A question and one answered, but in that order

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Behike54

Reaction score
Well, the answer to the question about comparing to pipes to cigars and what role pipes will play in my rotation is answered by the following pic.

My plans are to fill the pint jars for long-term storage of bulk and 1/2 pint for smoking/assessing. 75-80% LT storage/25-30 4 consumption.

1) I know I should leave an inch, give or take from the top, but how densely packed?

2) It is ok to put less tobacco in a jar, even if it is far below an inch? (too much oxygen?)

3) What about flake? Stuff it in? Can I put a small amount of, say, Stonehaven, 60z. in pint and 2oz in 1/2 pint? I am ready to start jarring but ,y usual newb self is a fraddy-cat of doing something wrong. (should I just leave the stonehaven in bag? UGH!

Piping ain't for WIMPS or the squeemish!

The amount per jar depends on the amount of tobacco and the amount of jar.

GL Pease Westminster lbs are smaller than C&D half pounds. Whose right?
Packed tight or loose & airy????
Personally I don't think matters.

When packing flake I do try to keep the flake intact.

( my answers with no real answers getting old yet? )

puros_bran":srfixpt2 said:
The amount per jar depends on the amount of tobacco and the amount of jar.

GL Pease Westminster lbs are smaller than C&D half pounds. Whose right?
Packed tight or loose & airy????
Personally I don't think matters.

When packing flake I do try to keep the flake intact.

( my answers with no real answers getting old yet? )

No way, chief! You are the NIGHTRIDER, King of the Koans!

Put THAT on your resume!

Thanks, bro!

I don't think the quantity of air matters as much as the fact that there is air. If there is no air or water pipe tobacco won't age. As anaerobic aging provides most of the taste benefits of aging, the point of the quantity of the air is only significant in how long the tobacco will stay in the preliminary aerobic phase. As the completion of the aerobic phase initiates the more important anaerobic phase, you could say that the importance of the aerobic is just that. If you're aging the jar for two years or more, more or less, that longer aging period makes how long it took for the anaerobic phase to begin less important.

How much tobacco do you put in a jar? For me that depends on how much tobacco I've got to jar. I can't say whether this is a good practice or not; it's just what I do. But commonly I jar all cuts of tobacco in 100g or 4 ounce increments. You can fit more in, but down the road when you want to smoke your aged stash, 100 g/4 ounces is a good amount to chew on for awhile, allowing other jars to continue aging.

There is a lot of disagreement about whether or not uninterrupted or interrupted aging is best; that is, is it a good practice to allow yourself to dip into jars that you have designated for long-term aging just "to get a little to smoke." People seem to agree that neither practice yields better aging; instead, they yield different aging. But I'm of the opinion that uninterrupted aging is best as one thing is for sure, each time the jar is opened anaerobic aging stops, and whatever time is necessary to go through the aerobic again has to complete before anaerobic aging will begin again. I think that a chemical process that is the smoothest is the best. Compare this to the aging of cigars; don't you think a constant humidity fosters their aging better than one that fluctuates?

Don't obsess over things like this, and You'll live longer to enjoy the contents. :farao:

If one is tempted to dip during the course of the aging process, filling three or four mini mason jars with 1/2 ounce each of the said tobacco makes sense. If anything it would be a good way to gauge how the tobacco is aging. Or no?

Z - what you said.

B54 - pints? I thought we all told you to get the wide mouth quarts! Do come along, man.

Plus - all this crap about aging is one of those 'toss up' things...right? I've often heard it said that aging makes the smoke oh so mellow, etc. Well, I prefer my blends sharp with flavor and as full as possible. And anyway, I just don't want the bus to hit me when I'm holding instead of just having smoked my favorite. Sure...I've got a boatload of blends walled up inside the 'Cave of Wonders' but I never smoke a lesser blend when I've got a favorite on hand. All that other stuff was just TAD? Friends ask me why I always smoke up my best, first. It's Carpe Diem, Mo Fo! At my age, I can't afford to F around. Think of it this way...there's this beautifull woman there at the resort with you... she's gorgeous... alluring... um, highly skilled... the certainty of incredible delights right there in front of you... curves in all the right places... all hot and bubbly... and she wants you... NOW!

Your answer is:

A) Gosh, I'd like to...but can you hold that thought for six months...maybe a year or two? There's this ugly girl down the hall in 104 that kinda smells bad and I wanna try her out first.

-or -

B) Light me up Babe!