A RANT ABOUT "NEW" PIPE CARVERS

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get your money back, like yesterday. Even if he should make you a pipe today, it's likely to be one he tosses off quickly, to reflect the loss of his current price. Know what I'm sayin'?  ;)

Richard Burley":ap83losr said:
Get your money back, like yesterday. Even if he should make you a pipe today, it's likely to be one he tosses off quickly, to reflect the loss of his current price. Know what I'm sayin'?  ;)

Sean, the above quote would be my reply as well.

And like good friend Lee Von Erck told a roomful of guests at a recent pipe show while delivering a speech. Directed at the many younger new pipe makers. "Don't give up your day job". LOL
I have experienced the same situation as you have, where they all of a sudden become a popular pipe star and their prices average from $250-$300 and within a year jump up into the $400+ bracket. The majority of the new pipe makers are nothing more than a flash in the pan and will be gone in a few years. That's where the experienced pipe maker that has earned his/her keep and built a reputation over years of devotion to perfecting their craft comes into play. These are the makers that I admire and will buy their pipes.

I wish you luck and a pleasant outcome with this transaction. Hope to see you in the near future.
Andy

puros_bran":lw6ueemb said:
Next time buy from an established pipe house off of an established retailer....... I'll buy a Dunhill/Castello/Etc if I have to pay those kind of prices.. At least then I have resale.  
PB: How long have we known each other? you know me better than that!:p   I do and I have! I support several B&M shops and established / well known pipe carvers.

MisterE":lw6ueemb said:
Even if a pipe ever shows up, the bad experience will probably leave a sour taste in it.
Eric: Sadly, I think you are right......

monbla256":lw6ueemb said:
As others have pointed out, there are OTHER custom pipe makers here on this Forum who have a history of honoring their commitments and as such, I would ONLY deal with them !! :twisted:
Monbla256: I have several pipes from carvers that are members here. Anyone that knows me or has seen my collection can attest, I do a very good job of supporting the Brothers & Sisters of Briar (Scottie is on my short list for something new!  ;)

scotties22":lw6ueemb said:
Then again, I have no desire to be a rockstar....I just wanna make a great pipe at a great price. 8)
Scottie: You are a "Rock Star" in my book!!!! ;)

Richard Burley":lw6ueemb said:
RB: My feelings exactly.......

docwatson":lw6ueemb said:
I wish you luck and a pleasant outcome with this transaction. Hope to see you in the near future.
Andy
Andy: You know me Andy, I won't let anyone pull one over on me! I really liked what I saw from these guys, but I guess I can always buy from someone I know and can TRUST!!!

PS: The Kaywoodie Holiday Extravaganza is being planned for December! :santa:  We are looking at shooting some Trap and Skeet before the event at the Gun Club that hosted us last year. Bring your "Boom Stick" and lots of AMMO!!!!!!! :lol!:

Skeet at the Holiday pipe extravaganza. ALL RIGHT. I'll be there. Sounds like a doubly good time. Pipes, tobacco, guns and ammo. LOL.... not to mention some great food and libations.
AC

This is why I prefer to sell pipes directly from my website. You see something you like, you buy at the listed price.

But I will do custom work on my terms. I only accept custom requests that I know I can do. I never do custom work that can not be listed on my website if the customer does not buy. I do not ask for deposits or prepayments. When done, I send pics to the customer. He likes, he buys. He doesn't like, it gets listed. I do tell them up front what the price will be.

anything can happen when you're dealing with a one-man show, including -- if the man is unscrupulous -- seeing your pipe delivered to another for a higher bid. Pipes don't exactly have a lot of moving parts. A good carver should be able to turn 'em out pretty fast. No need for delays and ridiculous excuses. Two lessons here: no full payment up front ... And there are lots of competitively priced, high quality pipes available that can be in your hands within a week. Good luck.