A question about jsck knife plug

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertpiper

Reaction score
Is it me or does jkp prefer a pipe with an easier draw? I'm smoking it now in a pipe with a somewhat tight draw and it's giving me fits.

It's possible. With a small draught hole, it's easier for a chunk of tobacco to partially obstruct it and wreak havoc. The smaller the hole, the more noticeable it will be. What I do with flakes is create a little bed of tobacco at the bottom which serves as a sieve. I then fill the pipe with the rest of the tobacco, either rubbed-out or cubed-up. This helps keep the airway free.

With JKP, I'd first slice off a small flake-sized strip and ball it up like a little pillow. Then drop it in the bowl and let it expand so the whole area of the bottom is covered. Check the draw, finish filling the bowl, and you're good to go.

MisterE":lhqcgaat said:
It's possible. With a small draught hole, it's easier for a chunk of tobacco to partially obstruct it and wreak havoc. The smaller the hole, the more noticeable it will be. What I do with flakes is create a little bed of tobacco at the bottom which serves as a sieve. I then fill the pipe with the rest of the tobacco, either rubbed-out or cubed-up. This helps keep the airway free.

With JKP, I'd first slice off a small flake-sized strip and ball it up like a little pillow. Then drop it in the bowl and let it expand so the whole area of the bottom is covered. Check the draw, finish filling the bowl, and you're good to go.
Thanks for the tips. What I think was happening is, I was rubbing it out to flakes then they would lay flat at the bottom of the bowl. Then packing would just cover the hole.

When are you going to be in Tucson?

No idea why, but I prefer JKP in a big-bowled Meerschaum! A huge bent apple, with a big easy draw, yeah. I like to cut off a flake, cut it in half, the put little cubes in the bottom. Then, i rub the rest out really fine and fill above that. I smoke it throughout the day, cause one sitting of JKP that size would make you hallucinate! By the time the ribbon ash gets down to the cubes they seem to widen out and sweeten up and burn just fine.

Its a weird method, I know. But overall I do say I find JKP to be an overall moist-acting baccy. I usually pre-rub all GLP plugs which I intend to smoke up, as opposed to slice at the time of smoking. I like to get a little oxygen to the guts of it before lighting it up. It seems to bring out a layer of flavor I miss otherwise. Open it some, like a drop of water in a Scotch.

Cheers!