A raised pipe to my Grandfather...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
A lot of young men look up to their fathers as a male role model. My biological father was a drunkard, and had little more than fists to do with me and my family. My current father had no idea of how to be one when I met him at the young age of six. He was out to sea quite a bit of the time, and when he was home, he didn’t want much to do with me specifically. (Just recently things have changed ((After I moved out)) ). One man I always had was my Grandfather. Besides the basic arithmetic (And even some of that), I can honestly say, that man has taught me most of what I know today. Growing up, all I wanted was to be with my Grandfather, hunting, fishing, working, whatever it be. He and I would go to yard sales. He’d take me to the place he used to work. He included me in about everything he did. “We’re partners” he’d always say. That man had more stories than anyone could count, and even though some were repeated in his old age, they were still as interesting. My father being military, we had to move away from him from time to time, just after I graduated, I moved right back with him and my Lovely Grandmother. He took me in immediately, even though it seemed my parents wanted little to do with me. Hearing, “I’m proud of you” was rare to me, but He never failed to let me know it. I’d also get a smack to the back of the head if he wasn’t, (which I learned to appreciate). I moved back home, purchased a vehicle, and got a decent paying job within two weeks, and my first day, he shook my hand, and once again, let me know how proud he was. His health started to slide, and his stories turned to instructions of what to do when he was gone. I never wanted to talk about it to him, but he made me listen. He told me to take care of my Grandmother, and take care of the GORGEOUS almost wildlife reserve he has. It got to the point where I had to miss work, because I would sit by his bedside for 8 hours at a time. Even though he wasn’t coherent most of the time, he broke through a few times to thank me, and to let me know he was proud. About a month after I moved back, and I was living in paradise, he passed. I can honestly say to you, that this man was the most important man in my life. He was hardworking, modest, strong, a good Christian, family oriented, and unconditional. I want nothing more than to live my life the way he did. A while after he passed, I was sitting in the shop where most of his stories were told, and smaller tinkering jobs were done, usually with him having a smoke, and in later years, both of us having a smoke, and I found some of his old tobacco, some Borkum Riff, some Half and Half, some Paladin Black Cherry, REALLY old. I also have his pipe. I plan to rehydrate his tobacco and smoke what he smoked out of what he smoked. I raise his pipe to my Grandfather, my best friend, my role model, and basically my father. And I pray to our Good Lord in Heaven, that He lets my Grandfather know, that I’m thankful for everything he’s taught me, and all he’s done for me.
Zach

That testament actually made me tear up a bit. You're a lucky guy, Zach. This honor is special, and recognized from someone who never had grandparents he really knew, and wished he did (me). Fortunately, my own parents' mistakes have either become mostly forgotten, or in the case of my father, forgiven--he screwed up a lot and didn't start to realize it and to change until I was about 19. It took me 10 more years to realize he meant it.

Your honor of your Grandfather will stay with you forever, and I hope you can shore-up your life with his values, intentions and foundation of what a good man should be. The fact you realize and recognize it is unique--I've known too many kids that figured if their parents were screwy, they'd just make the world pay (or punish themselves). Somehow you rose above it--and had a good guy on your side. I was pretty much alone for a long, long time, and it sucked. I still have a lot of work to do, but fortunately I finally have an ally. I'm spending as much time as I can with him before he goes, too.

From one Brother to another here who "gets it," keep looking ahead, all of this stuff will keep making you a remarkable guy!

Today, my pipe goes out to you. 8)

That is an excellent tribute.
Keeping those memories alive is what keeps are loved ones who have passed, alive.
Cheers,
Chris.

I've said it before, and I'll say it now: May the smoke carry our love and prayers to the heavens above.

I echo the sentiments of those who spoke before me. A wonderful tribute. I too got a bit bleary eyed while I read. A pipe in his honor shall be smoked this evening, to be sure.

Wonderful tribute. I'm not very good with words, but I hope that your memories of him, and the memories brought from his pipe and tobacco can give you some measure of comfort for many years to come.

Kyle, thank you, that really meant alot. What's funny about it is, I was being destructive to myself. I was failing highschool, and while my father was busy throwing me into walls, (One of the reasons I moved out right away), my Grandfather was letting me know that I could do it. The reason I passed with close to perfect grades was because of him. One of my biggest fears was letting down the man who had given me so much. So despite failing a few classes, I, "Bucked it up, and did what I had to do. I had to be there anyway" like he told me. He's the reason I feel I was one of those "wrong generation" kids. I wear a flatcap, smoke a pipe, say please and thank you, and don't spend all day indoors. I enjoy working, and I won't take what I don't deserve. There's nothing really special about me, it's all him. Thank you to those who have read, and to those who will be raising a pipe to my Grandfather. It's much appreciated. He deserves more than I gave him.
I posted this, because it's near his Birthday. He passed in October.
Thank you all,
Zach

