A question about aging tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christeaux

Reaction score
I have a fresh unopened tin of tobacco and I decided that I wanted to age it for a year or two. However instead of storing it in a mason jar like I normally do I just left it in the tin. I was wondering if it will age properly in the tin or if I need to remove it and seal it in another container.

Tins are just fine. That's my preferred method. Just keep them someplace dry and inspect them for rust every 6-12 months or so. I've never had one rust on me before, but I've heard it can happen.

George Kaplan":iemsxg9n said:
Tins are just fine. That's my preferred method. Just keep them someplace dry and inspect them for rust every 6-12 months or so.
This.

Mason Jars work fine for tobacco you buy in bulk but if it's already in a tin, just let it be.

Tins seem to work just fine. I do, however, hear about "pinholes" and imperfections with the cat-food style tins (McClelland/C&D/Pease/etc--anything with a pop-top) that have disappointed a few gents opening them up to some pretty bleak, dry product. I guess it is suggested to check corners and the seals, if possible, and if any are suspect, simply open them and put them into jars. I notice certain cat-food type tins are pretty puffed out, which leaves me confident they're okay. *shrug*

My concern was always with the factory-issue bags of 8 oz... for example:

* Do SG's "bloated mylar bags" keep their seal as good as I think they do? Obviously, they're not leaking, lookin' like a puffer fish and such.

* Do Esoterica/JF Germain bags keep their seal? It's more like a "coffee bag" with a book sealed inside.

Thanks for the advice guys. And is there a certain point in aging where the tobacco peaks and leaving it for any longer amount of time will have little to no affect.

christeaux":9mjiojy0 said:
And is there a certain point in aging where the tobacco peaks and leaving it for any longer amount of time will have little to no affect.
In general tobaccos change the most over any given time interval when they're young. As they age change slows down. It doesn't necessarily stop ever but the interval between noticeable changes increases the older it gets. Whether you will enjoy the changes wrought by age depends upon the tobacco itself too of course. Time doesn't benefit everything. Heavily topped or flavoured tobaccos will lose the flavouring over time. But all of this is a matter of personal taste. You may prefer them fresher. Some tobaccos change very little, which is quite good if you like their flavours when young. Others will change quite significantly and appear to have no horizon. Virginias are a good example of the latter.

The other good reason to put tobaccos in jars is to match the size of the container with your consumption. It leaves the rest intact to age some more. For example if you buy an 8, 16, or 24 oz package but you smoke only a little so that it takes you a month to get through 2 oz then repackaging the bulk pack into many much smaller jars to age is a better solution. It also allows you to sample the same batch as it ages. This is a nice benefit. The batch is fixed so only aging and storage conditions can effect the tobacco. You likely got a better price per oz than a smaller tin and you have control over batch.

You don't say what tobacco you are talking about. Most do at least a semi vacuum seal, but some do not. An example, Solani does not so you need to transfer them asap. The round tins seem to do better than the square/rectangular ones for whatever reason. All tobacco ages, ie, gets older and breaks down becoming milder. Some seem to think 3-5 yrs is the biggest change, and some 5-7. All a matter of opinion.

I did not realize that tobaccos age differently so I didn't mention the type. In the tin I have some dh nightcap, as well as about three ounces of nightcap in a jar, and then about an ounce and a half of peterson's old Dublin in a jar.

christeaux":k9cbywb8 said:
I did not realize that tobaccos age differently so I didn't mention the type. In the tin I have some dh nightcap, as well as about three ounces of nightcap in a jar, and then about an ounce and a half of peterson's old Dublin in a jar.
I think it is generally considered that virginias may age and improve indefinitely, although as mentioned the process tapers off considerably after a few years. English or blends with latakia are the ones that reach a peak and then start to deteriorate or lose their flavor. Some feel this loss of flavor can start as soon as 5 years but certainly once the blend has been cellared for 10 or more many feel it may be getting past its prime. Like cigars, it depends on what you started with, some cigars still pack a punch after 50+ years of storage.

Burleys, due to their lack of sugar content, generally are not considered to age at all.

Hope this helps.

My understanding from reading on the subject is that Virginia's change over time, Latakia hits a peak in a couple/few tears and aromatics lose some (possible) bite in a year or so. Mty personal experience would add that Virginia's can be aged just about indefinitely; aged Latakia gives a lot of aromatic promise but -- once exposed to air -- can lose its flavor, and Aromatics begin to taste like cigarettes.

More of mho -- It's best to age tobacco in air-tight containers (original tins should be fine) . . . For bulk pipeweed I use the good'ol Mason jar, keep them in the box the jars came in ... and keep the box(es) in a cool, dark corner of the basement.

Mt tobacco aging secret -- buy bulk tobacco in the Spring ... get it ready for aging by removing twigs and splinters -- on the first hot, sunny day, get out the mason jars, stuff 'em with your tobacco hoard, and screw the lids down loosely ... I use a small can of tomato paste as a tamper to pack the jars ... In general, I think using smaller Mason jars is better than big Mason jars, but in practice I use what's on hand. ... Place the stuffed jars on the seat of yor car (a dark colored car if possible, windows up, doors locked) and park it in the sun ... allow to cook for the afternoon ... Then open the car, snug down the lids, put the jars back in the box they came in and hide 'em away in the basement ... Linger a while and you'll hear the "pop!" of the vacuum lids sealing. Now comes the hard part -- wait a couple/few years.

No heat for my 'bacca, just keepin' it simple by packin' the mason jars full of the most tobacco I can within reason, and letting the aerobic/anaerobic dance begin, with patience on my part. 8) It's what the wise men here suggest, and while fashion tips may not be their strong suit, I'll take their tobak advice.

jefe1037":hazgpjuw said:
I honestly laughed out loud when i read this. +1 to You, Sir.
I appreciate it. It's hard to look dignified with a face full of ash. *cough* I said "ash." 8)

Yikes, massive thread derailment.

So I have this small jar of FVF that I keep watching, so I have a legitimate question at this point. Has anyone seen the "bloom" or crystals form on their stuff after so many years in the jar? I occasionally stare in there with a flashlight to see if there's any of this fine stuff growing, but they're about as shiny as a primer'ed car.

Given the short period of time that you've been smoking, I wouldn't look for plume or crystals for some time.

I dont know when the crystals will begin to form. But, I can tell you that 3-4 year old FVF in a tin had tons of crystals on it.

Bill

If I had a mulligan, I'd probably not use the phrase "allow to cook" in my "car stoving" post above. The intent of putting the Mason jars in the car to heat for the afternoon is to assure a snug, long-lasting seal when I take them out and let them drop to cellar storage temperature. I only had one experience with stoving tobacco (to which the missus objected), so I don't consider myself an authority on the matter.