a question regarding Captain Black White

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogbert

Reaction score
When i first started smoking the pipe i bought a pouch of this stuff, and found that it tasted terrible. i looked it up on tobacco reviews and i couldnt help but notice people commenting on how overpoweringly sweet it is. when i smoked it, i noticed absolutely no sweetness, just awful taste, so i assumed i had an old pouch or something. about a year later i bought some more, and it was still no good.

I have always been intrigued by this tobacco, and from the reviews it sounds like i might actually enjoy it, which brings me to my question:

to anyone who smokes CBW fairly regularly, do you find that you sometimes get "bad" pouches that just taste awful?

i know it is practically ludicrous asking for advice on Captain black, but there is just some part of me that really is drawn to that white pouch haha

If you mix 3 or 4 parts plain burley, like P&W Nut Brown Burley, with 1 part CB White it's not a bad smoke at all. The stuff is just too overly manufactured on shitty tobacco to be any good straight.

I buy a pouch now and then but have never gotten a bad pouch.
Like PuffDaddy says it does make a pretty good mixer for something different now and then.
One good way to smoke it is to mix it 2:1 Carter Hall:Captain Black White. Gives it a sort of black walnut flavor.
Sometimes I'll go three parts CH to one part CBW.
It's something I only do when my sweet tooth acts up.

I smoke it regularly and have never had a bad pouch or tin either.

What I believe happens is that newer pipe smokers often start out with this, and get disappointed with the results of the smoke - which is often operator error early on. Nearly any tobacco can go south if smoked too quickly, too hot, ghosting or sour pipe, etc...

I'd suggest trying it again. It sounds like it's been some time since you've had it, and you've obviously developed your taste and techniques since then.

The more I think about it these days, the more it seems that Aromatics are better for a more experienced pipe smoker.

One of the first tobaccos I tried back as a teen. I didn't like it then, I don't like it now. Yet, a few old guys said it was the best stuff available. :lol:

I usually keep some CBW on hand...it's what I smoked in my first pipe (a lacquered mess of a basket pipe), and sometimes I fire it up just for old times sake.

What exactly is the difference between the White, Blue, and Gold blends?

tech2576":iehgibtm said:
When we were young, it was Kyle! :lol!:
I'd certainly hope so! Or those old leathertongues were just pullin' a fast one on a young, punk kid. :p

8)

idbowman":5c2t3opd said:
I usually keep some CBW on hand...it's what I smoked in my first pipe (a lacquered mess of a basket pipe), and sometimes I fire it up just for old times sake.

What exactly is the difference between the White, Blue, and Gold blends?
The Gold is 100% virginias and, to me, tastes mildly like chocolate. My wife says the room note is like someone baking choco chip cookies.
The White and the Royal contain some of the same types of tobacco in different proportions and taste different. Probably due to the different virginia cavendish that's used in the Royal.
The Royal is the most aromatic of the three and to me is also the sweetest.

tech2576":3313y5tv said:
Years ago I read the biography of Herman Lane of Lane Ltd. He stated that Captain Black always was and still is made from good quality base tobaccos, which is why it costs a little more than most of the other OTC's.

I prefer the bulk version of CBW, which is RLP-6, in order to avoid the PG. 8)

I just tried CBW for the first time, I have to admit that it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I had smoked some Super Value before and it wasn't a highly pleasurable experience. The CBW really wasn't half bad.

kaiser83":pfqjak01 said:
I just tried CBW for the first time, I have to admit that it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I had smoked some Super Value before and it wasn't a highly pleasurable experience. The CBW really wasn't half bad.
There you go, Brother! See, i'm not so crazy after all... :joker:

Rob_In_MO":dix7ysjo said:
tech2576":dix7ysjo said:
Years ago I read the biography of Herman Lane of Lane Ltd. He stated that Captain Black always was and still is made from good quality base tobaccos, which is why it costs a little more than most of the other OTC's.

I prefer the bulk version of CBW, which is RLP-6, in order to avoid the PG. 8)

I enjoy RLP-6 in a 1:1 with 1Q from time to time. Better than the more common BCAQ. For me anyway.

I was reading this thread trying to remember enough about my CB smoking days to contribute something. I wasn't a very good smoker back then, but I sure smoked a lot of it. I was reminiscing back when I was 23, the guys at the sawmill where I worked actually gave me the nick name "Captain Black"! They said I looked like a merchant sailor, with my pipe, dark beard, and the black pea-coat and watch cap I always wore in the winter. I guess when they saw what I smoked it was too good a name to pass up. That's when it hit me: I'm wearing the same damn thing in my avatar pic! That shot was taken on the morning of my 42nd birthday, and I've got the same lousy fashion sense I had nearly 20 years ago. Beard's a bit more grey, though. Maybe it's time for a makeover. :p

Although CBW was not my first I did try a few pouches very early on just because it was such a staple in the pipe smoking world. Even my 16 year old palette found it unremarkable. I then switched to Gold. I remember liking it a lot and kept on with it for several months. All the while my father was introducing me to Nightcap, 965, St.Bruno Flake, Erinmore Flake, EMP....etc. I still always kept a pouch of CB Gold on hand. Then one day, seemingly out of no where, I just stopped buying it. Haven't touched it since.

This makes me want to go out and get some CB Gold.

I liked CBW when I started smoking pipes in the early 80's. Today, I don't care for it much at all. The only OTC I like now is PA.

I've never smoked any Captain Black blend, but have to chime in because I get tired of reading that American Classic Blends, aka OTCs, are made with garbage tobacco, which simply isn't true. Inspit o what blenders and fans of so-called Premium blends try to Hype, all pipe tobacco is made with fairly decent tobacco.

idbowman":hhra9cmf said:
I enjoy RLP-6 in a 1:1 with 1Q from time to time. Better than the more common BCAQ. For me anyway.
I just tried this combination yesterday (at your suggestion), it's almost like a Chocolate/Vanilla Swirl. It seemed to alternate between the Chocolate and Vanilla notes with every few puffs. Neither was dominant over the other, nor was it at any time overbearing in any way. Smoked great all of the way down, never got bitter, and no gurgling.

I like it!

Approved-1.gif