GuitarMyFriend":netfxhpz said:
Kyle, thank you, that really meant alot. What's funny about it is, I was being destructive to myself. I was failing highschool, and while my father was busy throwing me into walls, (One of the reasons I moved out right away), my Grandfather was letting me know that I could do it. The reason I passed with close to perfect grades was because of him. One of my biggest fears was letting down the man who had given me so much. So despite failing a few classes, I, "Bucked it up, and did what I had to do. I had to be there anyway" like he told me. He's the reason I feel I was one of those "wrong generation" kids. I wear a flatcap, smoke a pipe, say please and thank you, and don't spend all day indoors. I enjoy working, and I won't take what I don't deserve. There's nothing really special about me, it's all him. Thank you to those who have read, and to those who will be raising a pipe to my Grandfather. It's much appreciated. He deserves more than I gave him.
Thank you all,
Zach
Zach, you are wise beyond your years. Your tribute to your Grandfather is well thought out and comes from the heart. He certainly seems like a major positive influence on your life.

Looks like you are following in his footsteps.

Thanks for the personal insights.

Cheers,

RR

GuitarMyFriend":yyb8bzg0 said:
Thank you all,
Zach
...hmmm, must be something about life experience, I wear drivers and apple caps (and know to call them caps!), fedoras, jackets and am often seen with a pipe. I hold doors open for people. I say "Yes sir," and "Yes ma'am," to my elders (and often for people that need to hear it). I engage in pleasant conversation to someone who needs cheering up or to not feel akward. I'm punctual. I do what I say I'm going to do. Among other things, I really want to be the kind of person I wish the world had more of--someone like your grandfather (and now you!).

There IS something special about you, Zach, don't sell yourself short: you had EVERY opportunity, it sounds like, to go down a dark path and yet you didn't. When someone offers you a hand, that takes two, not just one. Even then, many ignore the offer. Me? I was wasting my time, tearing around the West, living in my car for some years before I turned 18, running. I didn't finish high school. I never got good grades. No one was there. I still stayed alive, stayed good, never turned on myself or others--I just didn't get ahead. I'm making up for lost time, now, because finally, I have the opportunity. Mine just came a little late. It's all relative, because it's you who chooses to do this in the end.

In my book, you're a badass as much as your grandfather. He's proud, real proud--I just know it. 8)

Here's a couple Pictures of what I've found of Gramps Pipe smoking...
Here's his collection;

Here's his Smokemaster Series 200;

Here's just his tobacco (Paladin BlackCherry, Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey, Amphora Extra Mild Cavendish, Sail, and Sugar Barrel);

Back when Borkum Riff was 0.71 for 1.5 ounces;

They all sort of smell the same, so I'm worried about what it'll taste like when I rehydrate it. Any thoughts?

Sheesh, considering they weren't stored at all, I wouldn't expect them to do too much. From what I can see, they're all common "OTC" blends, and some, even when fresh, leave something to be desired (or I'm just a damn snob, now...). :lol:

You might be better off hunting down the brands and mixtures and keeping the packaging--some good lettering and imagery on them! Then again, feel free to try and revive them. *shrug* They won't hurt ya. (Hopefully not, anyway... :twisted: :twisted: )

8)

That was definately a thought. I'll have to look into it. I know they still sell Paladin, and Borkum (Of course). I'll have to look into the others. They are definately pretty though.
Zach

Yes, wonderful story Zach. I lost my grandfather years ago, when I was 20. Didn't realize at the time just how much me meant to me.

Regarding the OTC blends, I believe they're all still available. Might take some hunting/searching to find all of them though.

I believe that Amphora is no longer OTC in the great U.S. of A. I could be mistaken, but I'm too lazy to look it up. The others are around, here and there. I really cannot knock OTC brands; they serve their purpose, and I've had many a good bowl with them. It's just that there's so much else out there for the adventuresome. There is one exception: The Paladin Black Cherry is like smoking a urinal cake, in my opinion. And this is coming from someone who actually is capable of smoking Mixture 79 to the bottom of the bowl.

Richard Burley":3vb1yzji said:
And this is coming from someone who actually is capable of smoking Mixture 79 to the bottom of the bowl.
That's almost as bad as the Paladin Black Cherry! Both are Terrible IMHO, and I like aromatics and keep CBW in my regular rotation.

Guitarmyfriend all ways remember your grandfather. With what you say, he was a good man, and sounds like he was teaching you to be a good man. This world today is in great need of good men, and looks like you are on your way. Also remember the Lord has ways of letting us know what He wants us to know. Id say thats why your grand father was in your life. So live life well and be someone to know and love. I raise my pipe to you and your grandfather. Im a grandfather myself now and have been raising my grandaughter since she was born. Letting the ones you love know you are proud of them is very important.

Beautiful tribute to your Grandfather, Zach, I really enjoyed reading it. I will raise my pipe to your Grandfather. Always keep his memory alive!

Happy Smokes!

Lou

Though Amphora isn't available in the US anymore to my knowledge, G&H Red Style is pretty dern close at least to my recollection. It's available from smokingpipes.com.

Jim