A question for computer/music guys/gals

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, but you´d need to define how functions like add/subtract, multiply/divide etc could be represented musically/aurally. The integers themselves are quite easy to hear. The entire equation can be done within the interval of a Major ninth. Establishing their function would be a little more complicated, but not impossible.

In this little demonstration "0" (zero) is not accounted for and could be problematic in representing musically as well.

Pi in fixed do musical solfege would be:

Mi, Do, Fa, Do, Sol, Re'(9th), Re, La, etc.
3 . 1 4 1 5 9 2 6 etc.

Actually, transcribing music by ear is essentially the same process in reverse as what was done in this video.

Neat. :afro:

MisterE":51muwagv said:
Sure, but you´d need to define how functions like add/subtract, multiply/divide etc could be represented musically/aurally. The integers themselves are quite easy to hear. The entire equation can be done within the interval of a Major ninth. Establishing their function would be a little more complicated, but not impossible.

In this little demonstration "0" (zero) is not accounted for and could be problematic in representing musically as well.

Pi in fixed do musical solfege would be:

Mi, Do, Fa, Do, Sol, Re'(9th), Re, La, etc.
3 . 1 4 1 5 9 2 6 etc.

Actually, transcribing music by ear is essentially the same process in reverse as what was done in this video.

Neat. :afro:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: ...and a little :scratch:
I need some music lessons from you! Seriously!

You know, something I have never gotten tired of is the sheer reality that music is literally a language. And yeah, that language is spectacularly well suited for math.

I get such a kick out of the fact that I totally get what you're saying MisterE.

And that video, well, consider my mind blown. Just imagine the possibilities with that... whole equations and answers intertwined as a fugue. Take the symbols and turn them into formatting for the score (X=beat rest, +=key change, for example).

CLRV":7mekwiss said:
You know, something I have never gotten tired of is the sheer reality that music is literally a language. And yeah, that language is spectacularly well suited for math.
I remember having that realization when I was a student too. Listening to Bach´s Goldberg Variations one night I got to thinking- this is MATH!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g7LWANJFHEs" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The idea of music as numbers or code goes back a ways.

Bach was kind of a forefather of the "musical coding" idea- he´d use his name BACH (Bb, A, C, B nat) as thematic material in many of his works.

Elgar´s Enigma Variations is an entire piece based on a "mystery theme" or sequence of notes hidden within the piece. Some have spent their lifetimes trying to figure it out but nobady has the sure answer. (The leading theory is that it is an extract from Mozart Symphony #35 or 36, I can´t remember which)

In the 20th century Anton Webern wrote pieces based on licence plate numbers of cars he´d see outside his apartment in Berlin. The numbers would dictate the order of notes of the theme, or "tone row", and would be developed into an entire piece. Arnold Schoenberg was one of the first notable composers to really explore and make use of this as a compositional technique.

Ok, sorry to bore y'all!! I am smoking GH Bosun Cut Plug as I write this so it does tie in to Pipes....

This is very interesting.
If music (sound) and math are related can sound be used to represent words?
Can a series of notes represent the letters in a word and a musical score developed that represents a speech?
Perhaps you would need a cryptographic code.

Sure, it could be done, but you´d need a "primer" to keep it all straight while you´re learning for sure.:lol:

Actually language IS music and vice-versa. It is a group of sounds that have commonly recognized meaning.

There are some real easy ones in use every day, although not all are necessarily word-for-sound. They do convey a meaning through a recognizable, individual, and unique sound.

Morse code is an example of measured sounds representing letters.

A touch tone telephone has different tones for each number and symbol.

The "beep-beep-beep" when a work vehicle is going in reverse.

Military bugle calls. Each tune has a different meaning. "Taps" signals time for bed, for example.

It would be complicated to learn at first but far from impossible. Getting used to the idea of what we (Westerers) consider a "musical tone" being a letter or word would be just like learning a new language. Like Chinese sounds to Western ears.

:cat:

This just smacks of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"

Sound adds more emotion than words or numbers
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OafqYNCzq5U" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>