A sign of things to come...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
This is the second evening on the trot that I've found myself outside on the patio smoking a blend by Gauntleys. The clean, fresh, sweet and slightly damp air gifted by the 'shire at this time of year, coupled with the stillness of the creeping darkness has helped me to reflect on my busy life. Upon lighting up, Orion is reaching out from behind the evergreen at the end of the garden and by the time the bowl has come to rest he's in full flight across the night sky. Jupiter has kept a watchful eye as I find peace in the world. Peering up at the night sky and savouring the moment I find myself planning this year's adventures with my family and wondering what the BoB are up to, perhaps busy in their lives or savouring a similar moment. Back inside now and the hectic house is quiet barring the beat of my longcase. Two more tins of baccy have just been ordered; SG's Black Cherry and, upon the recommendation of fellow brothers, Firedance flake (hoping this will broaden my horizons a little). Yup, this sure is a sign of things to come...

When I sit down for a bowl at anytime, which is usually morning, noon and dusk I find myself doing exactly what you have done will smoking your pipe. Thinking things over, contemplating something I'm working on and how best to do it, or just day dreaming about times past, present or future. It's my time for relaxing and enjoying. I find it a welcomed get away from the daily drudge of life and a 2nd breather shall we say.
Do you write for a living, if not you might want to think about it next time you have a bowl. ;) 

Interesting that you should reply Cart as your avatar sprung to mind as I was halfway through the bowl; for me the scene epitomises what smoking a pipe is all about. I don't write for a living, but love to write. Someday, when my studying is finished, I'd like to write a book. I've got a few ideas but nothing is firm. My main inspiration has been the mountains and I've found myself writing in what I would describe as creative; not a poem and not prose but somewhere in between. If I pluck up enough courage I may well share some with the brothers, a first public viewing!!!!

That's as sweetly stated a case for the private pleasure of smoking pipes as I've had the pleasure of reading. Very nicely done.

Stick":p1x9mt81 said:
Interesting that you should reply Cart as your avatar sprung to mind as I was halfway through the bowl; for me the scene epitomises what smoking a pipe is all about. I don't write for a living, but love to write. Someday, when my studying is finished, I'd like to write a book. I've got a few ideas but nothing is firm. My main inspiration has been the mountains and I've found myself writing in what I would describe as creative; not a poem and not prose but somewhere in between. If I pluck up enough courage I may well share some with the brothers, a first public viewing!!!!
Having my Avatar/Photo spring to mind must have been frightful to say the least.
Myself and others will be more then grateful to read some of your writings I'm sure.
Most of all don't give up hope of pursuing what you enjoy.

Nice mental images you conjure up Mr. Stick. Well executed.

Yes, you certainly seem to have a way with words and I'd encourage you to pursue your dream of writing. Even if only for a bit of a lark.

Hope you enjoy that Sammy G's Firedance.

Cheers,

RR

Blighty...on the trot..must be in the UK. And Stick, is that in "put a bit of stick about" ? Me Liverpool born and Wiltshire raised by RAF parents. Now I'm in Michigan.

Stick":q84ndjpb said:
 The clean, fresh, sweet and slightly damp air gifted by the 'shire at this time of year....
Obviously not the old historic county of Middlesex!

In any case, well said.  BTW, if you are up early, Venus and Mars are currently visible just before dawn (as I see when I leave for work)

taja-big dog":0i53flsw said:
Blighty...on the trot..must be in the UK. And Stick, is that in "put a bit of stick about" ? Me Liverpool born and Wiltshire raised by RAF parents. Now I'm in Michigan.
Hey Big Dog,
Yes, am in the UK. My colleagues all call me 'Stick' due to my lean build, and it's stuck! So you're an Anfield boy...!?

DrT999":zp5nu0yl said:
Stick":zp5nu0yl said:
 The clean, fresh, sweet and slightly damp air gifted by the 'shire at this time of year....

In any case, well said.  BTW, if you are up early, Venus and Mars are currently visible just before dawn (as I see when I leave for work)
Thanks DrT, I'll keep a look out as I'm out early too. If they're low to the horizon though I'll struggle as there's a few trees round us...

Stick, you sure have the ability to wax poetic! Keep it up my friend!

Stick":jaox2ts5 said:
DrT999":jaox2ts5 said:
Stick":jaox2ts5 said:

Thanks DrT, I'll keep a look out as I'm out early too.  If they're low to the horizon though I'll struggle as there's a few trees round us...
Not sure when Venus will sink low, but it wasn't yet this morning! Mars was just over on the western side