A Question of Length

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffy

Reaction score
I have a pipe that is seven inches long.I use it when a blend smokes a little hot.The extra length seems to cool the smoke a bit.At least I think it does.Maybe it's just this pipe.Maybe it would smoke cool even if it was shorter.What's the general opinion here on pipe lengths? Short,Long,or it makes no difference.

Longer stems equal cooler smoke, hence the churchwarden, but the construction and diameter of the airway, size of the bowl, and various other factors come into play as well.

It has been said that shorter stems produce bolder flavor, at least when compared to a churchwarden length one - something I have noticed as well.

I did a double take when I saw the post title, thinking I was on a different board. That's all I will say; jokes here could get way out of hand (although Hermit's was about as tasteful as one could be).

OK - I can't resist:

It's not the length of the pipe which matters, it's how you smoke it.

Kapnismologist":zvn54qfe said:
OK - I can't resist:

It's not the length of the pipe which matters, it's how you smoke it.
:lol!: :lol!:
Was going to say something about an open airway or restricting one!...... but after this a 4mm draft hole just wont match the size and topic! :lol:

I have a churchwarden that I have smoked on occasion. It does produce a much cooler smoke, but I have found that to be a good thing in the case of some tobacco's. They just seem to burn too hot in a shorter-stemmed pipe. Then again, sometimes it smokes too cool for some blends and I find myself puffing like a mad man to try and keep the smoke hot enough to taste. Then again, to each his own.