A Safe Way To Clean Meerschaum?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Mouse

Reaction score
I noticed tonight, after finishing a smoke in my Calabash, that the rim of the meerschaum bowl is getting quite dark. Yes, I know that meerschaum colours and doesn't come off, duh, but there's also a darker film on there that appears to just be gunk that can be removed. Kind of like a marshmallow that you've roasted over the fire. I got a bit off there with just my finger, but there's some stubborn film left that I'd like to take off. Is there anything out there that I could use to SAFELY aid in removing some of this junk?

Let me know...

I use Bourbon to clean all my meers, but if you need something stronger for stubborn spots, you can always use Everclear PGA.

If you have a burn from your tobacco touching the rim, or direct contact with a flame, I don't think you will ever be able to get that black off.

Only use a little bit, just enough to have moisture on the cloth and once you finish make sure you immediately wipe your bowl out with a dry paper towel or something along those lines. Burns will stay, cake you can normally get off the edge immediately following a smoke with a little saliva.