes, and I still smoke them all today. A big Ben Wade free hand, a Comoy "Lancer," and an Aldo Velani long shank. He was a good friend to give me those pipes.

Wonderful thread! I hope to create some meaningful memories as my days go by here. The original poster mentioned a once beloved pipe that was purchased as a gift for him by his ex wife. I understand his feelings as I am divorced going on 2 years now and I'd hate to have that issue with a once prized object. My other hobby so to speak is traditional wet shaving with straight razors and I'm so happy my former wife of 21 years never purchased anything for me in regard to that interest.

LtMac":f2v3ebak said:
I have 6 pipes that were carved by my dad. I was born on my dad's birthday in 1960. This August I will be 49 and the same day he will be 75. He is beginning to have health problems and has been having some mini-strokes and the beginning of dementia possibly.

He has always been very good at carving (whittlin' as he calls it) and has made me a total of 12 various pipe tampers, two walking sticks, a cedar box to keep my pipe cleaning supplies in, and 6 pipes. One of the pipes he carved was from a "carve it yourself" kit that I bought and asked him to carve. The others are completely hand made from woods native to Tennessee with stems that I provided. I wouldn't part with any of the items he has made.

LtMac
God's mercy and blessings on you and your Dad ...

Antique Hoosier":2641uy7n said:
The original poster mentioned a once beloved pipe that was purchased as a gift for him by his ex wife. I understand his feelings as I am divorced going on 2 years now and I'd hate to have that issue with a once prized object.
Yo, Bro.' Not to be getting into your personal stuff here, but there were good times to remember too. Right ?

:face:

Yak":6n3iz94j said:
Yo, Bro.' Not to be getting into your personal stuff here, but there were good times to remember too. Right ?

Yes, but the divorce was less than a year ago, so I guess I'll just keep it in storage until time has healed a few wounds.

FibberMcGee":vid4yuxe said:
Yak":vid4yuxe said:

Yes, but the divorce was less than a year ago, so I guess I'll just keep it in storage until time has healed a few wounds.
Been there, done that, it gets better Bro, hang in there ... :pipe:

I was in Viet Nam in 1968-69. When I went over I took 4 pipes with me as well as 4 pounds of tobacco. It seems like it was no time that I had either lost or broken all of them. Here I was in a war zone with no possibility of getting another pipe. I wrote my wife concerning my circumstance and asked her to send me at least one pipe. About 3 weeks later I get a "Care" package with a small Willard Dublin and another 2 pounds of Black and Tan, an English blend from Fred Diebel of Kansas City. Why she only sent one is beyond me but I treasured and took care of that little pipe like I took care of my rifle. It sets in a place of honor in my rack, I still smoke it once in a while. It brings back a lot of memories.

Rodney

Canvasback":oboe3dne said:
I was in Viet Nam in 1968-69. When I went over I took 4 pipes with me as well as 4 pounds of tobacco. It seems like it was no time that I had either lost or broken all of them. Here I was in a war zone with no possibility of getting another pipe. I wrote my wife concerning my circumstance and asked her to send me at least one pipe. About 3 weeks later I get a "Care" package with a small Willard Dublin and another 2 pounds of Black and Tan, an English blend from Fred Diebel of Kansas City. Why she only sent one is beyond me but I treasured and took care of that little pipe like I took care of my rifle. It sets in a place of honor in my rack, I still smoke it once in a while. It brings back a lot of memories.

Rodney
Cool story, that pipe is a real trooper :cheers:

I have some very nice pipes but none are worth more to me than those gifted by friends. Pipes that transcend value. These gifts from friends are more than just smoking instruments and they are all equally important to me regardless of monetary value and are head and shoulders more cherished then any other pipes I own.

I have an old Peterson billiard and an even older Civic Deluxe billiard that Yak gave me - both very fine smokers and cool representative pipes from bygone eras. These pipes are unique because Yak seeks out these old, modest, quiet little gems that turn out to be superb smokers. They are lessons taught as well, which magnify the gifts themselves.

A 60's era Savinelli that TJ gave me a couple years ago - a pipe he used to smoke while fishing the same river I now fish. I take it with me sometimes when I go steelheading and it's a treasure to enjoy it and think about him and what the river must have been like back then.

The Castello that Dan (aka Midnight Blues) gave me last week, a superb pipe and one of the finest briars I own, and a pipe who's value is dwarfed by the value of the gift itself. I've been trying to smoke the life out of it these past few days :D It laughs at my meager attempts :lol: This pipe will outlive me!

Mark - (aka Justpipes) gave me a great little Kaywoodie billiard when he drew my name in the secret Santa last year. Proved to me soundly that these humble briars deserve their dignified place in the ranks of worthy briars. A fine gift and a fine smoker!

There are pipes I bought from friends that also have special meaning. They remind me of these fellows every time I smoke them.

I have one pipe that has a very special place in my rack. It was a Christmas gift from my Mother. Nothing really special about the pipe itself. It's a Karl Erik bent. Came off of the wall at a local B&M five years ago. It's an OK smoker, but probably because I don't smoke it all that often and it is still in the break-in transition stage.

What makes this pipe special to me is that when I received it, my Mother was near the end of an eight year battle with cancer. Two weeks later She was gone. Even though I don't smoke it all that much, it's my favorite pipe.

Randy

All wonderful stories! From a battle worn gift from a wife back home (very special indeed) to gifts from dear friends that we have met through what we have come to call the Brotherhood of the Briar, to pipes smoked by our fathers, grandfathers and uncles. :cheers:

Like many, I have pipes that were gifted to me that I shall never part with. However, one of my most cherished pipes which I have never smoked by the way, is a pipe that my son brought back to me from Africa when he was a missionary there. He would go over into the bush in Mozambique and minister to the tribes or peoples there who were very poor. He aquired a pipe from one of those peoples that is a figural pipe carved from I think African rosewood and brought the pipe back to me as a gift. This pipe is very special to me and means a great deal because when my son was in harms way deep in the bush of Africa, he thought of me in a special kind of way. I also have 2 very special pipes that were gifted to me by one of our own pipe artisans of which I own many of his pipes, but these two are very special and I will never part with them! My father was a pipe smoker and I have a couple of his pipes from the 50's or 60's that are very special and again I will never part with them. The list goes on and on as is obviously evidenced by many of the testimonies here. What a great endeaver is the pipe! Thanks to everyone for sharing in it with us all! :cheers:

raevans":8nh88d7o said:
What makes this pipe special to me is that when I received it, my Mother was near the end of an eight year battle with cancer. Two weeks later She was gone. Even though I don't smoke it all that much, it's my favorite pipe.
Randy
Rightfully so Randy!

While each pipe I've acquired has special meaning in their own way none has more than the pipe my children gave me last year for my 50th birthday. They surprised me with a wonderful Cavicchi 5C saucer, I will always cherish this pipe....

I have no great pipes or an heirloom from a family member, as far as I know, I'm the only pipe smoker in my family. I have carved a few and my three boys are already enthralled with them(ages 9,9 & 8). I hope they will become cherished heirlooms for them, or at least a reminder of that mean ol' sumbitch that used to hassle them. Either way, my legacy will go on.

I have two that I would never get rid of or trade. The first one is a very small meerschaum with a Lions head. The second is an 2003 Eric Nording Oscaro Egg. Both given to me by my son. The first one probably about twenty years ago now when I started pipe smoking. The second in 2003 as a birthday gift.