A Question about MacQueen Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, I had a bad experience with Macqueen myself. I ordered both the Wizard and Ranger from Macqueen's website back in January. To make a long story short, I ended up getting frustrated after several unanswered emails, several excuses, an outright lie, and just all around terrible customer service. I finally received the pipes after six and a half long months!

Now that I finally have the pipes, I am very happy with them. They both smoke very well. For those who haven't tried the wizard, it is a slow smoker that is exceptionally cool. I love the look of the ranger, and plan on taking it on my next hiking adventure in the deep woods. Both pipes have a very "rough" cut hole in the tip of the wood stem (which seems to be standard for most of these pipes after reading the posts of others), but I don't mind that much as it almost adds that the imperfect "rustic" look of these pipes.

I really like the unique look of Macqueen's "Thorne" pipe (on their website). It looks like something that I could imagine the Nazgul in the Lord of the Rings smoking. Something of an interesting display piece perhaps.

It's too bad that Macqueen's customer service was so horrible. I was planning on acquiring several other Macqueen pipes, but not after my recent experience with them. I just can't justify patronizing a company that treats their customers so poorly!

Welp it has been about a month since they "shipped" my pipe and it hasn't arrived yet. Lately we are between 8 days and a 2 weeks to get stuff to this place. I emailed MacQueen and let them know it hasn't arrived, big surprise....NO RESPONSE!!

But...but...it is just so hard dad. Lol. I forgot about that, thank you for reminding me BH.

Jerk....gee thanks :lol!: Yeah I have a feeling I am going to get screwed too, just another tick mark and reason not to order from them or their products anywhere again. Business ethic fail on their part. The 17 minutes you gave me was nice though lol.

Greetings fellow pipe smokers. I just came in from having a long cool smoke of full virginia flake from my mcqueen thorne pipe my wife had bought me 11 or 12 years ago for my birthday. i thought i`d see if they were still in the business and after a google search i stumbled across this here thread. I sure hate to see they have gone down hill so badly. I cant even guess how many bowls i have smoked in mine over the years but it`s still one of my old stand by pipes because of the way it smokes. I remember even back then we waited months for it to arrive and i was sure we got snookered but they did answer emails and it arrived. I came with honey or something sticky in the bowl but i wanted to build a natural cake in it so i washed that out and built up a thick natural cake with price albert and blockaid runner.

Blackhorse":8a5qyd4v said:
Must have been Cigar Store Jay...a good guy.
I heard that Cigarstorejay guy is a pretty decent fella. Don't ask his wife, though. :lol:

It is a shame that there is so much negativity about this pipe company. It used to be that their customer service issues were with their retail customers, not their wholesale customers. I emailed them back in the beginning of June and haven't heard back myself. I order a lot more than 1 pipe at a time too.

What can you do?

kaiser83":mow66sf5 said:
Blackhorse":mow66sf5 said:
Must have been Cigar Store Jay...a good guy.
Nail on the head, a darn nice guy and easy to do business with. He didn't have the pipe sheaths listed when i ordered the pipe, but a quick email and I had one included. Always better to support a brother here.

Thanks for the kind words, btw. I'm always happy to help out. Hope yo are enjoying it.

Happy Smoking

Jay

Well, I just got an email from MacQueen apologizing for the long delay and a gift code for 50 dollars off if I decide to buy a pipe from them again. They also informed me that even though my pipe was marked shipped, it had not shipped and they are "upgrading to airmail and shipping today for free". First...REALLY for free.....well no kidding that is the least they could do. Secondly it is the same type of email everyone talks about, but with everyone talking about them it does not change the fact that now 6 months after ordering it still isn't shipped, and the fact that someone in their factory id blatantly lying to customers and marking orders as shipped when they are not. Fifty dollars off is nice, but all I can think is to give the code to the wife and tell her I really want one of their pipes so that she can call and nag the crap out of them every day, 3 times a day, when it goes over expected production time (of course she has no idea about this whole situation and the wait and trouble to get this pipe now). :x :evil:

Devious. Or you could give it to somebody you hate, I'm sure there must be a contender among us somewhere...

Greyson":hf1md8p9 said:
Devious. Or you could give it to somebody you hate, I'm sure there must be a contender among us somewhere...
That email went straight to trash, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. I viewed it as a feeble attempt to make up for now 6 months of making the pipe and a lie to me about shipping a month ago. I already decided they would get no more of my money in any way and in order to prevent myself from giving them even a dime that email had to go bye bye. I'd rather not give them the satisfaction of buying me off than get a free pipe.

kaiser83":xs85rhej said:
Greyson":xs85rhej said:
That email went straight to trash, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. I viewed it as a feeble attempt to make up for now 6 months of making the pipe and a lie to me about shipping a month ago. I already decided they would get no more of my money in any way and in order to prevent myself from giving them even a dime that email had to go bye bye. I'd rather not give them the satisfaction of buying me off than get a free pipe.
I respect a man with principles! There are so few of us these days. I'm sorry you are so soured on them. Completely understandable, and unfortunate.

kaiser83 - Wow, it's like groundhog day. Now that you received the email apologizing....and now that the pipe is actually being shipped out this time (by the way, they were just kidding the first time they said it was shipped)...you should receive it in under 2 weeks. Really.

Hey, at least they offered to give you a discount on your next purchase. No such lip service for me. It's really too bad. Great product, terrible customer service!

I'm just waiting for a month to go by where they tell me the pipe still hasn't been mailed.

kaiser83":nfifnicg said:
I'm just waiting for a month to go by where they tell me the pipe still hasn't been mailed.
Hopefully the pipe will be awesome when you finally get it. Then you can look back and laugh...?

That Mr Cigarstorejay cat came through for me and I was able to order from him. I just want to mirroe what has been said. If you have the opportunity to deal with him, you're gonna be nothing but delighted. Great guy and happy to give a Brother some business.

Got my MacQ churchwardens over the weekend and got a chance to fire up a bowl of Union Square. The pipe smoked great, no problems, whatsoever! If you can get one, you'll enjoy smoking one of their pipes!